The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Well, that was a different game to what I was lead to believe would happen by this thread!

Kev.

(Come on England!)

I should imagine most were being pessimistic, just in case the dream ended tonight.

Another gobsmacking result. Given the results in the round-robin round, who would have credited the last two score sheets?

Denmark are on a roll too, the semi might be a bit tougher.

8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Mistake of the year on the BBC news.

"He's called Slabhead because he scores headed goals".

Nope. He's called Slabhead because he looks like he's smashed into a slab!  :laugh:

Also looks like Oddbod from Carry On Screaming....

Do Private Eye still have Colemanballs?  Send it in, you might get a prize!

I got one years ago, when Hess was still in Spandau Jail and Simon Bates came out with "And in the news today, the case of Rudolph Hess, the guy who's in Spandeau Ballet...".  It even got a "Larry" cartoon in the Colemanballs 3 Compilation book!

15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. He's called Slabhead because he looks like he's smashed into a slab!  :laugh:

Also looks like Oddbod from Carry On Screaming....

NOPE !

Because he simply knows where to be and how to score another excellent goal with a CLEVER head which he also uses to command at the back !!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Denmark will be a very different prospect.

England were OK last night. Even managed a few times to keep possession while going forward which is a real novelty.

But let's face it, Ukraine were fairly awful. How did they get this far? The two goals from set pieces were conceded far too easily.

• Agree 4

Maybe it's my age old England scepticism, but as much as I'm loving the journey and it was a great result last night, let 's face it England teams in the past would have scraped an odd goal win or even pens against a team like that, I cant help feeling we haven't really been tested yet. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Why do I watch football, it's so stressful! I see penalties on the horizon.....

Please no..... 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

...and that was definitely not the hand of god.

...it all evens out eventually and it is about time we weren't always having to run up hill to stand still.

:)

Kev.

(Who has waited a long time.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well.........

Good on 'em!

I must say we did better than the Italians yesterday, we didn't have to rely on a penalty shootout...

Tomorrows Daily Star front page should be interesting after this mornings effort!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Tomorrows Daily Star front page should be interesting after this mornings effort!

What's Freddie Starr been up to now ?

Brit15

• Funny 5

Just a pity England  won by an own goal and a dodgy penalty, as I thought they actually played reasonably well and were entertaining for the majority of the game. I suppose Schmeichel might have had a hand or two in keeping the score down. 

Still the result is everything after a 55 year wait to appear in a major Final.

Edited by cary hill
omission
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, cary hill said:

Just a pity England  won by an own goal and a dodgy penalty,

Certainly a cruel way for Denmark to go out. 

Dodgy penalty decision? Possibly, but VAR went with it, & at least HK kept his wits about him & got the rebound after the save!

On a general note, VAR seems to have worked well during this tournament - quick decisions and, afaik, no 'howlers'. Seems like a contrast to how it became widely resented during the Premier League season.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Well....Southgate's team selection seems to be spot on. Credit where credit is due. Taking Grealish off when the game dictated it was the right thing to do ....spot on.  As for the penalty... the "Hand of God" and Lampard's "goal against Germany " means that that England's stroke of luck has finally been repaid..  Seriously can anyone supply  another example of where England rode their luck in a game since  Geoff Hurst's 2nd in 1966?  . 

• Like 2

This is all a bit surreal! My usual England cynicism is desperate to find an outlet, but England and in particular Gareth Southgate and Raheem Sterling have answered the critics and then some! I cant fault anything they've done at the moment they showed a lot of character after conceding  the goal, rode our luck then managed the game perfectly to reach a well deserved final. Next up a very big test indeed, an extremely good Italian team that seem to attack and press unlike any other Italian teams of the past, they are also the masters of s&%@housery! After watching them against Spain though I do think we can cause them problems, we have a good bit of pace in our attack and if we can get an early goal who knows! It could well be coming home :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kendo54 said:

Well....Southgate's team selection seems to be spot on. Credit where credit is due. Taking Grealish off when the game dictated it was the right thing to do ....spot on.  As for the penalty... the "Hand of God" and Lampard's "goal against Germany " means that that England's stroke of luck has finally been repaid..  Seriously can anyone supply  another example of where England rode their luck in a game since  Geoff Hurst's 2nd in 1966?  . 

I'd dispute that, on the basis that he didn't appear able to orchestrate an actual successful attack? Regarding Hurst, the disputed goal didn't materially affect the game outcome, I think?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I don't follow the game closely, 

48 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I'd dispute that, on the basis that he didn't appear able to orchestrate an actual successful attack? Regarding Hurst, the disputed goal didn't materially affect the game outcome, I think?

OK Mr Shovel, which is it to be?

Mike.

• Funny 6