The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

3 minutes ago, pH said:

Unfortunately, that is one of life’s pleasures that, so far, has been denied to me.

dont bother mate its awfull under unsworth buy two strikers who have scored 20 goals already this season play one up front on his own  tuther on bench till your 4-1 down then take one off tuther on and play with a winger as a front two ?

clueless ?

be lucky to get nil tommorow against notts county 

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

I don't understand this crediting with assists. Surely the whole team is playing a part in assisting goalscorers? Otherwise, as Brian Clough said, what are they doing on the pitch?

But surely you must have seen a goal or two where a winger speeds down the wing, and delivers a cross onto the head of a striker who scores?

In my view that deserves credit.

cheers

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

But surely you must have seen a goal or two where a winger speeds down the wing, and delivers a cross onto the head of a striker who scores?

In my view that deserves credit.

Not all “assists” have as clear cut value, for want of a better term, in creating the goal scoring opportunity.

There are lots of goals and goal scoring opportunities, created by the pass or moves, made immediately prior to the penultimate player, who touches the ball before the scorer.

The player or players involved don’t get the “assist” credit, whereas the penultimate player gets the “assist” accreditation, even if they just scuff the ball, or head it in a general direction in hope, etc.

In short, accreditation for an assist can (and is) unfairly awarded.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Not all “assists” have as clear cut value, for want of a better term, in creating the goal scoring opportunity.

There are lots of goals and goal scoring opportunities, created by the pass or moves, made immediately prior to the penultimate player, who touches the ball before the scorer.

The player or players involved don’t get the “assist” credit, whereas the penultimate player gets the “assist” accreditation, even if they just scuff the ball, or head it in a general direction in hope, etc.

In short, accreditation for an assist can (and is) unfairly awarded.

I quite agree. I notice that not all goals have an assist recorded.

In any case there will always be a certain amount of subjectivity about the creation, and scoring, of a goal,

and whether another player had a major contribution in the score.  

Of course it is also true that many goals have been scored by a scuff, or mis-hit by the goal scorer, but they all count don't they?

I reckon I have watched perhaps 600-700 live football matches over  40 years. While I still appreciate that

the scorer has to be in the right place for a tap-in I still really enjoy a good well-worked team goal, 

cheers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Of course it is also true that many goals have been scored by a scuff, or mis-hit by the goal scorer, but they all count don't they?

Yes, there are no extra ‘style points’ in football.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, peanuts said:

dont bother mate its awfull under unsworth buy two strikers who have scored 20 goals already this season play one up front on his own  tuther on bench till your 4-1 down then take one off tuther on and play with a winger as a front two ?

clueless ?

be lucky to get nil tommorow against notts county 

, and you thought you had problems before!

The Latics seem to lurch from drama to crisis.

Mike.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

, and you thought you had problems before!

The Latics seem to lurch from drama to crisis.

Mike.

off the field things are going brilliant new owners are hands on and getting the to grips with 30+ years of neglect of the infrastructure of the club lots of little things getting pigeon off seats lick of paint here and there fill in pot holes on carpark and walk ways junior latics resurected fans bar before and after games players lounge and eating area at the stadium .training  pitch known as little wembley re laid and sorted for youth set up much better communication from the club with the fans club shop back in club hands solid foundations to build a club on . just the team on the field after substantial investment john eberil in as youth coach B team set up under franny jeffers whos also first team coach 11 new signings in 100 days for unsworth but there the positivity stops awful boring negative tactics that hand the imitative to the opposition are why we are where we are 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My pet hate in the modern game is the failure to record many (most?) of the OGs as such. If a shot is deflected by a defender in a way that means the goalie can’t stop it, but without the deflection it is odds on that he/she would have done, for me it is an OG.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, john new said:

If a shot is deflected by a defender in a way that means the goalie can’t stop it, but without the deflection it is odds on that he/she would have done, for me it is an OG.

I thought that an OG required a deliberate action by the ‘scorer’. It may be a (glaring!) mistake but the action is deliberate. A deflection where the ball strikes the player without any intention on that player’s part should not, IMO, be scored as an OG. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, john new said:

My pet hate in the modern game is the failure to record many (most?) of the OGs as such. If a shot is deflected by a defender in a way that means the goalie can’t stop it, but without the deflection it is odds on that he/she would have done, for me it is an OG.

I think that current ruling is that ball only has to be heading toward the goal before being deflected for a player to claim that they scored it rather than it being an OG. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

I thought that an OG required a deliberate action by the ‘scorer’. It may be a (glaring!) mistake but the action is deliberate. A deflection where the ball strikes the player without any intention on that player’s part should not, IMO, be scored as an OG. 

I guess back in the day I played in goal too often. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, john new said:

I guess back in the day I played in goal too often. 

I’ve played defence, usually centre back, for many (many!) years, which probably colours my view.

And even by the standard I described, I have scored some spectacular OGs!

• Like 2

Well, how often do you see a hat - trick from three set pieces, and scored by a full back at that? It happened in about 15 minutes in the second half at Stalybridge yesterday, two direct free kicks and a (soft) penalty. Turned the match on its head. The ref. still had time to overrule an assisitant's offside flag to make it 4 - 1, and for Liversedge to score a second, and make for a nervous last 10 minutes. Cracking game!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Predictably,Everton have sacked Frank Lampard.Maybe the Board think there's someone better out there with a magic cure for the team's lack of success.

One line of thought could be that,in other industries,if a company continues to do badly,then the MD or whoever could be dimissed.In my view,football is very different.The manager can only do so much,once the team are on the field the players have the responsibility to perform.Various excuses seem to have come about in recent times_"the managers' lost the dressing room","so-and -so has been asked to play slightly out of position","we don't like the way the manager is asking us to play",etc etc.I don't buy any of that,the players have a responsibility to their employers,and to the fans who regularly support their team and who are often expected to pay higher prices each season.

I started following football a long time ago,and at one time a player had to prove himself over several seasons before being considered a "great",nowadays a player has half a dozen reasonable games and/or scores a couple of decent goals and he's worth £50 million,and I think the media plays no small part in this.

Maybe if some of these Premier League prima donnas were hit in the pocket on a regular basis,they'd feel the need to try harder,I do think some of them believe all the hype and publicity they get and all they need to do is drift through a game with less than 100% commitment.

Did anyone find their enjoyment of the World Cup affected by the use of these "co-commentaters"? Just about all of them couldn't shut up for two minutes,feeling that they they had to fill any silences with their explanations,as if no one watching had any knowledge whatsoever of the game,they bored me senseless so the sound was muted a lot!  Then again,these punters on MOTD and in the papers make a good living doing their level best to over-complicate what is,in essence,a fairly simple game.

Rant over!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

Did anyone find their enjoyment of the World Cup affected by the use of these "co-commentaters"? Just about all of them couldn't shut up for two minutes,feeling that they they had to fill any silences with their explanations,as if no one watching had any knowledge whatsoever of the game,they bored me senseless so the sound was muted a lot!  Then again,these punters on MOTD and in the papers make a good living doing their level best to over-complicate what is,in essence,a fairly simple game.

Rant over!

They should be charged with contributing in no small way to global warming. So much hot air over such trivial matters. It’s one thing to have made a good living chasing a bag of wind around but to then to make a living churning out drivel about is, to me anyway, beyond absurd. 

There seems to be more and more of them every season now too, perhaps ‘diversity’ now demands this, but to my mind collectively they just churn out bolleaux. I’ve got eyes and can make my own mind up thanks.

Edited by PhilH
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, D860 VICTORIOUS said:

Did anyone find their enjoyment of the World Cup affected by the use of these "co-commentaters"? Just about all of them couldn't shut up for two minutes, feeling that they they had to fill any silences with their explanations, as if no one watching had any knowledge whatsoever of the game, they bored me senseless so the sound was muted a lot!  Then again, these punters on MOTD and in the papers make a good living doing their level best to over-complicate what is, in essence, a fairly simple game.

Rant over!

I agree whole heartedly. Too many of these so-called pundits, commentators, analysers, etc., just like the sound of their own voice. Many of them just strike me as complete sycophants who hero-worship certain players, who in their eyes can do no wrong.

Edited by Invicta Informant
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Invicta Informant said:

I agree whole heartedly. Too many of these so-called pundits, commentators, analysers, etc., just like the sound of their own voice. Many of them just strike me as complete sycophants who hero-worship certain players, who in their eyes can do no wrong.

Not just that. Not many of them have actually coached a team of any sort with any success.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Aberdeen! now, should I post here, the Forum Jokes thread or things that make you smile.   Easily the biggest cup upset since 1967, well done Darvel, hope you do the same to Falkirk in the next round.

I liked Darvel manager Mick Kennedy's team talk before the game, though I suspect that in the absence of subtitles some readers from south of the border my have a little difficulty with some of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64380935

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Torper said:

I liked Darvel manager Mick Kennedy's team talk before the game, though I suspect that in the absence of subtitles some readers from south of the border my have a little difficulty with some of it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64380935

If it's a Scottish team why is he talking to them in Serbo-Croat?!

Mike.

• Funny 5

I’m watching the Preston-Spurs game on TV. I was at the last FA Cup game between these two teams, at White Hart Lane 55 years ago. Where did that time go?

• Friendly/supportive 3