The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, cary hill said:

Daka becomes the first Leicester City players to score 4 goals in a match since 1958.

…. and in one match their joint top scorer in Europe.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cary hill said:

Well I wasn't expecting that so soon after Saturday's win over United, particularly with Leicester's mediocre opening 44 minutes going 2-0 down, then up steps Patson Daka to score 4 goals in just over half an hour with series of finishes which were Vardy-like in their ruthless simplicity.

Daka becomes the first Leicester City players to score 4 goals in a match since 1958.

There was still time for Spartak to score a third goal in 4-3 mad thriller of a game.

David,

We still need to do something about our defence though.

2 of Spartaks 3 goals should have been defended better, I'll give them the first one because of the deflection  but the other 2 where just poor defending. We need to sort this out, yes we've missed Jonny Evans but we are really missing Fofana, Soyuncu is a very good defender, but I think he's better in a back 3 with Fofana & Evans alongside him.

However, notice how the media are all swanning over ManUre and how Ronaldo has 'come to the rescue' yet again!!!!

Regards

Neal.

COYF

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, john new said:

Has a manager ever been sacked at half-time?

No doubt a rhetorical question, but yes, it has been known...

I believe Martin Jol was a victim of this approach, as was the manager of Chichester City (who was sacked during a match...not sure if it was at half time)...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2021 at 19:01, Calnefoxile said:

However, notice how the media are all swanning over ManUre and how Ronaldo has 'come to the rescue' yet again!!!!

Regards

Neal.

COYF

Will that happen in the morning?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel another leaving by mutual sacking coming on.

He won’t go voluntarily - he knows which side of the bread his pay-off is buttered on.

Don’t you just hate mixed metaphors?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hobby said:

I can't decide whether it that he was let down by his players or out of his depth?

A bit of both.

But also the fans. IMO. More the ones that started supporting them post 1992 rather than the ones who remember the days when United were a very average team that won an occasional cup and sometimes flirted with relegation. In other words the 1970s and 1980s.

They've got to lower their expectations a bit.  They aren't the massive club anymore that's going to win everything, every season without opposition. They need to step back a bit and rebuild. Stop buying the big name flops that cost £100 million and buy quality hard working players. Or bring a few good youngsters through from the youth system.

If you get rid of the manager, you just start the same thing again. Then again.  Any manager needs time and needs the boo boys to get off their back. 

Most other PL teams wouldn't have touched Ronaldo with a bargepole. Just an expensive luxury brought in to paper over the cracks. But some of those fans seem to think it's the Second Coming, it's not.

I know. I've been there with Liverpool. The fans can be your best friend, but they can also be a hindrance.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Mn U- Liverpool. It was a bit of a weird game anyway, I am definitely NOT a United fan but to be fair to them the first two were borderline offside and should have been disallowed; the converse Ronaldo got away with a yellow that should have been a red for deliberately booting the ball two or three times into the defenders nuts just before half-time. Seriously why was that not a red other than because of who it was? Then in the second half Liverpool got away with blatant time wasting (why when 5-0 up?) and I didn't see them get even a warning. Given the importance of goal difference the second half was just farcical.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2021 at 23:51, Steamport Southport said:

A bit of both.

But also the fans. IMO. More the ones that started supporting them post 1992 rather than the ones who remember the days when United were a very average team that won an occasional cup and sometimes flirted with relegation. In other words the 1970s and 1980s.

They've got to lower their expectations a bit.  They aren't the massive club anymore that's going to win everything, every season without opposition. They need to step back a bit and rebuild. Stop buying the big name flops that cost £100 million and buy quality hard working players. Or bring a few good youngsters through from the youth system.

If you get rid of the manager, you just start the same thing again. Then again.  Any manager needs time and needs the boo boys to get off their back. 

Most other PL teams wouldn't have touched Ronaldo with a bargepole. Just an expensive luxury brought in to paper over the cracks. But some of those fans seem to think it's the Second Coming, it's not.

I know. I've been there with Liverpool. The fans can be your best friend, but they can also be a hindrance.

Jason

There was a good article on EPSN, where it suggested that the problem was with United management, especially the owners, the Glazers, who appear to be willing to accept mediocrity.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/manchester-united-engman_utd/story/4505657/man-united-mediocrity-is-down-to-glazers-as-apathy-and-low-standards-take-hold

Not bothering to turn up at one of United's biggest ticket games, as it's not worth getting out of bed for?

But I guess as long as they continue to sell shirts in huge quantities, perhaps it doesn't matter!

Buying in players that are past their prime - Ronaldo is a classic example and can only 'save' the club for a short time.

Although to be honest, it would be good for other clubs if Ole stays!

• Like 1

I said before that one player can't "save" a club. I was chatting with a United  fan a day or two ago and we both agreed that whilst they have some great individual players they are just that, "individual" players, and don't seem to like playing as a team. The top three on the other hand also have some great players but they play as part of a team and don't do their own thing. Of all the United players Pogba is the best example of this lack of team play, though Ronaldo isn't a great deal better. Contrast that with Salah who was often seen going to help out the defence when needed on one match I saw a week or two back. There's nothing wrong with buying in older players, plenty of clubs have done it successfully, but they have to fit in and play as part of a team. I just don't see that at United, sadly. Trouble is next time Ronaldo or Pogba turn up and score goals they'll be hailed again as United's saviours whilst the truth is very different.

• Agree 1

On 25/10/2021 at 13:51, Steamport Southport said:

As far as results are concerned, no, not at the moment, but they are still the biggest club in the world so they are still "massive"!

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of that paragraph, though their fans need to give them time, as do the owners, and I don't see the patience from either of them to allow it to happen, hence the sticking plaster expensive players and up and down results.

Regarding the manager, whilst I have some sympathy with what you say, for it to work you have to have the right manager in place to do that and be trusted to do it, I'm not convinced that Ole, nice bloke that he is, is that manager at that level.

• Like 2

On 26/10/2021 at 20:59, Hobby said:

Just been watching the end of England Women's annihilation of Latvia, some pretty impressive play by the England team and a result the current men's team would dearly like to have!

Just watched the highlights of that and I think the England Women's team should be reported to the League Against Cruel Sports. The poor Latvian keeper appeared to have flippers, where you would normally expect arms to be, which flapped haplessly in the vague general direction of the ball as it flew or rolled by her on multiple occasions. No idea how she managed to save the penalty and the follow up attempt though.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

They weren't doing too badly until the last twenty minutes when I think tiredness took over, I doubt most of the Latvian players are playing at anywhere the same level as the English players on a week by week basis. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So the Spurs roller coaster is off again! Nuno is on the way out and  we're linked with Antonio Conte, Poch, Graham Potter and Scott Parker. Let's see who we end up with! It would be more likely Man U get Conte and we end up with Ollie!

Got to love social media :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I just think it is ridiculous that some are baying for Ollie to go.

Just like it was ridiculous that some were also chanting for Sir Fergy to go 2 years before he retired.

(That is a rare beast. A football Manager that retires!)

Kev.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2021 at 13:15, SHMD said:

I just think it is ridiculous that some are baying for Ollie to go.

Perhaps because he's out of his depth? (Isn't it "Ole" not "Ollie"?)

Interesting set of results this weekend, well done West Ham!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1