The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

I once heard Rangers and Celtic described as the elephant in Scottish football's living room, squashing everyone else, whichever way they turn.  The danger now, is that after thirty four years of utter dominance in winning the league (despite Rangers financial collapse and rebuilding) the two clubs are slowly suffocating the life out of the other clubs and their fans and it is very clear that no one else can ever hope to challenge them again for the top honour.  Indeed the Scottish Premier League was created in 1975 to make the League more competitive, but on only four occasions in the 1980s was the league won by anyone outwith the Old Firm (only 19 times ever in the history of the game)   Ideally they should be allowed to play in the Premiership, but I can understand why they are not wanted thanks to their historical baggage, equally, despite a huge following they have no chance in playing in any European Elite league if it was ever formed.  Life will go on as it has done for years past, it won't get better and I hate it.

Jim

Yes I agree with all of the above. As for the English Premier League, I can't see it happening, because they have no right to do so. Who would volunteer to give up their position? No one, least of all Championship sides who finished in the playoff positions.

The best they can ever hope for, is to join the playoffs for much lower divisions, perhaps Division 2 at best. If 'successful', then they would need to work their way up, just like any other English (or Welsh for that matter) club.

Obviously, Rangers have recent experience of doing just that. Of course there is no guarantee that Rangers and/or Celtic could do it. Imagine if either 'got stuck' in the Championship League? The respective fans would really have something to complain about.

We used to think that Celtic were miles better than the rest of Scotland's Premiership because they always seemed to win by a huge margin. Now Man City have raced away with the EPL title does that mean the rest of the English teams are useless? I don't think so. 

Swansea 0 - 0 Southampton at half time!

Thats a big boing boing for the Baggies.....

Phil

Must admit I am hoping for a draw and rooting for the Baggies because of Darren Moore. A true gent who has worked wonders for them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Swansea 0 - 0 Southampton at half time!

Thats a big boing boing for the Baggies.....

Phil

Sorry Phil, been there and got the t shirt.

• RMweb Gold

Ah well it had to end - but very exciting none the less!

Hope the owners do the decent thing by Mr Moore....

Boing boing we will be back..... :sungum:

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

*tries to work out the permutations of a draw. Fails*

If draw tonight then Swansea needed to lose to Stoke, Southampton to lose to Man City and West Brom to win at Palace at the weekend whilst increasing their goal difference compared to Southamptons by 4

But all academic now....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

What worries me as a Saints fan is people thinking that after tonight's win (the deflected OG was hardly a convincing result) that the GD is so unlikely to be swung on Sunday as to make Saints safe. Given the teams a 0-6 & 4-0 is not implausible if Stoke don't bother to fight.

• RMweb Gold

I wrote here a couple of months back that, as the top teams have done so well this year (Spurs in 3rd have enough points to be 1st in other times), 35 would see a side safe from relegation.

Unless Swansea win on Sunday, that will be spot on.

Full sympathy to the Baggies fans - at least you've gone down with a degree of respect. 

Speaking as a follower of QPR, I'd have enjoyed seeing Mark Hughes take the tumble rather than jumping ship!

• RMweb Gold

Full sympathy to the Baggies fans - at least you've gone down with a degree of respect. 

Speaking as a follower of QPR, I'd have enjoyed seeing Mark Hughes take the tumble rather than jumping ship!

He did not jump. He was pushed.

And from Stoke - not from WBA.

He did not jump. He was pushed.

And from Stoke - not from WBA.

Er, you thought I wasn't aware that he was sacked by Stoke after leading them towards inevitable relegation???

The point stands - he has been responsible for taking teams to the drop, but it has never been his lot to have gone down with them or having to fight his way up outside the Premier League.

• RMweb Gold

Er, you thought I wasn't aware that he was sacked by Stoke after leading them towards inevitable relegation???

The point stands - he has been responsible for taking teams to the drop, but it has never been his lot to have gone down with them or having to fight his way up outside the Premier League.

Based on the text of your previous post, not an unreasonable interpretation.

Not sure (I have certainly forgotten something) why being a QPR supporter makes you so anti-Hughes.

But his record with Wales and Man City was good. Only sacked at City because of new mega-rich owners.

• RMweb Gold

Apart from the fact that only a few clubs (Leicester excepted, of course) seem to have any prospect of winning the Premiership, I do find it regrettable that Premiership football is so unevenly spread across the country. That can't help it succeed.

Next season, we may well have seven London clubs and four from elsewhere in the South-East (Bournemouth is only technically in the South West). With five from the North-West, that does not leave much for the rest of the country.

A pity that Bristol City lost their way during the season. For quite a while there has only been one club from the West Midlands and for a long time there were none from the East Midlands. And currently only one Yorkshire club.

Next season, we may well have seven London clubs and four from elsewhere in the South-East (Bournemouth is only technically in the South West). With five from the North-West, that does not leave much for the rest of the country.

A pity that Bristol City lost their way during the season. For quite a while there has only been one club from the West Midlands and for a long time there were none from the East Midlands. And currently only one Yorkshire club.

...and only one club in Manchester  :onthequiet:

Not sure (I have certainly forgotten something) why being a QPR supporter makes you so anti-Hughes.

But his record with Wales and Man City was good. Only sacked at City because of new mega-rich owners.

While at QPR he drained the coffers by signing over-paid has-beens stars who either played infrequently or seriously under-performed.  The team were left struggling with an astronomical wage bill for bench warming.

Of course, his style of clean, open football endeared him to rival supporters while at Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City (q.v.)

• RMweb Premium

Next season, we may well have seven London clubs and four from elsewhere in the South-East (Bournemouth is only technically in the South West).

A kind of Network SouthEast sub-division perhaps?

...and only one club in Manchester  :onthequiet:

While at QPR he drained the coffers by signing over-paid has-beens stars who either played infrequently or seriously under-performed.  The team were left struggling with an astronomical wage bill for bench warming.

Of course, his style of clean, open football endeared him to rival supporters while at Wales, Blackburn and Manchester City (q.v.)

the fact that he has failed yet again can only ever go down well at boundary park where he will never ever be forgiven for THAT goal and our inexorable slide into the basement since . bitter twisted me never 

• RMweb Gold

One place still to be decided in next year's Premier League. Could be from the West or East Midlands, also could be another London club or a second North Eastern club.

You're one up as I type. ;) How many points did you finish behind Fulham. :read: 

You're one up as I type. ;) How many points did you finish behind Fulham. :read:

Not that old chestnut. The rules were there at the start of the season, just as they were when we finished 3rd with the highest ever points total outside the top three and still did not go up. That said, we stole the 1-0 today, I doubt very much we will hold on at Craven Cottage.

Not that old chestnut. The rules were there at the start of the season, just as they were when we finished 3rd with the highest ever points total outside the top three and still did not go up. That said, we stole the 1-0 today, I doubt very much we will hold on at Craven Cottage.

Let's hope it doesn't snow!