The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Well after Hull raced into a 2-0 lead I had high hopes for the cup final today. Despite the drama of Arsenal fighting back to win I felt the game lacked something - either that or ITV's dreadful coverage detracted from the spectacle. I do hope that this time next Saturday I will be feeling like an Arsenal fan and not a Hull City one.

• RMweb Gold

The first 10 minutes certainly made for a more interesting final.

Am I the only one who finds Adrian Chiles voice and intonation irritating beyond belief?

The first 10 minutes certainly made for a more interesting final.

Am I the only one who finds Adrian Chiles voice and intonation irritating beyond belief?

No I cannot stand the bloke either.

I watched BT Sport's coverage in our front room, and thought it was much better than ITV's coverage, which was on in the Kitchen with my father preparing vegetables for tomorrow.

Truly, this was a good match for the neutrals and nail biting for the fans. A good match - some strange refereeing decisions - some incredible near misses and some fun bits of football from an Arsenal side that had flashes of brilliance and hopelessness, and a Hull City side well organised and tactically sound but just lacking the superior fitness of the Arsenal boys.

All in all, a good way to end the season. Roll on the next!

Oh, and the world cup I suppose...

Interesting fact. Last time a team came from 2-0 down to win an FA Cup Final, it was 1966 and England won the world cup that year, two months later...

?...Oh, and the world cup I suppose......

They're still not ready over there.

Apparently the German squad weren't too impressed by the standard and location of the hotel accommodation offered in Brazil, so - and this shows you how forward-thinking the Germans famously are - they designed their own purpose-built resort (which will be turned over to paying guests after the whole shenanigans are over). However, even they couldn't quite get round the Brazilian approach to deadlines, so the resort still isn't ready!

• Like 1

Interesting fact. Last time a team came from 2-0 down to win an FA Cup Final, it was 1966 and England won the world cup that year, two months later...

And I was there to see Derek (Shirley) Temple score the winner as Everton beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-2.  I went to that game without a ticket.  My father and two of his friends got tickets and came down from Liverpool for the match so I went to Wembley with them to experience the atmosphere.  As I strolled down Wembley Way, I saw a little old man looking disconsolate and asked him why he was so sad.  He said he had a ticket for the match but didn't want to go.  I asked him how much he wanted for his ticket and he said £5 (for a 10 shilling ticket).  I paid the £5 and went to the game.

After the match we all went back to Essex where I lived at the time and we enjoyed a meal at the Lion and the Lamb in the company of the Somerset cricket team who were playing Essex.  I just about remember that we ended up drinking rounds of Monk's Specials (coffee with Benedictine and cream).  How they played cricket the following day, I have no idea because we were all pretty wrecked.

Later that summer, I had tickets for all England's games at Wembley in the World Cup but I didn't bother with one for the final as I reckoned there was no way England would get that far and anyway I was on a ferry to Ireland on the night of the final for my holidays.  My dad had tickets for the games at Goodison and that led to me getting married in 1967.  How did that happen?  Well that's another story . . .

It's a funny old game, isn't it?

Stan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dad was an Arsenal steward for many years. As they supplied a squad of Stewards for major games at Wembley  he went to every Cup Final for about 30 years, a lot of internationals and the '66 World Cup Final. He would have enjoyed today's game.

Pete

Not at all, his brand of slightly bemused blokeishness is starting to grate on me, too. I used to find it quite endearing, but it's wearing a bit thin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd just like to apologise to each and every member of RMweb if I didn't send them any birthday cake.

Yes.My agent has recommended me to leave RMweb as I'm not appreciated enough.

• RMweb Gold

If the current premier league system is failing our young players and inhibiting their development to the detriment of the England team, how come the England youth teams are all doing so well? The U17 s even won a tournament in a penalty shoot out!

What's all this talk about the season being over.I might be for that South London lot in Red Shirts, but the match of the year takes place on Saturday.   No :nono:     No :nono:  not involving a team from Madrid, but at Wembley at 3.00 pm. The Hoops versus the Rams and may the best team win.   :no:      Well as long as it's QPR anyway. :jester:

I've just renewed my season ticket at Leicester. It's only gone up by £15 for the Prem which seems a bargain. Just hope today's coup in Thailand doesn't affect the club's Thai owners, as otherwise things seem quite stable at the club and we might be able to last for a few seasons in the Premiership this time.

What's all this talk about the season being over.I might be for that South London lot in Red Shirts, but the match of the year takes place on Saturday.   No :nono:     No :nono:  not involving a team from Madrid, but at Wembley at 3.00 pm. The Hoops versus the Rams and may the best team win.   :no:      Well as long as it's QPR anyway. :jester:

I am not going to be harsh and press the disagree button - but hopefully it will be the hoops who will be heading home disappointed on Saturday and the Mighty Rams will have given Stevie Mac some Wembley redemption. I hope you enjoy the day (until 4.45 at least) :jester:

• Like 1

In a (rare?) display of East Midlands solidarity I hope Derby County win the Championship Play-off Final. Certainly as far as club wagebills are concerned it's a bit like David (Derby £12m) and Goliath (Q.P.R. £78m), although that will count for nothing at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

• Like 1

In a (rare?) display of East Midlands solidarity I hope Derby County win the Championship Play-off Final. Certainly as far as club wagebills are concerned it's a bit like David (Derby £12m) and Goliath (Q.P.R. £78m), although that will count for nothing at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

Although the bookies have made Derby favourites which is the kiss of death!

• RMweb Gold

If the current premier league system is failing our young players and inhibiting their development to the detriment of the England team, how come the England youth teams are all doing so well? The U17 s even won a tournament in a penalty shoot out!

Note the names and see how many are playing in the EPL in 5 years time. On past record, it ill probably only be about two of them.

• RMweb Gold

Note the names and see how many are playing in the EPL in 5 years time. On past record, it ill probably only be about two of them.

I don't really mind Joe, my point is we have good young talent at the international level, winning tournaments. Ergo there can't be too much wrong with our youth system. The PL is still the best league in the world, so why all the fuss is what I'm saying. Greg Dyke being Greg Dyke, IMO.

First trip to Wembley on Sunday to see Rotherham v Orient.  Never been, so looking forward to it.  First shock was the ticket price of £82!  Thankfully as an over 60 they give you a 50% discount, to make it a little more palatable...

Daughter's best mate of years is married to Alex Revell, so it will be strange to be cheering for a Northern Club for this Spurs supporter...

So Norwich have confirmed caretaker manager Neil Adams (who he?) as manager on a three year deal. Good luck to him but one point from the last five games of the season put the Canaries down (although the final four games were against Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal - even got a draw against Chelsea and should have got a point against Liverpool but when you are struggling your luck deserts you). It was failures against West Brom, Fulham, Cardiff, Aston Villa, and Swansea that sent Norwich down. Anyway good luck to NA. What amuses me are the Norwich fans who were keen as mustard (geddit) towards NA when he was appointed caretaker but who are now so voluble in critiscism against him.  Of course Malky Mackay is available and the fans have always had a love affair with him as an ex-Canary player. One wonders if the board chose someone who in fact turned them down. Neil Lennon's resignation from Celtic turned out to be a false trail as well. NA has street-cred though. He has brought along some very good young players and won the FA Youth Cup for Norwich in 2013. Some feel he would make an ideal No. 2 but he is taking over a club with no debts and money in the bank.