The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

I'd have thought that the manager provides the strategic framework that the team has to implement, what happens on the playing field is tactical and largely out of the control of the manager*.

* Apart from clutching his head in despair as the team rush about like cats chasing a spot of light...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I'm amused by Scots still complaining about not getting a penalty, when there should've been a penalty and three red cards (or two reds and a yellow) for breaking Barni Varga's face. Haven't heard anything about any of them commenting about it either, or asking if he's alright...

As long as England win, Hungary advance, so cheering doubly so for England... and if they win by 3, Hungary will face the winner of Slovakia v Romania, which would be absolutely an epic matchup, those are both more intense hatreds than England/Scotland or Brazil/Argentina or anything else you can imagine...

Edited by britishcolumbian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, britishcolumbian said:

I'm amused by Scots still complaining about not getting a penalty

The stats for that match say it all:

Shots: Hungary 14, Scotland 4

On target: Hungary 5, Scotland 0

Quite honestly they didn't deserve to win, and I'd say the same about England as well if their stats were that bad.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Well done, Austria!  Great team spirit, decent football - could be a dark horse?  (Well, probably not, given the Viennese Riding School and Lipitzaners).

Switched over and managed to miss two goals during the Lewandowski penalty palaver...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

If Southgate had a Ferrari he’d drive it with the handbrake on and in first gear.

And never try and overtake!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, britishcolumbian said:

As long as England win, Hungary advance, so cheering doubly so for England... and if they win by 3,

....and just what colour is the sky on this fantasy, alternative planet??? 

laughing-cartoon-you-want-it-when.jpg.63bd2afe83448c5eaa00a91a661736bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

....and just what colour is the sky on this fantasy, alternative planet??? 

laughing-cartoon-you-want-it-when.jpg.63bd2afe83448c5eaa00a91a661736bc.jpg

Purple with pink triangles, yellow circles, and blue diamonds.

So they go and score zero goals, thanks a lot, heh. Well there's still a good possibility, if Turkey beat Czechia and Portugal beat Georgia, Hungary will advance... but Hungary can still advance if the Czechs beat Turkey by 4. There's another possibility too with Slovakia's group but that's even less likely than England scoring 6 in their next match... so come on Turks and Portuguese!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

How come we always manage to make it look as if the opposition have two more players on the pitch than us? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I think I've discerned the strategy that England deployed for the Group stage.  It was DON'T LOSE, and save the players.  Draws were acceptable, the win against Serbia must have come as a great shock, Southgate was probably expecting a draw there and that would explain why they faffed about for the rest of the game,

So England are through to the knockout stage, and won't be facing Germany in the first match.  For their sake, its to be hoped that they have a phase 2 strategy (WIN WIN WIN) and have been practicing taking penalties...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

I love these tournaments as all those that never normally watch football come out of the woodwork!

For a good laugh listen to the radio phone ins....

Classic on Talk Sport last night of a "fan" moaning as he's spent "good money" attending so England should be entertaining. So? That's you problem. If you want fun then go to Butlins!

I doubt those fans who travel all over the country or even world following their club team have any sympathy.

TNS for example are starting in the Champions League on 9th July and have then got to go to Montenegro the week after!

I can guarantee none of them will be moaning.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2024 at 16:16, Hobby said:

The stats for that match say it all: Shots: Hungary 14, Scotland 4  On target: Hungary 5, Scotland 0

Quite honestly they didn't deserve to win..........

I don't think that any of us would suggest otherise.  Scottish football fans, unlike the English, expect to be disappointed by their team's performance and anything else is a bonus.  The 2024 Euro performances were very feeble.  However, the Tartan Army follows their team not in expecation of any trophy, but purely and simply to party.  It's a successful and popular tactic - listeners to a German radio station voted Scottish fans the best at the tournament- they got more votes than all the other 23 teams put together.  Sadly, while that may bring popularity, it doesn't bring a trophy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sad to say, but England will never do well in a summer tournament. The British leagues start in a few weeks. Would you risk an injury when you're on £ thousands a week?  A tournament; any cup, is small potatoes  when you feel you are better than the game. 

It won't happen until England managers start looking at the non-premiership clubs. Those so-called lesser players can run just as fast, and amazingly, score goals. if someone like Harry Redknapp can lift the FA cup for Portsmouth, then it needs people in that ilk to make it happen. 

I'll probably get howls of derision, but that's life.  

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

It won't happen until England managers start looking at the non-premiership clubs. Those so-called lesser players can run just as fast, and amazingly, score goals. if someone like Harry Redknapp can lift the FA cup for Portsmouth, then it needs people in that ilk to make it happen.

I once suggested that the England team should be whichever league club, capable of fielding enough English players, that is highest placed in the various tables at the start of a tournament. The idea being that they would at least be used to playing together and would have nothing to lose; so ‘Go For It’.

My brother sympathised with the notion but pointed out that this had already been tried, with disastrous results. I do not know the validity of this but I would rather see Plymouth Argyle playing their socks off than endure the agony of watching a bunch of overpaid Prima Donna’s trying not to lose.

• Like 3

Ehhhh how Portugal loses to Georgia... fix fix fix to make sure Hungary don't advance! Wahhhh...

No I'm not being serious, they deserve to be out for that unforgivably dismal performance in their first 45 minutes of play - this team had no business, on paper, losing to the Swiss. Szoboszlai even made us a promise before the tournament: "we guarantee the fans an unforgettable performance". I suppose he's right, but this isn't what we thought you meant...

England, on the other hand, you expect a lacklustre performance from... I really don't want him to leave but I think a guy like Richie Wellens could do well with the Lions. Look for a boss from the lower levels, there are some fantastic tactical thinkers and motivators down there!

Interestingly England aren't the only "big" team seemingly unable to score, France qualified with a 1-1 draw helped by a pen and a 1-0 win courtesy of an OG!

15 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Sad to say, but England will never do well in a summer tournament. The British leagues start in a few weeks. Would you risk an injury when you're on £ thousands a week?  A tournament; any cup, is small potatoes  when you feel you are better than the game. 

I'll probably get howls of derision, but that's life.  

You may be right with your assumptions, though I don't agree with the managers looking a non premier league clubs, very occasionally you will find the odd very outstanding player in the lower leagues, but I would suggest there more than enough enough English players in the top Premier league clubs let alone all PL clubs

Whilst I like Gareth Southgate very much, over the past 3 games the team as a whole played like their manager, slow and predictable. The gamble on Luke Shaw failed, Trippier is no left back. Guehi I am undecided. Then several players have not turned up, Kane being the major one, Foden not far behind.

Trent Alexandre Arnold seemingly was made the scape goat, but then Gallagher has struggled, it was a free hit and Southgate did nothing. 

Finally we saw Palmer, Mainoo is a breath of fresh air, Bowen has shown he wants to play and why has Watkins not had more time. The hottest defense transfer topic is Branthwait, why does Southgate not get it

On Tuesday I was disappointed with the team selection, their performance was a bit better but not good enough, at half time I thought Southgate was waking up to the issue by making a subistute, but a false dawn as the changes were both too late and not enough. Ben White's admission is costing us dearly added to that too much loyalty on  underperforming old timers.

I am not expecting any changes on Sunday in either performance or personnel, the only crumb of comfort is that most of the big teams are in the same situation. Roll on the start of the season when football returns and teams desire to win 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Roll on the start of the season when football returns and teams desire to win 

That's debateable with some of the 'teams'. Looking at you Chelsea and Man United!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

That's debateable with some of the 'teams'. Looking at you Chelsea and Man United!

Kevin

Sorry to disappoint you. Cannot stand Man U but I can still like quality players, as a teenager I followed Chelsea (in the days of Chopper Harris, Peter Osgood etc).

There are only 3 teams in London  Arsenal, Arsenal reserves and Arsenal ladies. Few if any Man U or Chelsea players would get into City's, Liverpool or Arsenal teams, no doubt times will change and they will improve their existing players or get better ones,

Interesting season coming with Arsenal on City's heals, City in dock over spending, Liverpool having a new manager, perhaps Villa getting closer. With FFP rules kicking a few clubs need to shift players quickly, so it might be the big 3 ?

But with 3 teams going for it last season it was a great year, hopefully as good if not better this coming season

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, hayfield said:

Kevin

Sorry to disappoint you. Cannot stand Man U but I can still like quality players, as a teenager I followed Chelsea (in the days of Chopper Harris, Peter Osgood etc).

There are only 3 teams in London  Arsenal, Arsenal reserves and Arsenal ladies. Few if any Man U or Chelsea players would get into City's, Liverpool or Arsenal teams, no doubt times will change and they will improve their existing players or get better ones,

Interesting season coming with Arsenal on City's heals, City in dock over spending, Liverpool having a new manager, perhaps Villa getting closer. With FFP rules kicking a few clubs need to shift players quickly, so it might be the big 3 ?

But with 3 teams going for it last season it was a great year, hopefully as good if not better this coming season

I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me, I suggested that Chelsea (my team) and United players at times weren't putting much of an effort in last season. Some of their lacklustre results proved that.

As for abandoning Chelsea for Arsenal - what words can possibly describe such action? This is a family friendly forum - mostly.

😱

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me, I suggested that Chelsea (my team) and United players at times weren't putting much of an effort in last season. Some of their lacklustre results proved that.

As for abandoning Chelsea for Arsenal - what words can possibly describe such action? This is a family friendly forum - mostly.

😱

Sorry I thought you were saying I was either a Chelsea or Man U supporter.  I can admire other teams players however both clubs seem to have owners with little interest in their supporters, possibly something which could have been levied at Arsenal for a time, however for over two years now the supporters seem to have lost the Highbury Library tag and are nosier when the team is in trouble

I went to watch Chelsea (in the days of Ken Bates) for free as my friends dad was in charge of a set of turnstiles and we were let via a side gate by his dad. What you cannot disagree with is that with one exception Arsenal stick with their managers

I remember Alex Ferguson being 3 matches from the sack, where would they be had they sacked him ? 

Good luck with next season, but with FFP and very long contracts Chelsea seen to have off field issues to deal with, thankfully Arsenal owe Chelsea one, having both dodged Mudryk and selling us Havertz and Jorginho .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2024 at 10:00, hayfield said:

You may be right with your assumptions, though I don't agree with the managers looking a non premier league clubs, very occasionally you will find the odd very outstanding player in the lower leagues, but I would suggest there more than enough enough English players in the top Premier league clubs let alone all PL clubs

Whilst I like Gareth Southgate very much, over the past 3 games the team as a whole played like their manager, slow and predictable. The gamble on Luke Shaw failed, Trippier is no left back. Guehi I am undecided. Then several players have not turned up, Kane being the major one, Foden not far behind.

Trent Alexandre Arnold seemingly was made the scape goat, but then Gallagher has struggled, it was a free hit and Southgate did nothing. 

Finally we saw Palmer, Mainoo is a breath of fresh air, Bowen has shown he wants to play and why has Watkins not had more time. The hottest defense transfer topic is Branthwait, why does Southgate not get it

On Tuesday I was disappointed with the team selection, their performance was a bit better but not good enough, at half time I thought Southgate was waking up to the issue by making a subistute, but a false dawn as the changes were both too late and not enough. Ben White's admission is costing us dearly added to that too much loyalty on  underperforming old timers.

I am not expecting any changes on Sunday in either performance or personnel, the only crumb of comfort is that most of the big teams are in the same situation. Roll on the start of the season when football returns and teams desire to win 

You are correct about the quantity of players in the Premier. However,  The league games start up in a few weeks, and I honestly believe that the earnings potential for a premier player, far outweighs any 'mere' national game. 

Selection for  the national team shouldn't necessarily be about being in the Premier; players should be chosen for their ability and attitude.

'Right person; right place; right time; right job.   

• Like 3