The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I assumed Oggy was talking generally, and not just about this forum. I haven't noticed many avowed Arsenal fans on here, although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

I know steve - I was being facetious! :)

Yes, of course Wenger has his own special brand of myopia when it comes to big decisions affecting his team, but we were talking about SAF because it just happens that he was one of the loudest moaners this weekend. Next week, when Carlo Ancelotti throws a giant strop and refuses to talk to the TV, you'll all be sure to mention it to me, I have no doubt!

One of the loudest moaners this weekend? :blink: One of the loudest moaners of all time...!

Unfortunately Fergie's record says otherwise - and so do a considerable amount of other folk around Europe, strangely enough.

see this lot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson

and wish that Charlton had half that track record (and the cash to go with it......) :)

Not bad for boy from Govan :P

Ha! It's not all about track record chap :D Give it another 5, maybe 6 years and we'll be back, raring to have a go at United again...

It's certainly not about the cash either! I remember a Charlton Athletic VS Manchester United clash in the late nineties. Charlton 1 - 3 Manchester United with five minutes to go. Fergie, anxious to spare a few players for an upcoming manc derby, took off scholes, giggs and beckham with five minutes to go.

Five minutes later, John Robinson runs down the wing like a headless chicken and scores a cracking equaliser!!! :lol:

Point being, we've never got more than a point against Manchester United since probably forever, but the taking of that point meant the world to us.

Of course, our track record since that match shows something like, 2-1, 4-0, 4-0, 2-0, 4-0, etc etc all in Manc's favour...but as Leeds showed, that one time it all goes right, that is the magic of football :)

Oh and bob...:

Fergie's Mind Games

And he's still a whinger! :lol:

• RMweb Premium

It's certainly not about the cash either!

You might not technically be "English" however that's a bit of a Scottish attitude there.... :D

And he's still a whinger! :lol:

Hey when you get paid that amount of money you can afford to whinge and moan.....

Anyway the best thing we ever gave to Manchester was Denis Law..........!

John Robinson, there's a name from the past...

Lived 5 minutes down the road from me in Magham Down for most of his career. I saw him towards the end at Lewes, and he was, to be frank, poor at that stage (even in a very good team).

Aye, he was never the best football player in the charlton team either - by my god, he always gave 150% every match. He'd show a few of the current Charlton team what it means to REALLY run all over the pitch...!

I refereed a game at Lewes over a year ago - playing Weymouth I seem to recall, I was the youngest ref in the blue square that year (20), and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the fans were on both sides to myself and the officials. There were a few moans here and there, but nothing like some the abuse I've had doing some university matches, I can tell you...!!!

You might not technically be "English" however that's a bit of a Scottish attitude there.... :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Very true!

Hey when you get paid that amount of money you can afford to whinge and moan.....

Anyway the best thing we ever gave to Manchester was Denis Law..........!

Again, very true...!

Damn.

STATEMENT FROM SCFL

In the light of the extreme conditions throughout the county, using the 'law' of common sense, (and following strong recommendations from Mrs Bentley) unless I hear from you immediately to the contrary, I will assume that all matches under the control of the SCFL will be postponed this Saturday (9th January), and for the following midweek (12th & 13th). In the event that any Club considers that they have a possibility of playing on 12/13, will they please notify their scheduled opponents and myself immediately.

I have discussed the matter with the SCFA office, who are happy to be associated with this decision.

A dull weekend ahead. I'll probably go to the pub then.

Damn.

A dull weekend ahead. I'll probably go to the pub then.

You could always watch the mighty Blues take on Man U on saturday, I have been assured by the club that the match is going ahead. It also looks like we've signed Michel from Sporting Gijon, and Ryan Babel is just a matter of time apparently.

I was just about to say UEFA cup here we come, and then realised is now the Europa League. icon_redface.gif

6 minutes of added time at Birmingham city :blink:

I could count something like 3 minutes, and then a little more seconds for three substitutes...but no injuries of any sort, little in the way of fouls (aside from the one sending off), but 6 minutes?

In the interests of fair play...! 6 Minutes? The 4th official is having a laugh.

6 minutes of added time at Birmingham city blink.gif

I could count something like 3 minutes, and then a little more seconds for three substitutes...but no injuries of any sort, little in the way of fouls (aside from the one sending off), but 6 minutes?

In the interests of fair play...! 6 Minutes? The 4th official is having a laugh.

You never Know, Maybe Birmingham could have scored in the 96th minute. Now that would be funny..

A fine weekend of Premiership football for Chelsea, then (not to mention Everton and Birmingham - 12 games unbeaten is some going!). If Man U and Arsenal promise to carry on drawing, I'd be quite happy if all of Chelsea's games were postponed until Drogba gets back. Mind you, the way things are going in Angola, that may not be long. Terrible business over there - I see that the latest is that Togo will fly home as soon as possible, and you can hardly blame them. How on Earth would any of us feel after being shot at? It's something that can barely be imagined.

Well, the civil war there ended many, many years ago, but the separatists in Kabinda have apparently been rumbling in the background. If anyone hasn't already done so, take a look at the map of where this occurred. The province in question is geographically separate from the rest of Angola. So, yes, given the history, I'd agree that playing an international tournament in any sport in Kabinda is daft (with hindsight, at least), but the rest of Angola is relatively safe. I think that we British would have been a bit miffed if, during the Troubles in Ulster, other countries had talked about boycotting all sport in England, Wales or Scotland.

• Like 1

You could always watch the mighty Blues take on Man U on saturday, I have been assured by the club that the match is going ahead. It also looks like we've signed Michel from Sporting Gijon, and Ryan Babel is just a matter of time apparently.

I was just about to say UEFA cup here we come, and then realised is now the Europa League. icon_redface.gif

Huh, looks like I'll be sending you a tenner at the end of the season, look what a combination of a good 'canny' manager, backed by rich foreign owners with plenty of money to spend can do. Jealous, me ? - of course I am sad.gif .

Well, the civil war there ended many, many years ago, but the separatists in Kabinda have apparently been rumbling in the background. If anyone hasn't already done so, take a look at the map of where this occurred. The province in question is geographically separate from the rest of Angola. So, yes, given the history, I'd agree that playing an international tournament in any sport in Kabinda is daft (with hindsight, at least), but the rest of Angola is relatively safe. I think that we British would have been a bit miffed if, during the Troubles in Ulster, other countries had talked about boycotting all sport in England, Wales or Scotland.

True enough .... but i think i will give it a miss

Huh, looks like I'll be sending you a tenner at the end of the season, look what a combination of a good 'canny' manager, backed by rich foreign owners with plenty of money to spend can do. Jealous, me ? - of course I am sad.gif .

Looking forward to it. icon_thumbsup2.gif

It was nice to see we didn't fall foul of the Manager of the Month Award curse. Can see the unbeaten run coming to an end at Chelsea. But it's been fun while it lasted. Oh well Portsmouth away next, lets see how we do down there.

On the topic of "Extra Time"; how much is going to be given to Rafa Benitez ?

It was a strange interview that he gave to ITV last night - it seemed (perhaps understandably) that he didn't want to be there at all. Even the most straightforward questions were fended off unanswered. I'm sure he's rather more inspirational before a match. I hope he is, anyway.

I think its a matter time before a crisis meeting is held at Anfield. Rafa has to go, no FA Cup, no Champions League, no Premiership Title, potentially a trophy less season, the fans won't stand for it. Then there is the offensive email saga. Liverpool are a club in turmoil. Also, I can't believe they were questioning the penalty decision after the one awarded against us. Oh well swings in roundabout football.

• RMweb Premium

I would be very suprised if Rafa remained at Liverpool beyond this summer. Serious money looks to be on a potential return to Spain, jumping on that managerial merry-go-round called Real Madrid. I cannot see him going before the end of the season, the damage has been done, but a top-four finish is not out of the question, if now highly unlikely.

After a very dull start, the FA cup seems to have gained some of its romance again...a number of shock results makes it all the more interesting; Leeds - Manu, Liverpool - Reading, Portsmouth - Coventry (that last one was a real suprise). blink.gif tongue.gif Our 'reward' is a home game to Sunderland...

On another note, I must admit to being suprised at Brian Laws going to Burnley; not necessarily the top of everyone's thoughts when Coyle jumped ship. I don't think it is a bad thing, indeed it can only be good that the first place clubs look is within the British set-up, and I wish them luck (well sort of, see next paragraph).

I will also be interested to see how Bolton get on, although I don't really wish them any luck as they (and Burnley) are certainly within catching distance for Pompey.tongue.gif

I can't help but noticed how civilised and well reasoned this thread is compared to, for example, threads on the BBC's forums.

I do post on the BBC's forums, once in a while, if there is something worth discussing. But generally its all abuse and arguments. I think on this forum it is because it is not the main subject. Plus the mods, and admin wouldn't fancy what floats around on the BBC forums.

Even as a Birmingham fan, I would like to wish the Villa luck for the match tonight, let's get a Midlands football team to a cup final.

I think its a matter time before a crisis meeting is held at Anfield. Rafa has to go, no FA Cup, no Champions League, no Premiership Title, potentially a trophy less season, the fans won't stand for it. Then there is the offensive email saga. Liverpool are a club in turmoil. Also, I can't believe they were questioning the penalty decision after the one awarded against us. Oh well swings in roundabout football.

I can't help but feel that trophies are a complete red herring. Arsenal haven't won a trophy since 2005 yet Arsene is still in charge. Can we therefore put this down to a "vote of no confidence" and agree that trophies don't equal success or confidence entirely?

I do agree that I suspect Rafa may be on his way out, but the question is whether or not Liverpool can afford to terminate his contract, surely?

What I want to know is, how does it work that being sacked from a job you are unperforming on you end up with ??20m? If I'm underperforming in my job, and get sacked I don't get anything bar the salary owed to the point of dismissal.

The thing is with the Liverpool thing is that I think, is they thought they were due the premier title more than anything. But the big thing is who is going to replace him if the do sack him?

• RMweb Premium

As I hinted earlier, Liverpool may not even need to sack him. The rate Real go through managers they may try to pinch him anyway...

In terms of lack of trophies, it has been suggested that Wenger is safe at Arsenal because he is creating a team of genuine promise for the next few years; it will only be a matter of time before they do win something. Liverpool, on the other hand, seem to be on a downward spiral with an average team once you loose Gerrard and Torres. Then again, Rafa has the ability to pull off some pretty audacious moves, so don't be too suprised if they finish in the top four this season, especially as everyone else seems to be dropping points on a regular basis.

In other news, the curse of Pompey has finally caught up with 'Arry... http://news.bbc.co.u...and/8459969.stm

...and David James looks to be trying to guarantee his England future....with Stoke.