The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

In lieu of a Hailsham match, tonight I'm off to watch Seaford Town take on Peacehaven & Telscombe in the First Round of the Brighton Charity Cup.

Not expecting a classic, but something to do, nonetheless!

Would also like to flag the quite ridiculous Ground Grading for next season. Step 5 Clubs (Sussex County One and 13 other leagues across the country - 5 divisions away from the Football League) - have been told that they must have at least 100 seats under cover. Our average attendance is about 90 (though hopefully the mass poster effort will bring them flooding in!). This stand is going to cost us about 22 grand, and will be barely used, as most who go to Non League games prefer to stand anyway. Seems a bit daft to me...

I hear the Brady bunch have taken over West Ham....Bobby Moore will be turning in his grave....

Made me laugh on the way home how they have said they'll be in the champions league in 7 seaons time. I would be worried if I was a Hammers fan. Yes they do run a profitable football club, but they don't have that kind of money.

• RMweb Premium

Presently in the FA cup, Accrington are one up against Gillingham. Fulham awaits the winners of that one and it woudl be good for Stanley to get some limeligh for the right reasons...

Mrs Dreyfus' parents are serious Stanley fans, usually taking me along to any homes games when we go up to visit them - where I have yet to see them defeated (Mrs Dreyfus' parents want me to turn up every home game now biggrin.gif ).

City 2-1 up going to Old Trafford...

Charlton win 2-1 at the Valley...

What did I prefer to watch? Um, neither actually...

The sight of 58 Hartlepool fans in the away end! :blink:

post-1656-12639483522896_thumb.jpg

Taken from the west stand, I just couldn't believe the lack of people...!

14,000 Charlton fans there by the way. Empty Valley! It was very very cold though, and it being a mid-week game it was always going to be a small attendance.

• RMweb Premium

More shenanigans on the sunny south coast...this time Sol Campbell as after us for non-payment of this, that and the other... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8469950.stm I'm sure there's a reason why that has been left so long; he did, after all, leave us in the summer...

Really, this is the worst soap opera to come out of Hampshire since Howards Way. blink.gif

More shenanigans on the sunny south coast...this time Sol Campbell as after us for non-payment of this, that and the other... http://news.bbc.co.u...uth/8469950.stm I'm sure there's a reason why that has been left so long; he did, after all, leave us in the summer...

Really, this is the worst soap opera to come out of Hampshire since Howards Way. blink.gif

What more did you expect from Mr Cambell ? Why do you think he is so hated at Tottenham ? And more fool arsenal for giving him more money..

• RMweb Gold

Villa Blackburn was good for a listen, but was a little annoyed that it wasnt possible to get the Arsenal game on the radio. seems a bit silly to me that the BBC have people at the ground, have an internet radio system, yet only broadcast 2 games....

Still, top of the league!!!

On goals scored... couldn't be much closer!

It has to be said, the Premier league has been much more fun to watch this year as everything is more open than before - there was a point where Arsenal were 12 points down on the leaders...!

I think we should be grateful that all of the top 20 have given us such fun this season, and commiserations to Pompey and the hopes things get better their end.

• RMweb Premium

It has to be said, the Premier league has been much more fun to watch this year as everything is more open than before - there was a point where Arsenal were 12 points down on the leaders...!

I think we should be grateful that all of the top 20 have given us such fun this season, and commiserations to Pompey and the hopes things get better their end.

Yeh, I though you only watched Dr Who from behind the sofa... now it seems that Match of the Day falls into that category...blink.gif tongue.gif

Seriously though, it has been a very interesting season thus far - if a little traumatic. We are only half way through, and two wins away from safety. There is a lot of mediocrity down towards the bottom, so we still ahve a chance....that said, someone else is having a grumble sad.gif http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8472428.stm

• RMweb Premium

I hear the Brady bunch have taken over West Ham....Bobby Moore will be turning in his grave....

As a lifelong Hammers fan, it's the talk of quitting good old Upton Park that bothers me. Billy Bonds has already openly criticised the idea, it would be a sad day if the Hammers moved out and the property developers moved in.

Champions League in 7 years - you're 'avin' a larf, mate! We need to face up to our current limitations and concentrate on getting a strong(ish) squad, if only to avoid the annual relegation struggle!

....The sight of 58 Hartlepool fans in the away end! blink.gif

Taken from the west stand, I just couldn't believe the lack of people...!....

There's always something a bit depressing about underpopulated stands.

There is a recent precedent for this: when Wigan played Hull. the overall attendance was so low, Wigan actually closed their entire South stand.

What more did you expect from Mr Campbell ? Why do you think he is so hated at Tottenham ? And more fool arsenal for giving him more money..

Well, he's only topping up his pension contributions....

• RMweb Gold

As a lifelong Hammers fan, it's the talk of quitting good old Upton Park that bothers me. Billy Bonds has already openly criticised the idea, it would be a sad day if the Hammers moved out and the property developers moved in.

Always a sad time when a club moves away from its traditional home, made worse by the new grounds being designed by architects who just seem to be out there to design a big impressive looking building (but not giving a dam about maintaining the clubs traditions.)

I remember in the run up to the move away from Highbury there was a lot of talk about how the new stadium would preserve the atmosphere of the North Bank, something that never happened in practice. (I see that both Liverpool and Spurs have said the same thing about their respective new grounds, again I cant see it happening...)

Would be even worse for West Ham moving into the Olympic Stadium, given that being designed for running etc the fans will be too far from the pitch. Still I guess it was pretty inevitable that one of the London teams would move there after 2012....

As a lifelong Hammers fan, it's the talk of quitting good old Upton Park that bothers me. Billy Bonds has already openly criticised the idea...

Unfortunately, Billy Bonds, for all his obvious love for West Ham, is not the man who has to get them out of the current financial situation.

Despite the fact that I consider Davin Sullivan to be a grubby little purveyor of filth, he's obviously fulfilled a childhood dream by becoming owner of the club. As he said, no-one with any financial sense would have considered getting involved in the financial black hole at the club. I'm sure that any decisions that he and David Gold make, however much they might upset some fans, will be in the interests of securing West Ham's future.

I have just read that FIFA are thinking about having teams qualified for the Champions League only if they are financially viable. I think they mean only open to teams that are solvent through gate receipts, football kit sales etc. and not handouts from wealthy owners. In that case I'm not sure who would represent England. Anyone know a truly solvent team? Appart from the likes of Evostick United of course.

Geoff.

I have just read that FIFA are thinking about having teams qualified for the Champions League only if they are financially viable. I think they mean only open to teams that are solvent through gate receipts, football kit sales etc. and not handouts from wealthy owners. In that case I'm not sure who would represent England. Anyone know a truly solvent team? Appart from the likes of Evostick United of course.

Geoff.

I can name 4:

Fulham (apparently profitable)

Birmingham City (We made money last financial year)

Aston Villa (Again made money last financial year)

West Bromwich Albion (Well known for trading in the black)

• RMweb Gold

Geoff.

of the 'Big Four' only Arsenal would qualify (I understand in the last report on premiership club profitability, Arsenal were on top.) although Chelsea have recently been reducing their debt with Abramavich changing his personal loans to the club into equity)

No idea about their financing, but at a guess Villa and Spurs maybe as well?

Certainly those rules would hit Utd, Liverpool & City.

The interesting question in my mind is how it will affect the Spanish clubs (especially madrid), and their 'unique' funding system behind those stupidly large transfers....

Geoff.

EUFA run the champions league and for all Mr Platini's talk about clubs with debt etc, it just won't happen, it's not just England, Real Madrid, Valencia, in Spain are hardly role models on how to run a fianancily stable club, Juventus, Agnelli plaything, Inter, Massimo Morrati's toy, Milan......Berlusconi etc. So what'll happen when Eufa say 'well you lot can't enter the champions league' 'Ok we'll have our own competion called the Champions of Europe sponsored by Pepsi Cola Cup, that just hapens to be very much like your competition but with 90% of the big names in european football and we get to keep all the money, bye bye Mr Platini'

Don't get me wrong, it's not right but there's too much money involved now and I think we've got a pandoras box situation.

On a different note, expect to see lots of yellow and green at MUFC matches from now, bit of a campaign against the Glazer ownership, trying to unite the fans who have unfortunately become a somewhat fractured lot, it may work it may not, but anythings better than nothing, they've not had a penny off me since 2005 and never will. Not sure about changing my name to Green 'n Yellow Devil though!

of the 'Big Four' only Arsenal would qualify (I understand in the last report on premiership club profitability, Arsenal were on top.) although Chelsea have recently been reducing their debt with Abramavich changing his personal loans to the club into equity)

No idea about their financing, but at a guess Villa and Spurs maybe as well?

Certainly those rules would hit Utd, Liverpool & City.

The interesting question in my mind is how it will affect the Spanish clubs (especially madrid), and their 'unique' funding system behind those stupidly large transfers....

Arsenal ? What about the cost of building Ashburton Grove, read somewhere that that was in the region of ??300 million, surely that'd prohibt them. That's the whole thing, pretty much all the clubs in the premier league run on some form of debt nowadays.