The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

As a way of keeping the League alive a bit longer it works but there surely there could be a fairer system, the top three unpromoted clubs guaranteed of home ties in the next seasons FA cup for example.

The team finishing 3rd does not always go up via the Play-offs. If you did some research you'd find that since the "Championship" Play Off Finals began the team finishing 3rd has been promoted to the Premiership on only 12 out of 29 occasions. Probably something to do with the disappointment of just missing out on automatic promotion.

No idea about how the Lower League Play Offs compare.

As for the irrelevant F.A.Cup suggestion I'm sure Middlesbrough fans would have much rather foregone the Play-Off Final in exchange for a 3rd Round F.A.Cup home tie against Rochdale next season.....not....

Edited by cary hill

The team, in this case Watford , that finish second get nothing to shew for their efforts.

It might show in their bank account though .....£97M. even if they finish bottom of the Premiership next year.

Have they fixed their ground yet - it was a bomb site two years ago when I last went?

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

It might show in their bank account .....£97M. even if they finished bottom of the Premiership.

Have they fixed their ground yet it was a bomb site two years ago when I last went?

I actually meant something they could put in a trophy cabinet.

I actually meant something they could put in a trophy cabinet.

They would probably have had to have sent any trophies won over to Udinese anyway, though I gather half the Udinese team might be moving to Watford for next season, so it won't be a problem next season.

It might show in their bank account though .....£97M. even if they finish bottom of the Premiership next year.

Have they fixed their ground yet - it was a bomb site two years ago when I last went?

That place is incorrigible. I once attended a business seminar in the bar (named Elton's) and found the atmosphere quite unprepossessing.

Never try to drive through there on a match day.

I see the silly season has begun already. Nigel Clough sacked after reaching the play offs and the League Cup semi finals. Steve McLaren sacked for an injury hit end of season slide down the table. Joke!

The team finishing 3rd does not always go up via the Play-offs. If you did some research you'd find that since the "Championship" Play Off Finals began the team finishing 3rd has been promoted to the Premiership on only 12 out of 29 occasions. Probably something to do with the disappointment of just missing out on automatic promotion.

No idea about how the Lower League Play Offs compare.

As for the irrelevant F.A.Cup suggestion I'm sure Middlesbrough fans would have much rather foregone the Play-Off Final in exchange for a 3rd Round F.A.Cup home tie against Rochdale next season.....not....

In the first year of the play offs, 1986 1987, in division 4 Aldershot (remember them!) finished 6th on 70 points and  beat Wolves, who were 4th with 79, to gain promotion

Aldershot had already beaten division 3 Bolton  who got relegated from division 3 to division 4 in the process

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

I see the silly season has begun already. Nigel Clough sacked after reaching the play offs and the League Cup semi finals. Steve McLaren sacked for an injury hit end of season slide down the table. Joke!

Not so silly at Bramall Lane, we achieved that despite having Mr Clough as manager.

As I theorised earlier on in the season, he flatlined early on and I could see we were going nowhere, some of his in match decisions had to be seen to be believed, and I wasn't a fan of him blaming players for faults in the post match interview.

Pity he's gone though, another period of instability beckons.

Unless Sir Neil and Mr McCabe bury the hatchet, I can't see a way out of this short term, although I'd love to be proved wrong.

Mike.

Not so silly at Bramall Lane, we achieved that despite having Mr Clough as manager.

As I theorised earlier on in the season, he flatlined early on and I could see we were going nowhere, some of his in match decisions had to be seen to be believed, and I wasn't a fan of him blaming players for faults in the post match interview.

Pity he's gone though, another period of instability beckons.

Unless Sir Neil and Mr McCabe bury the hatchet, I can't see a way out of this short term, although I'd love to be proved wrong.

Mike.

Oh the blaming of players - yes it is one of his less admirable traits!

What in match decisions did you not like? Could it be the throwing on hundreds of defensive players to hang on to a 1-0 lead with half an hour remaining?

Football, where it is accepted by many that stability is usually one ingredient for success.

Looking at the list of managers only 3 have been at their club for over 5 years, (though I think quite a few Exeter fans want rid of Paul Tisdale)

over 50 clubs have had a manager for less than a year, and six clubs have no manager at present!

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Another abject capitulation from Liverpool against Stoke. I wonder if next season will be the same.......*groan*

Don't see why not!

What a great send off for Gerrard - not!

• RMweb Gold

What in match decisions did you not like? Could it be the throwing on hundreds of defensive players to hang on to a 1-0 lead with half an hour remaining?

Compounded by then leaving the opposition defenders with nothing to do but advance in to our half and create/score goals to beat us 2-1.

He obviously honed that one at Derby?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I see West Ham have qualified for the Europa fair play thingy.

Starting early July, four rounds (both home and away I presume) just to qualify for the group stages.

Yes, I know they are a pampered lot but it seems to be asking a lot from the players to me. Is it worth the hassle?

Not just speaking West Ham here but any team with that schedule.

That qualifying round is very early. Players should have some sort of decent break considering the demands they face through the season. Everyone is entitled to a holiday, even over paid footballers. I wonder if West Ham will have a manager by the time the start in the Europa qualifiers!

Starting early July, four rounds (both home and away I presume) just to qualify for the group stages.

Yes, I know they are a pampered lot but it seems to be asking a lot from the players to me. Is it worth the hassle?

blood a load of fringe/youngsters in the early games give them a chance to shine in something other than the league cup ?

• RMweb Gold

I am certainly glad that West Ham have somehow managed to take that "prize".

I am certainly glad that West Ham have somehow managed to take that "prize".

It's ironic really, as West Ham have been playing like team on "holiday" since Christmas, and now they won't get a proper holiday thanks to winning the poisoned chalice of a Europa League place.