The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Why do the lower Divisions (everything below the Championship) lumber themselves with such massive costs? Would make far more sense to split into four regional divisions with end-of -season play-offs to determine who goes up to Championship. Regional Divisions should also improve attendances/revenue as less distance to travel for away supporters.

because it wouldnt work fans would soon get bored of seeing the same teams over and over and would vote with their feet 17 years of league one football has seen that happen at my club (Oldham ) with gates halved in the last ten years 

• RMweb Premium

I often wonder if our best hope is a European Super League.

Let all the big clubs disappear to some hermetically-sealed, no-promotion-no-relegation, never-never-land (just like the NFL) and let the rest of us get back to some proper football. All the top players would go to those clubs, leaving the ones that are just very good for everyone else.

They can come back and play in domestic cups if they want, but I wouldn't miss it if they didn't. It'd take all the pressure off just battling for four CL spots (because they would in effect be the CL). We can go back to a proper European Cup just for League champions, and have a proper Cup-Winners Cup and UEFA Cup again.

Would West Ham fans really, honestly, care if we never played Manchester United or Liverpool in a league ever again? Arsenal and Chelsea maybe, but new rivalries would take their place (and we'd still have Spurs!).

Get rid of six top clubs (e.g. Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton, so they all have a local derby still), have four divisons of 21 (which means one team gets a bye every week) and let's have football like it used to be.

Whose to say that these clubs will continue to dominate? What if rich owners of the current crop lose their money, die or simply lose interest? Many of those 6 have been 2nd tier teams within the last 40 years.

Just watched the mighty Foxes beat Burnley 2-0  claphappy.gifclaphappy.gifclaphappy.gif

Only 9 points needed from the remaining 7 games to get promotion back to the Promised Land of the Premiership.  cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Me and my son are 2 happy Leicester City fans today. Just need Blackpool to beat QPR this afternoon and my day will be complete  laugh2.giflaugh2.giflaugh2.gif

Regards

Neal.

Just watched the mighty Foxes beat Burnley 2-0  claphappy.gifclaphappy.gifclaphappy.gif

Only 9 points needed from the remaining 7 games to get promotion back to the Promised Land of the Premiership.  cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Me and my son are 2 happy Leicester City fans today. Just need Blackpool to beat QPR this afternoon and my day will be complete  laugh2.giflaugh2.giflaugh2.gif

Regards

Neal.

I think it's only 7 points from 8 games now, as Harry's motley crew of failed big-time charlies were misfiring again this afternoon.

Been to Turf Moor today and I'm very pleased that Leicester won, whilst not playing particularly well.

It was a pity that Burnley had already lost one of their prolific strikers(Ings) and their player with most assists(Trippier) to injury before the game, and then lost Vokes (their other prolific striker) very early on in the game to injury, as it left them a bit toothless in attack.

The thing that struck me was that when we lost of one of our strikers (Vardy) to injury, we were able to replace him with another 20 goal a season striker(Wood), who quickly set up our first goal and then scored a spectacular second.

Burnley didn't have the squad depth to be able to do that, but I hope they keep going and secure a richly deserved promotion, as Sean Dyche has worked miracles with a small squad and budget this season.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

For the last 30 years or so Spurs have generally failed to make their mark. Umpteen different managers and different squads, but still the same mid-table mediocrity. Okay, Martin Jol and our Harry - even AVB - kept them higher for a while, with even some Champions League action, but there seems to be a culture at Tottenham which makes them lack the qualities needed for consistently high performance. If changing managers and squads doesn't work, then surely the problem lies elsewhere? The boardroom, for example. And I speak as someone who was at Tottenham Town Hall in 1967 with my father and grandfather when Spurs brought the FA cup home.

Still, these days my local PL team is Southampton and at least they make an effort!

• RMweb Gold

because it wouldnt work fans would soon get bored of seeing the same teams over and over and would vote with their feet 17 years of league one football has seen that happen at my club (Oldham ) with gates halved in the last ten years 

Regionalising would not alter the fact that there would be one home game and one away game against each of the other clubs in the division.

There are other demographic factors involved in declining attendances and very difficult for a club like Oldham, geographically close to Prem League clubs.

• RMweb Gold

The joys of a league! Everton have Arsenal, Man City, and Man Utd at home before the end of the season. So ironically, Everton have perhaps the best chance of all to stop Man City winning the title and handing it to.......Liverpool. We will know more after the Arsenal game next weekend but if Everton do win that there is a real chance of 4th place and a shot at C1. Is that worth letting Liverpool get another title (their first since the Premiiership was created) ????

• RMweb Gold

Hands up who's going to buy the new £90 England world cup shirt with it's cooling technology.Rip off Britain as usual.

Thought not.

Might be handy to have cooling technology when drinking a lager in a Sports Bar while watching England games.

Hands up who's going to buy the new £90 England world cup shirt with it's cooling technology.Rip off Britain as usual.

Thought not.

that is a crazy price. I think £45 for a football shirt is to much but wow this is a whole new level  

• RMweb Premium

that is a crazy price. I think £45 for a football shirt is to much but wow this is a whole new level  

Well it will be a collectors item, as the "didn't pass the group stage" version  :jester:

Rob

Regionalising would not alter the fact that there would be one home game and one away game against each of the other clubs in the division.

There are other demographic factors involved in declining attendances and very difficult for a club like Oldham, geographically close to Prem League clubs.

Perhaps next season Oldham Athletic and their fans could commemorate the "centenary" of their best ever season 1914-15 by finishing 2nd in the "First Division"* again and getting promotion to the Championship. Not quite as good as missing out on the "big one" by a single point but a good start:

post-9751-0-89794700-1396362943.jpg

The bottom three make interesting reading, but I don't suppose Richard Scudamore, Premier League C.E.,would want history to repeat itself in 2014-15, because of the damage to the global appeal of the Premiership "brand" if Manchester United and Chelsea got relegated :jester:

Footnote : Manchester United won't anything important until the 1948 F.A.Cup

* other names available.

Edit: Brain f*rt - Just realised I'd written Peter Scudamore not Richard Scudamore - both jockeys of sorts but I'm sure one of them has a much easier ride.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Oh well, West Ham are almost safe now - a couple more points and maybe Sam will be able to take some chances - you know, he could play 2 strikers on the field or change the squad around and give the younger players a bit of Premiership action, even get the existing players to try attacking a bit more........... but then again I have a feeling it will be more of the same until the end of a depressing season.  

I don't look back on the "old days" with completely rose-tinted specs, but I really miss the fluid passing and attacking of former times, despite the odd heavy home defeat when it all went wrong  and our defensive frailties were cruelly exposed by the likes of Toshack & Keegan!

Oh well, West Ham are almost safe now - a couple more points and maybe Sam will be able to take some chances - you know, he could play 2 strikers on the field or change the squad around and give the younger players a bit of Premiership action, even get the existing players to try attacking a bit more........... but then again I have a feeling it will be more of the same until the end of a depressing season.  

I don't look back on the "old days" with completely rose-tinted specs, but I really miss the fluid passing and attacking of former times, despite the odd heavy home defeat when it all went wrong  and our defensive frailties were cruelly exposed by the likes of Toshack & Keegan!

and dont forget andy ritchie ian marshall and ricky holden st valentines day 1990 !

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps next season Oldham Athletic and their fans could commemorate the "centenary" of their best ever season 1914-15 by finishing 2nd in the "First Division"* again and getting promotion to the Championship. Not quite as good as missing out on the "big one" by a single point but a good start:

attachicon.gif1914-15 league table.jpg

The bottom three make interesting reading, but I don't suppose Peter Scudamore would want history to repeat itself in 2014-15, because of the damage to the global appeal of the Premiership "brand" if Manchester United and Chelsea got relegated :jester:

Footnote : Manchester United won't anything important until the 1948 F.A.Cup

* other names available.

I like that table a lot!

i look at that table and note Bradford park avenues fall

Yes indeed - a unique one apparently:

"Bradford Park Avenue is one of 35 clubs to compete in all four top tiers of English football, and the only one to compete below the current fifth level."

Wiki