The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Goals, no goals, dives and any misconduct, technology would sort all that out in one go. They use it in Rugby and that doesn't detract from the game at all. Virtually all of the problems in todays game stem from referee decisions and to make that call over something that is fractions of a second or totally unseen is impossible. That leads to unrest amongst the fans and the problems escalate from there.

I've no way of knowing what would have happened had that goal not been given, but losing the game would have been acceptable if we were beaten by the better team on the day and knew all the decisions were the right ones. I wouldn't care if there was 10 minutes extra time, if it meant the game was played fairly.

..and who knows, Young may have been off for cheating and Man Utd may have got the penalty they deserved against Wigan, but at least they would have been the right outcome, that no one could argue against.

Saying it evens out over a season is an excuse, not an answer.

I agree pretty much with everything you say, but, are they ever going to sort it, well to be honest I don't think they will, is this going to go pan european, worldwide?

Fact is it's viwed differently in other countries so is the the Premier League going to be an oasis of good sportsmanship, I think we all know the answer to that.

FIFA won't even sanction goal line technology so what's the liklehood of aything happening, little I'd say, lets be straight about it the FA are also complicit in this, appealing Rooney's red card, I think it boils down to the simple fact that in the main most people aren't that bothered if their team wins, how many here would be morally outraged if England won the World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line...............................nuff said.

Having said that if someone does attempt to clean football up they would have my support, I just can't see it happening, and that brings us back to they're all at it.....

• Like 2

Been a bad day for me and referee decisions. Apart from the Chelsea non-goal ( who knows how the game would have gone ). At my boys football this morning, their opponents score from a free kick that no one knows why it was given then score a goal where the player was YARDS off side, Yet my boys team have a goal ruled out for offside when our player runs through and scores a good header. Game should have finished 3-3 instead of a 5-2 defeat. Still no chance of technolgy being introduced for Sunday Junior League football. I'm fed up.

FIFA won't even sanction goal line technology so what's the liklehood of aything happening, little I'd say, lets be straight about it the FA are also complicit in this, appealing Rooney's red card, I think it boils down to the simple fact that in the main most people aren't that bothered if their team wins, how many here would be morally outraged if England won the World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line...............................nuff said.

I agree with your point RE the FA but I - personally - and call me naive, moralistic, whatever - would be ashamed of my country's football team. But then more fool me for having high standards, or so it seems.

Having said that if someone does attempt to clean football up they would have my support, I just can't see it happening, and that brings us back to they're all at it.....

Are they now?

I don't think I've seen anywhere near the level of diving and gamesmanship in League 1 that I've seen in the top division this year, if any on the scale of the Premier League. That's among one of the reasons I'll be sorry to say goodbye to League 1 football (at the very least!) The clubs are more real there. It's about the fans and the football more and more in the lower leagues, more about greed at the top.

I agree with your point RE the FA but I - personally - and call me naive, moralistic, whatever - would be ashamed of my country's football team. But then more fool me for having high standards, or so it seems.

Are they now?

I don't think I've seen anywhere near the level of diving and gamesmanship in League 1 that I've seen in the top division this year, if any on the scale of the Premier League. That's among one of the reasons I'll be sorry to say goodbye to League 1 football (at the very least!) The clubs are more real there. It's about the fans and the football more and more in the lower leagues, more about greed at the top.

Great, so if and when Charlton ever get to the top then they'll be the exception won't they?

Every single player pushes it as far as they can, from claiming a throw in upwards and if you think differently that's fine, but that by your definition is gamesmanship and cheating, there are no paragons of vitue, from non league level up.

So 1966, was it over the line? Not so sure myself.

Great, so if and when Charlton ever get to the top then they'll be the exception won't they?

Can we not strive to be? Even if we never make it, that does not make it right to cheat. Not by any stretch of the imagination. When Paulo Di Canio dived to get a penalty while playing for us, Alan Curbishley dropped him for three games. That has always come back to me: it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing, as long as you know what your standards are, and adhere to them, then your conscience is clear.

I hope if we ever get that far we won't have done it through cheating. If we ever do, then I'll be a football supporter no longer.

Every single player pushes it as far as they can, from claiming a throw in upwards and if you think differently that's fine, but that by your definition is gamesmanship and cheating, there are no paragons of vitue, from non league level up.

I think you need to come and sit in the cheap seats and watch a football league match ;) not every player pushes the boundaries for everything. I will say this, all but given up on seeing a foul throw ever being given again - nobody seems capable of throwing the ball properly, never mind how far along the touchline they may go...!

So 1966, was it over the line? Not so sure myself.

Wouldn't know: was born in 1987!!!

Can we not strive to be? Even if we never make it, that does not make it right to cheat. Not by any stretch of the imagination. When Paulo Di Canio dived to get a penalty while playing for us, Alan Curbishley dropped him for three games. That has always come back to me: it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing, as long as you know what your standards are, and adhere to them, then your conscience is clear.

I hope if we ever get that far we won't have done it through cheating. If we ever do, then I'll be a football supporter no longer.

I think you need to come and sit in the cheap seats and watch a football league match ;) not every player pushes the boundaries for everything. I will say this, all but given up on seeing a foul throw ever being given again - nobody seems capable of throwing the ball properly, never mind how far along the touchline they may go...!

Wouldn't know: was born in 1987!!!

So no Charlton player ever claims a throw in when he knows it's not his, c'mon, I just don't believe it or more to the point I think you're kidding yourself.

As to sitting in the cheap seat, you haven't a clue, I've probably been to more league grounds to watch a match than you'll ever even think of visiting, and we'll forget about the completely obscure places I've gone to to watch a game, ever been to Volgograd?

As to '66, completely disingenuous answer, do they not have video or dvd in south London? You seem to be able to use it when it suits?

Like I said before they're all at it, this is a belter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UikDST2yFo

Funny how this one didn't spark your outrage, then again it's not a United player, and you wonder why I think you're somewhat selective with your criticism?

• RMweb Gold

I've just read that some (Chelsea?) supporters couldn't respect a minutes silence.

Just about sums up football at the moment.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

• RMweb Premium

If it is any consellation to anyone, Doncaster probably have been most affected by refereeing decisions this weekend, although in fairness victory would not have saved then and would have taken us down with them. As it is Pompey have to win all three remaining games and hope Bristol City fail to pick up any points...a tall order.

I suspect our relegation will be confirmed at Palace on Tuesday.

• Like 1

So no Charlton player ever claims a throw in when he knows it's not his, c'mon, I just don't believe it or more to the point I think you're kidding yourself.

Actually they do, and I get equally annoyed. I'm not alone in that! But there is a big difference between calling for a throw and diving to the ground to get an opponent sent off or a penalty. The latter just doesn't happen very often in the lower leagues, because the referee just doesn't give them! I have a feeling the lower league referees have an easier time because less players go for the dive.

As to sitting in the cheap seat, you haven't a clue, I've probably been to more league grounds to watch a match than you'll ever even think of visiting, and we'll forget about the completely obscure places I've gone to to watch a game, ever been to Volgograd?

Nope but I have been to SK Rapid Wien for nearly eight years now :) That count?

As to '66, completely disingenuous answer, do they not have video or dvd in south London? You seem to be able to use it when it suits?

Well yes, but if you can tell me it didn't, I know of a dozen people who will. I'm not sure what your point is there: it's a goal where no one can really tell now, and both teams agree it's a 50/50 anyway, whereas Young's dive earlier is 99% dive and 1% minimal contact which is apparently enough for a foul in your books. But hey ho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UikDST2yFo

Funny how this one didn't spark your outrage, then again it's not a United player, and you wonder why I think you're somewhat selective with your criticism?

Actually it did, but I didn't have access to RMweb at the time. :) It's a pity he wasn't retrospectively punished for that. Disgusting dive.

I think Carroll and Suarez go into the same category of "cheat" and it's the one time I agreed with Sir Alex Ferguson this year!

EDIT: Missed two vital words above - "very often"!

Edited by S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Been a bad day for me and referee decisions. Apart from the Chelsea non-goal ( who knows how the game would have gone ).

Still no chance of technolgy being introduced for Sunday Junior League football. I'm fed up.

But ought not a top level team fall apart if one dubious goal is given against them?

As for no technology for junior games. Isn't that part of the argument against technology, why should some levels have it and not others?

Kevin Martin

But ought not a top level team fall apart if one dubious goal is given against them?

As for no technology for junior games. Isn't that part of the argument against technology, why should some levels have it and not others?

Kevin Martin

No, a top team shouldn't fall apart, But who knows how the game would have gone IF Bales goal had been an equaliser. Spurs were probably the better team up to 'That' goal.

As for technology, of course you couldn't have it at all levels, but in the top divisions bad decisions can cost a club a fortune. TV cameras are at all games down to league 2. Surely a minute or so for the ref to look at TV footage that is available isn't too much to ask. As mentioned in an earlier post, so what if a game goes on for another ten minutes, as long as the decisions are correct. Of course i'm bitter, i'm a Spurs fan, and we dont seem to be getting our fair share of luck. No doubt some will argue.

• RMweb Gold

Well that picture doesn't convince me the ball crossed the line. And the ref has admitted he got it wrong. Oh well move on to the next disaster.

Agreed, but it doesn't look as clear cut as people have been making out either.

Who'd be a ref when everyone else but you can access the technology?

Agreed, but it doesn't look as clear cut as people have been making out either.

Who'd be a ref when everyone else but you can access the technology?

Your right being a ref is a horrible job at the moment. BUT we keep being told a ref can't give it if he didn't see it. SO why give a goal he couldn't possibly have seen. Still getting fed up with this subject now. It aint gonna change nothing ( come on Liverpool LOL, dont realy mean it )

• RMweb Gold

I think Carroll and Suarez go into the same category of "cheat" and it's the one time I agreed with Sir Alex Ferguson this year!

And Fergusons view of Youngs dive was "Young went down quite easily - Ferguson" - no mention of the word cheat there then.

• RMweb Gold

I see Muamba has left hospital ....

... and not forgetting the player in Italy who want as lucky.

Sort of puts our differences and little tiffs into perspective, doesn't it?

• Like 2

I think it boils down to the simple fact that in the main most people aren't that bothered if their team wins, how many here would be morally outraged if England won the World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line...nuff said.

Well, I for one would feel it a hollow victory. In any sport, what's the point of winning if you have to cheat to do it? I went right off Michael Owen the day he dived to get a penalty against Argentina in the World Cup. It was pathetic and cynical, and the fact that it set Beckham up to score a winning penalty was neither here nor there in my view. The victory tasted rotten.

As for yesterday, I almost feel robbed of seeing my team do well, even though the scorecard says 5-1. Chelsea got better and better in the last 30 minutes, but what would have happened if that second goal hadn't been given? In a way, it seemed that Spurs only really upped their game for a while after it went 2-0, but in reality, it's impossible to say what the result would have been. I like to think that Chelsea would have won anyway, but I'm a fan, and therefore biased. I only thank goodness that 3 of the goals were so good, and quite uncontroversial!

Incidentally, I wouldn't say that all of the Chelsea team claimed the goal (and by implication, are therefore a bunch of cheats). Juan Mata certainly did, but John Terry, for one, only cheered after the ref had given it, as far as I could see. As for the rest of the Blue half of the field, they probably couldn't clearly see one way or the other. Goal-line technololgy, though? Do me a favour! you don't need a microchip in the ball when the simplest TV replay clearly showed it not to be a goal. At least the Chelsea players interviewed after the game had the good grace not to be too smug.

Likewise, after Ashley Young's heroic plunge yesterday, the game was effectively over as a contest - a contest which Man Utd would almost certainly have won anyway. But likewise, we'll never know for sure what would have happened in a fair contest. And I'm sorry if I offend anyone by mentioning Young again. He's simply the latest in a long line of Premier League cheats, and he's now effectively won two games on the trot by dodgy means.

And let's not have this "contact=foul" nonsense. If the attacker deliberately causes the foul by sticking out a leg, and then flies through the air like Greg Louganis (one for the kids, there...), he is the one who has committed the foul, not the defender. It's one thing running at a defender in the expectation that he'll do something reckless, but to make sure of the foul after the defender has pulled his leg out of the challenge, is cheating, and inexcusable.

To me, the worst thing ever to happen regarding cheating was the overturning of Eduardo's ban. It clearly sent out the message that diving was acceptable in most cases, and now, they're at it more than ever. Notable exceptions are Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez - neither of which I particularly admire as personalities, but both of whom would rather chase a ball through the box than take an easy dive.

• Like 5

To me, the worst thing ever to happen regarding cheating was the overturning of Eduardo's ban. It clearly sent out the message that diving was acceptable in most cases, and now, they're at it more than ever.

I completely agree Steve. It set quite a precedent. However...there were some notable divers and dives even before that incident. I hate to pick on United again (!) but there was of course, the boy Ronaldo (a player I loved to watch when he played football, and loathed when he fell to the floor), but I remember feeling thoroughly disgusted after watching Pires - oh, so many times...

As for Muamba, great to see he's on the mend. It is a tragedy of the game that the Italian footballer did not survive on Saturday. :(

Anyone see Gary Neville on Monday Night Football earlier? If not then it's well worth a look, best piece of analysis I've seen in a long while, might open one or two eyes too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNx5ok60U6A&feature=youtu.be

Best part of 15 mins, but well worth watching.

I couldn't have put it better myself, and no I'm not from Bury.........

Edited by Red Devil
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aston Villa...be afraid, very afraid.

Wigan have suddenly kicked into gear...helped by the supreme arrogance of both Man Utd and now Arsenal. Of all the teams at the bottom of the table, Wigan and QPR have managed to get some decent results. Wolves are doomed, and I think Blackburn are too, but aside from them Villa are struggling for form. Only being 6 points clear of the drop zone. They also play Bolton, who could easily overhaul them with a run of highly winable games...including a trip to Villa.

Note to Wolves. If your team is struggling, firing your manager is not always the best option...exhibit 1 - Wigan Athletic. Even if they do finally go down, they have fought hard and had an influence on the league in general.

What a fascinating season this is!

• Like 1