The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

54 minutes ago, peanuts said:

looks like Bolton are in serious trouble after thier takeover has fallen through winding up order issued 

Yep. Really worrying for Bolton and all their fans. They have just been saying on the radio that there are still parties interested in taking over but it's all very late in the day. Fingers crossed something turns up. 

It seems that one fairly positive story, see Blackpool last week, is then trumped by another negative one. The life of a football fan is never smooth...... actually it is almost always agony! 

With there being no top flight football this weekend, I would encourage people to get along and support their local non-league team in order to get your live football fix! Forget this international carry on, go and enjoy some proper football! :derisive: You never know, you may actually enjoy it......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, south_tyne said:

With there being no top flight football this weekend, I would encourage people to get along and support their local non-league team in order to get your live football fix! Forget this international carry on, go and enjoy some proper football! :derisive: You never know, you may actually enjoy it......

I would have, as normal. However, our opponents, North Ferriby United, were wound up at the start of the week. Our chairman has put on a social event instead, since home games have been hard to come by at the moment; we haven't had one in March, and only three this year.

6 hours ago, 62613 said:

I would have, as normal. However, our opponents, North Ferriby United, were wound up at the start of the week. Our chairman has put on a social event instead, since home games have been hard to come by at the moment; we haven't had one in March, and only three this year.

Such a shame for the North Ferriby fans. It's only a few years since their FA Trophy triumph but shows how quickly things can turn. 

Out of interest, which is your club? Sounds like a good idea for this coming weekend as you don't have a game - I hope it is a success. 

The NPL is a very interesting league. Up here we have South Shields and Whitby in the Premier Division and Morpeth and Marske in the level below, all of whom are doing well. Shields have been a juggernaut over recent years and are getting crowds of 1,500+ every week. They are our local rivals and we have a very complicated (to put it mildly!!), inter-twined history. They have ambition to get back into the Football League in the long-term, although they certainly haven't had it all their own way this season. 

12 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Such a shame for the North Ferriby fans. It's only a few years since their FA Trophy triumph but shows how quickly things can turn. 

Out of interest, which is your club? Sounds like a good idea for this coming weekend as you don't have a game - I hope it is a success. 

The NPL is a very interesting league. Up here we have South Shields and Whitby in the Premier Division and Morpeth and Marske in the level below, all of whom are doing well. Shields have been a juggernaut over recent years and are getting crowds of 1,500+ every week. They are our local rivals and we have a very complicated (to put it mildly!!), inter-twined history. They have ambition to get back into the Football League in the long-term, although they certainly haven't had it all their own way this season. 

Stalybridge Celtic. It's as interesting for us as well, what with us and Hyde United in the Premier Division, and Droylsden and Mossley (and Glossop!) in the West Division. Any suggestion of amalgamating any of the six clubs in Tameside is fiercely resisted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Stalybridge Celtic. It's as interesting for us as well, what with us and Hyde United in the Premier Division, and Droylsden and Mossley (and Glossop!) in the West Division. Any suggestion of amalgamating any of the six clubs in Tameside is fiercely resisted.

Ah great, proper club! It's good when you have lots of local interest like that. There has always been a reluctance for Northern League clubs to go up to the NPL due to the increased travelling costs, with the vast majority of clubs being based around Greater Manchester. The majority have refused promotion, save for Darlington and Spennymoor in recent times, but I have always found that a bizarre attitude. The FA have now made it compulsory to go up, hence having Morpeth and Marske in the East division now. My logic has always been that, given 4 or 5 years, half the league will be from the North East if clubs go up from the Northern League, so that perceived hinderance will disappear.

The Northern League can often come across as a little insular, with the tight geography and identity both working as a positive and a negative. I know some parts of the country were getting heartily fed up of our domination of the FA Vase. The recent restructure of the leagues would appear to be a positive, although I understand there some further tinkering to coming. The obvious concern is finding clubs to fill the Northern League to replace teams who get promoted to the NPL. 

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Div'nt forget Blyth Spartans . . . .

Of course, I wouldn't dare....... even though I am an arch rival Gateshead fan! :jester:

Blyth left the Northern League quite a long time ago now after being stalwarts for years, but have since risen through the NLP to bigger and better things in the Conference North. Also Whitby did come up quite a while ago too. Looks like it may be Dunston this season as champions and I know Bishop Auckland also have ambitions to push on and are desperate to finish in the top two. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love reading about these lower league clubs - proper football! Followers of The Fort, incidentally, will have been pleased to see that they scored a goal last weekend. Rather less happily, their opponents scored 12.

DT

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Torper said:

I love reading about these lower league clubs - proper football! Followers of The Fort, incidentally, will have been pleased to see that they scored a goal last weekend. Rather less happily, their opponents scored 12.

DT

I love following the Highland League,  I always have done since I was a lad. I think it is due to some bizarre romanticism and having always had a strange love of the more remote and obscure - that applies both equally to football and railways. Or then again, maybe it's just that I'm a weirdo! :laugh_mini:

Poor old Fort William..... their goal difference has now reached -132 and they're still on -7 points, so I think the chance of them finishing the season back in the positive are slim to none. At least they keep plodding on. Noting the railway connection, it's good to see Inverurie Loco Works doing so well! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2019 at 13:58, 62613 said:

The Bower Fold is one of the most delightful grounds that I have visited, even the name is one of the best. I would hope to visit again next season with Atherton Collieries but things are tight at the top of the West Division with only four points covering the top four teams. It was looking like a straight contest bewteen Colls and Runcorn but then Radcliffe put some results together and now Ramsbottom have barged in. Going to be a close finish!

Colls have scored 72 goals in 30 games which has somewhat made up for the lack of goals at BWFC!

David

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

The Bower Fold is one of the most delightful grounds that I have visited, even the name is one of the best. I would hope to visit again next season with Atherton Collieries but things are tight at the top of the West Division with only four points covering the top four teams. It was looking like a straight contest bewteen Colls and Runcorn but then Radcliffe put some results together and now Ramsbottom have barged in. Going to be a close finish!

Colls have scored 72 goals in 30 games which has somewhat made up for the lack of goals at BWFC!

David

Personally, I'm rooting for Mossley, who seem to be clinging onto a playoff place. Everyone who ever visits Seel Park says it's super ground, mainly because of the views.

Good to see Scotland bounce back this afternoon after the events of last week. Terrible game by all accounts but the important thing was to get a win and secure the three points. 

It was really pleasing yesterday afternoon that League 1, League 2, the National League and below got a lot of exposure on national radio. Rather than cutting back, as they have done sometimes at international break time, 5 Live had a full afternoon of football chat, coverage and reports foused on League 1 and below. It was a fantastic listen and hopefully helped to remind folk that there is plenty of life (often much more interesting!) outside the Premier League. 

• Like 1

As a result of North Ferriby's demise, Stalybridge have risen a place in the NPL Premier; NFU's record was expunged; they are counted as finishing last, with zero points, and points gained by other clubs were, of course, also removed. The ramifications for promotion and relegation are unclear at the moment.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 62613 said:

.....But, sadly, no results service on BBC TV (don't do SKY).

True. Me neither, but I am big fan of 5 Live coverage and actually prefer it to the television. I absolutely love the Monday Night Club, that's a highlight of my week. Always cracking discussion and debate, sadly not on this week because of some international carry on (!!), but I would highly recommend it for a listen. 

• Agree 1

good news at last for us latics fans that a deal has been agreed with a consortium including the supporters  trust to purchase and secure the whole of Boundary park and surounding land from the current owners .bringing us one step closer to having the whole 

so the plot thikens at boundary patk with the resignation of paul sholes after 31 days supporter unrest predictably reached boiling point with outright lies being told to supporters by the owner .the supporters trust quickly arranged an open meeting for supporters to plan a method of protesting and getting through to the owner .the owner has so far over 14 months of ownership failed to engage with a single one of the EFL mandated meetings with fans required of him suddenley 24hrs  nefore the afore mentioned trust supporters meeting he calls a quiet private meeting with 20 hand picked supporters for a q& a where he vhallenges some of the parting comments from paul scholes leading to his resignation .significantly trust representatives were initialey invited the uninvited  before being re invited when it was to late for him to attend .this has lead to a split amongst supporters with many choosing to believe what was revealed at both the meeting and preceding skysports interview even the many of his comments were proven to be false . the plot at ice station zebra thikens watch this space 

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, 62613 said:

As a result of North Ferriby's demise, Stalybridge have risen a place in the NPL Premier; NFU's record was expunged; they are counted as finishing last, with zero points, and points gained by other clubs were, of course, also removed. The ramifications for promotion and relegation are unclear at the moment.

It will be interesting to see how it impacts on both the re-aligned table and the remainder of the season. Really sad to see the demise of North Ferriby but it is a fascinating division with lots still to play for. 

For anyone interested, there's a very quick rundown of the initial ramifications here on the table in the Non-League Paper: https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/26315/the-implications-of-north-ferribys-liquidation/

Edited by south_tyne
Added link

And the second most obvious decision in football is about to be made.... goodbye Mr MacLeish

In fairness, bad results aside, apparently the man is unwell and there was a "deeply troubling episode" ahead of the win in San Marino that left the SFA concerned that McLeish's health is being adversely affected by the role. 

7 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

And the second most obvious decision in football is about to be made.... goodbye Mr MacLeish

In fairness, bad results aside, apparently the man is unwell and there was a "deeply troubling episode" ahead of the win in San Marino that left the SFA concerned that McLeish's health is being adversely affected by the role. 

That's a shame, health is far more important than football. Interestingly, Moyes is evidently the bookies favourite but he was on 5 Live on Tuesday night saying that ha wasn't interested in the job and wanted to get back into club management. Obviously that could quickly change if MacLeish is sacked or resigns. It might be that they need a positive figurehead, such as Southgate, backed up by top coaches to work on the training pitch. No idea who that would be mind, so I have no answers! 

It's strange as some things for Scotland are really positive - notably some great young players like Robertson, Tierney, Fraser etc - but things are just not working on the pitch. It's lack of strength and depth which is the problem.