The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Hats off to Chelsea for last night's performance.

With Arsenal putting 3 past AC Milan last week (albeit missing out on overturning their defeat the other week), and now Chelsea beating Napoli by the same margin, perhaps English football is not as out of step with the rest of Europe as has been suggested over the last few weeks.

However unlikely it is, how ironic would it be if Chelsea were to finally get their hands on the Champions League trophy with an interim manager?

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 3

..... how ironic would it be if Chelsea were to finally get their hands on the Champions League trophy with an interim manager?

Maybe Chelski might perform better if they had "guest managers", changing each week just like they do on Have I Got News For You?

Imagine Chelski led by Brian Blessed for a weekend.

• RMweb Premium

In terms of who will replace Ferguson. Only Mourinho has got to unshakable belief in his abilities to take this job.

Ferguson has been so successful, and has stamped his mark on the club and the team so completely that it would take a major upheaval for another manager to take on the United role. He has the ability to fashion really good teams from a few great, but mainly average players...how many other managers would have got the present United team to the top of the table?

United fans must also be extremely wary of the future as his influence is complete. Once he retires he should break all contact from the club for a couple of years as his continued presence will do any new manager no favours. You could almost argue that he has gone on too long. Sure there has been success over the last few years, but could that be to the detriment for the future?

As it stands, the only manager that can pull off Ferguson's trick of getting more out of a team than the sum of its parts, as well as having a good eye in the transfer market is Martin O'Neill.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Chelski might perform better if they had "guest managers", changing each week just like they do on Have I Got News For You?

Imagine Chelski led by Brian Blessed for a weekend.

:biggrin_mini2:

He would certainly get heard above the din of a full Stamford Bridge...

The following European tie would be in the hands of Boris Johnson!

• RMweb Premium

As everyone moves into the opposing penalty box, the command "DIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!" would be heard.

But nothing, compared to the sound of Fergie or Whinger complaining about the refereeing standards.

Kevin Martin

• Like 1

In terms of who will replace Ferguson. Only Mourinho has got to unshakable belief in his abilities to take this job.

Ferguson has been so successful, and has stamped his mark on the club and the team so completely that it would take a major upheaval for another manager to take on the United role. He has the ability to fashion really good teams from a few great, but mainly average players...how many other managers would have got the present United team to the top of the table?

United fans must also be extremely wary of the future as his influence is complete. Once he retires he should break all contact from the club for a couple of years as his continued presence will do any new manager no favours. You could almost argue that he has gone on too long. Sure there has been success over the last few years, but could that be to the detriment for the future?

As it stands, the only manager that can pull off Ferguson's trick of getting more out of a team than the sum of its parts, as well as having a good eye in the transfer market is Martin O'Neill.

I think there's a fair chance that Mourinho wants the job, he's on exceptionally good terms with SAF and yeah, probably would be the ideal choice.

O' Neil, not in a month of Sundays, his type of anti-football football will not go down well with the Old Trafford faithful, flair players don't abound in his teams and that's the sort of player that Utd fans love above all else.

Worried, no not really, I was there when Utd were crap, I really began attending regularly (with my grandad) in season 73/4, when we were in the second division, I did home and away week in week out in the eighties when we won a couple of cups and failed abysmally to win the league, we have no god given rigfht to be good, although with the huge sums involved nowadays I can't really see us getting relegated again. So a few barren seasons won't worry me, as I've said earlier I was convinced in 92 we'd never win the league, so 12 titles a couple of European cups and various others over the last 20+ years were really beyond my dreams. So if it all goes pear shaped for a while, ce la vie, we'll still be the club that everyone wants to slag off/talk about/hate/love/loathe. That might sound arrogant but it is the case, not many clubs have the same effect.

When I heard channel five were going to get Manchester United, I didn't think it would mean that they would lose Home and Away!!

sorry hat/ coat

gone

mark

Yeah, it was nealy as good as Liverpool in europe this year, Wrexham away in a friendly.............. :sungum:

• Like 1

Stable, but in a critical condition. All we can do - as all football supporters are doing, I might add - is pray to whatever God you believe in, or not as the case may be, and as one, hope for his continued survival.

23 years old and in a much better shape than me at 24. I cannot begin to imagine the emotions passing through his friends, family and colleagues.

It is a testament to the humanism inherent in football that both Spurs and Bolton supporters alike were chanting his name, willing him on to live.

Both incredibly beautiful and desperately sad at the same time.

• Like 3

Got back from WHL a few hours ago.

I didn't see Fabrice collapse but the initial reaction of the players near him showed that something serious had happened. This very quickly escalated with both the Spurs physio and ambulance crews called onto the pitch (Bolton physio already there) and the speed and urgency with which they were working on him. It was just after that somebody nearby shouted '****, cpr' Thats when the full picture of what was going on was there for all of us to see.

The crowd at first was a very eerie kind of silent, nothing like a 'minutes silence' silence. Then lots of shouts of encouragement and as pointed out on ITV the crowd almost moving in time with the medical staff giving cpr. Then a good long chant of his name by all sections of the ground.

Abandoning the game was the only correct option as it was clear that all the players were effected, and the appetite for the match which had been pretty good so far was gone. When it was announced there was round of applause and we all made our way out. What struck me on the walk to the station was how many people were on their phones, not talking but using the internet for info. It almost gave the same impression as when camera phones are all held up at a gig. A trivial point but one that has left a impression.

I have to say that Howard Webb and his team were superb in their handling of the situation, he was a true professional and did his job calmly and clearly in directing the staff and players. Hopefully all the medical crew sensed how much we were all behind them too.

Whenever the game is replayed I hope beyond hope that Fabrice Muamba is able to watch it too. As as been said on quite a few football forums, Hang on in there son.

• Like 9

I echo all the prayers for Patrice Muamba's recovery.

According to the latest reports, he is being kept deliberately in an induced coma (there is a long medical name for the procedure) for the time being so they can monitor his vital organs.

Events such as this really do bring my perceived problems into perspective.

A reminder that such terrible events could strike any of us down without warning, even when seemingly fit and without symptoms.

Now in my late 50's, it's something I find particularly scary (I'm sure many of you know the feeling?)

It's even more tragic when it's a young person who's struck down like this.

Like most people, I'm hoping he pulls through this relatively unscathed and makes a good recovery. Hang on in there son.

• Like 1

Looking better for Muamba now, reports that he's awake and speaking, bloody good news that.

So back to the football hopefully, Unusual occurence for me coming up, wanting Torres to score and Chelsea to win :scratchhead:

Think I'll back City in the 'el plastico' game, can't really lose on that one............ :D

• Like 1

Looking better for Muamba now, reports that he's awake and speaking, bloody good news that.

I would say that news is nothing short of a miracle. Reports suggest he has recognised relatives and spoken a little in both French and English. Well done mate, and keep fighting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So back to the football hopefully, Unusual occurence for me coming up, wanting Torres to score and Chelsea to win :scratchhead:

Yes, that would be good, we need the points to get past Spurs & Arsenal. Would be great if Torres suddenly realised what his been doing wrong all this time!

As for 1st place, does it matter?

:jester:

Kevin Martin