The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

How I feel for Adam Federici the Reading Goalkeeper after the mistake he made yesterday at Wembley in the FA Cup semi final against Arsenal.He was having a great game and then one fatal incident cost his side dear.

It was a good game,  made by both sides and Reading were not being outclassed by the Gooner's, in fact I thought they deserved to be winning. We will certainly see and hear a lot more of Adam Federici  when he returns stronger from this horrible event .Keep your head held high mate,

What is the situation with promotion to and from the Scottish leagues? Aren't the top 4 leagues there something of a closed shop? Or is the occasional team voted in or out?

Anyway, you're not the only ones following the bizarre stats in the Highland League. I always watch the results anticipating the odd 8-0! If you look at the table, it's quite possible that 5 or even 6 clubs will have conceded 100 goals by the end of their 34-game season (although Brora and others have already finished, a lot of matches get postponed up there and Fort William, for instance, have 3 games still to play).

As it happens, the Scottish team for whom I have a soft spot play in the Lowland League, not the Highland - Gretna 2008, born from the ashes of the previous Gretna FC, whose rise and fall in the mid 2000s was so spectacular.

Premiership survival hopes are looking a bit more promising for my team Leicester City after winning four successive top flight matches for the first time since 1966......

Bottom of the Premier League 22/03/15

post-9751-0-48616900-1429991006.jpg

Bottom of the Premier League 25/04/15

post-9751-0-41734100-1429991054.jpg

Chelsea up next  :O . Two more wins might be enough and we've still got Newcastle (h), Sunderland(a) and Q.P.R (h) to play.

Congratulations to Corby Town who took the Southern League Premier Division title in a winner takes all season finale at Poole Town today. The winner came with just seven minutes of a scintillating second half remaining and switched the destination of the shield from Dorset back to Northants after Corby had frittered away a two goal lead.

Thanks to the 1200+ Corby fans who made the trek and the very best of luck to Poole in the play offs.

congratulations to Ronnie Moore keeping Hartlepool in the football league after being ten points adrift at one point the irony of him sending his former employers Tranmere out of the league will not be lost on many .

sadly Tranmere are another tale of a poorly run club with an  interfering trigger happy  board when will they ever learn 

• RMweb Gold

I can't be the only pperson to have picked up on a radical change in football over the last couple of years.

Until recently the stats about possession showed the vast majority of matches having fairly even possession (in the range of 45/55).

This season there have been a lot of games where the balance has been 60/40 and quite a few where it has been 70/30.

But the real big difference is the result. Time was when a team having 60% possession would be hammering the opposition by at least a four-goal margin. Not now. Teams with only 30% possession are winning matches. Today, Everton had 33% possession and won 3-0 (Toffees' third successive success against Man U at Goodison :declare: !)

congratulations to Ronnie Moore keeping Hartlepool in the football league after being ten points adrift at one point the irony of him sending his former employers Tranmere out of the league will not be lost on many .

sadly Tranmere are another tale of a poorly run club with an  interfering trigger happy  board when will they ever learn

"I saw Ronnie Moore score !" a one time Cardiff City fanzine, and where he is still spoken of fondly.

• RMweb Gold

"I saw Ronnie Moore score !" a one time Cardiff City fanzine, and where he is still spoken of fondly.

I saw him head butt a goalkeeper (Bury?) at Prenton Park about 100 years ago.............what a sad day yesterday for us Birkenhead boys.

I can't be the only pperson to have picked up on a radical change in football over the last couple of years.

Until recently the stats about possession showed the vast majority of matches having fairly even possession (in the range of 45/55).

This season there have been a lot of games where the balance has been 60/40 and quite a few where it has been 70/30.

But the real big difference is the result. Time was when a team having 60% possession would be hammering the opposition by at least a four-goal margin. Not now. Teams with only 30% possession are winning matches. Today, Everton had 33% possession and won 3-0 (Toffees' third successive success against Man U at Goodison :declare: !)

And a grand day out it was, too.  I took my Man Ewe supporting grandson to Goodison and as he got in the car, his dad said that he should only cheer their final goal.  Thank goodness he's a patient little chap but I'm sure he'll get over it eventually.  Man Ewe's man of the match?  Their supporters who became pretty silent at 3-0 down but rallied to sing and cheer their team as if it was winning towards the end.  Everton - we only sing when we're winning . . .

Stan

• RMweb Gold

And a grand day out it was, too.  I took my Man Ewe supporting grandson to Goodison and as he got in the car, his dad said that he should only cheer their final goal.  Thank goodness he's a patient little chap

but I'm sure he'll get over it eventually.  Man Ewe's man of the match?  Their supporters who became pretty silent at 3-0 down but rallied to sing and cheer their team as if it was winning towards the end.  Everton - we only sing when we're winning . . .

Stan

It is very many years since I was last at Goodison (or any other football ground for that matter). But I have noticed when watching on TV that Goodison has become a very quiet ground these days where singing is concerned. Hopefully the scouse banter is still just as good as in the old days.

• RMweb Premium

Obviously someone saw Man Utd pushing the ball, aimlessly at Stamford Bridge last week and realised that possession on its own, means nothing!

May LVG have a long spell at United!

Love this headline at Eurosport

Overreaction Theatre: Welcome back, Louis van Moyes It is 'Dave ja vu' for Manchester United as they mark anniversary of David Moyes' sacking with another Goodison Park collapse.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Obviously someone saw Man Utd pushing the ball, aimlessly at Stamford Bridge last week and realised that possession on its own, means nothing!

May LVG have a long spell at United!

Love this headline at Eurosport

Overreaction Theatre: Welcome back, Louis van Moyes It is 'Dave ja vu' for Manchester United as they mark anniversary of David Moyes' sacking with another Goodison Park collapse.

I liked that as well. Accompanied by some very clever computer-generated graphics as LvG as David Moyes in disguise.

......Teams with only 30% possession are winning matches. 

I thing Jose Mourinho got there before you Joseph.

That was just Mourinho's spin on the result, but that wasn't the whole truth of the matter.

Chelsea certainly had their defensive game plan which won them the match, but it took them nearly 30 minutes to get organised as they were being run ragged in that time.

Even their solid defence was being split open time after time and only a lack of finishing and some last ditch blocks prevented them going behind early on.

Stamford Bridge was in silence.

After that Chelsea finally managed to organise themselves and then got their single goal, on a break away.

Mind you, in the build up to that Terry got away with fouling Falcao (100% agreement on that from the whole Sky TV panel) to win the possession that immediately led to to the goal.

From then on Chelsea's "total defence football" just locked United out, despite United hitting the woodwork and several vital last minute blocks. 

But United's possession wasn't "aimless" at all. A combination of Chelseas superior defensive play, United's current lack of firepower and a moment of Hazard's brilliance decided the result. 

A deserved win for Chelsea on their tactics and defensive game, but they only won it by the skin of their teeth.

John Terry's  interview in the tunnel at the end, showed how much relief they was in scraping the result.

As to yesterday at Goodison, a totally different story.

It ended up as a fairly comfortable win for Everton.

United were largely aimless and unlike at Stamford Bridge last week, seemed to be totally lacking in passion and urgency.

Lots of possession and very little goal threat.

Everton's game plan worked and they even got a joke goal as a bonus.

Well done the Toffee's.

Arsenal v Chelsea later on.

A repeat performance from Chelsea.

"Park the bus" is indeed winning matches.