The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

Basic question after watching a few games in last few days with blatant fouls not given - is obstruction still in the rule book and, if it is, what on earth has a player to do to get penalised for doing it?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, john new said:

Basic question after watching a few games in last few days with blatant fouls not given - is obstruction still in the rule book and, if it is, what on earth has a player to do to get penalised for doing it?

Based on the number of penalties my team and others have not been given, I reckon carrying a machete is about the starting point.

Mike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john new said:

I believe that, in rugby, it is allowed to remove an obstructing player. That used to be allowed in football - I have seen an obstructing player literally tossed aside. However, allowing that nowadays might cause other problems!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2022 at 17:48, john new said:

How about this?  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/61209581

Edited to add: Although the referee booked both players for this incident, the SFA compliance officer issued a notice of complaint against the Livingstone goalkeeper who as a result has now been banned for two games.

Edited by Torper
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 14/04/2022 at 11:17, Torper said:

I'm sure that lovers of real football will have been very pleased to see that Fort William FC managed to score four goals yesterday while their opponents only managed two.  This was The Fort's first win of the season and puts them on 7 points after 32 games.  However, four of these points have come in the last two games so maybe the side is hitting form at last.  That may however be too late as a new pyramid scheme has been introduced which means that title-winning clubs from the North Caledonian League, the North Junior Super League and the Midlands League – covering Tayside outfits – will play off next season for the right to face the bottom HFL side which will be Fort William.  Having said that, even if successful, only clubs able to fulfil full SFA licensing and membership requirements would be permitted to make the step up into the HFL. Currently, only Banks O’Dee and potentially Golspie Sutherland satisfy that criteria.

And they have been relegated and replaced by Banks O'Dee.  Bit of controversy around this too.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4205723/season-of-struggle-ends-with-play-off-withdrawal-for-fort-william/

Jim

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

And they have been relegated and replaced by Banks O'Dee.  Bit of controversy around this too.

A sad way for them to go out, Jim.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure I can believe what I just watched. WOW, what a 15 minutes for Real M. Another nearly moment for Man C, and Guardiarola the nearly man. I think he must be jinxed.

And congrats to Bournemouth too for yesterday. A Dorset club back in the top flight, shame our next best team. Weymouth, have lost their National League place only 2 seasons after the long years in the wilderness trying to get it back!

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, john new said:

and Guardiarola the nearly man. I think he must be jinxed.

Yes, I thought we'd made it when we went one up! I'm not sure about him being the "nearly man" considering his past record (at City and before!), though he does seem to have fallen into the "City jinx" rather than one of his own! His contract is up the end of next year, it'll be interesting to see what he does, especially if he doesn't win it next year.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Whilst defeats in late rounds in previous years can arguably be ascribed to team selection/tactics, I don't think Guardiola can be criticised for last night, though we do suffer from the lack of a left full-back and a striker.

When I watched City regularly in the days of Allison and Mercer, there was a phrase "typical City".  Some things never change!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Whilst defeats in late rounds in previous years can arguably be ascribed to team selection/tactics, I don't think Guardiola can be criticised for last night, though we do suffer from the lack of a left full-back and a striker.

When I watched City regularly in the days of Allison and Mercer, there was a phrase "typical City".  Some things never change!

Mmm, not sure about the tactics. He had no choice with Walker but withdrawing De Bruyne, Rodri and Mahrez I felt sent the wrong message to his team and he wasn't heeding the warnings of the PSG and Chelsea games. When you have your foot on the throat of a team like Real Madrid you don't remove it. Real on the other hand with their subs sent a message to their team which said " we're going for it" and they did.

The previous night Villareal came out for the second half and sat deeper and Liverpool took the hint and duly blew them away. One sub, Diaz, made by Klopp made the difference and, 5-2 ahead, he could then make the changes to hold the lead.

Never been a City fan but Mercer's Champions are still one of the finest teams I have ever seen. The thrashing of Spurs in the snow at Maine Road is one of the all time great performances.

Corrigan, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Booth, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young and Coleman - and I didn't have to look it up as it's in my memory.

David

Edited by DavidLong
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

Mmm, not sure about the tactics. He had no choice with Walker but withdrawing De Bruyne, Rodri and Mahrez I felt sent the wrong message to his team and he wasn't heeding the warnings of the PSG and Chelsea games. When you have your foot on the throat of a team like Real Madrid you don't remove it. Real on the other hand with their subs sent a message to their team which said " we're going for it" and they did.

The previous night Villareal came out for the second half and sat deeper and Liverpool took the hint and duly blew them away. One sub, Diaz, made by Klopp made the difference and, 5-2 ahead, he could then make the changes to hold the lead.

Never been a City fan but Mercer's Champions are still one of the finest teams I have ever seen. The thrashing of Spurs in the snow at Maine Road is one of the all time great performances.

Corrigan, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Booth, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young and Coleman - and I didn't have to look it up as it's in my memory.

David

Captain Flack and "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub" .

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I think you've lost me there!

David

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Corrigan, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Booth, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young and Coleman

7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I presumed kevinlms’s post was referring to your listing of that Man City team. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Mercer's team of Corrigan, Book. Pardoe, Booth, Oakes etc would not live with todays teams.  The same as Busby's team of Stepney, Brennan, Dunne. Crerand, Foulkes,Stiles etc would not. Man City and Liverpool are currently the best teams in the world. It is a shame that they could not meet in Paris. The recent league game was outstanding, the FA Cup game not so but what an intriguing Champions League Final that would have been. Looks like No7 for Liverpool to me but you never know. Such is the beauty of the game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kendo54 said:

Mercer's team of Corrigan, Book. Pardoe, Booth, Oakes etc would not live with todays teams.  The same as Busby's team of Stepney, Brennan, Dunne. Crerand, Foulkes,Stiles etc would not.

It's an interesting thought, it was a different game back then, much more physical, I wonder how a modern team would fair against that Leeds team of the 70s with all the "hard men" in it. Today they fall over at the slightest touch, but back then "mark your man" had a whole different meaning... I suspect it would be a game of attrition - how long the modern team could keep the ball and not get whacked!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Hobby said:

It's an interesting thought, it was a different game back then, much more physical, I wonder how a modern team would fair against that "dirty Leeds "team of the 70s with all the "hard men" in it. Today they fall over at the slightest touch, but back then "mark your man" had a whole different meaning... I suspect it would be a game of attrition - how long the modern team could keep the ball and not get whacked!

Fixed it for you 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the biggest difference is what refs have to penalise and are presumably told to tolerate. The namby-pamby falling over of the modern era would mostly be waved on by an old days ref. Conversely  the modern day tolerated grappling in the box, the constant obstruction (which never gets given these days), the constant sideways time wasting and over celebration of goals would lead to umpteen bookings if refs applied old style guidance.

The game has changed, not necessarily better, just different. The players are fitter, for a start. Some aspects of the game have been lost though, not helped by poor commentators. So often a really crap pass or cross, because there was no-one to receive it, praised to the heights as a wonderful pass into space. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Hobby said:

It's an interesting thought, it was a different game back then, much more physical, I wonder how a modern team would fair against that Leeds team of the 70s with all the "hard men" in it. Today they fall over at the slightest touch, but back then "mark your man" had a whole different meaning... I suspect it would be a game of attrition - how long the modern team could keep the ball and not get whacked!

They all had hard men then. I watched Southampton circa 1970 when Shankley described us as playing “ale house football”, but they (Liverpool) dished it out too when they had to, and remember Chelsea’s Chopper Harris; he made our Docker Hollywood look like a pussy cat!

Edited by john new
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Kendo54 said:

Looks like No7 for Liverpool to me but you never know.  

Hopefully but will there be any fans there to see it as UEFA have only given a paltry allocation of 20000 each to the clubs. I think the Stade de France holds 75k.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Hopefully but will there be any fans there to see it as UEFA have only given a paltry allocation of 20000 each to the clubs. I think the Stade de France holds 75k.

They have 35K hangers on?

Yep.

Always been the case. Just look at the corporate seats at Wembley when there's a Cup Final. Empty for most of the match as they are too busy scoffing the prawn sandwiches to watch it.

I think the fans know they'll get some corrupt individuals selling them in bars wanting to make a quick buck.

From the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/61354435

Uefa sell 12,000 tickets to fans worldwide but the window for these sales closed on 28 April, days before Liverpool and Real Madrid fans knew their team was in the final.

The remaining 23,000 tickets will be distributed to national associations, commercial partners, broadcasters, and Uefa's official hospitality programme.

Also shame on the BBC for not knowing how to spell UEFA and the fact it's an abbreviation....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And so it comes to this our final home game in the football league 115 years of league history ends not with a bang not with a fight but a whimper from the club who have now reverted to type making it near impossible for fans to gain entry .no pay on day tickets off sale 6pm last night with only 48 hrs notice given no alcohol sales within the stadium sections off the stands netted off no banners or flags allowed with body searches on entry would probably be easier to get into hmp Forrest bank .will be there at 2pm to protest and make my feelings known to the gutless clowns who have brought this about no doubt as per the last five games non of the board or any of thier hangers on will grace us with thier presance .come 3pm I will make the walk up sheepfoot lane for the last  time untill they are gone from this club .50 years of joy despair elation frustration humour delight comraderie & rivalrys gone destroyed by a bunch of nobodys in 4 years . #Abdalahout #timetogoAl&Mo #saveoafc 

Otid coyb owtb 

• Friendly/supportive 10