The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Merkel is not going to be happy lol.

Shes already complaining about the fans..

https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/29/euro-2020-germany-calls-on-uk-and-uefa-to-reduce-crowds-over-delta-variant

Though that was before tonights result, so whilst not in a way she expected, she got what she wanted from a Germany fan perspective.

;-)

When she visits next week, maybe Boris should give her a match ball as a gift.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Merkel is not going to be happy lol.

UK citizens visiting Germany will have to quarantine for 28 days from this evening...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Never worried ;)

We were lightly less worse than Germany.

I would (hopefully) disagree, that we were slightly better than them, and hope it continues

cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

Never worried ;)

We were lightly less worse than Germany.

Up until a minute before the first goal, I was thinking we are in for the usual long haul to inevitable death.

I did notice England consistently had more pace to out run the Germans, who were looking old and tired.. German frustration was growing.

As soon as Kane gave up his useless chance for glory and passed it, suddenly things switched, and started to play like a team that wants to win it, as side of that usual heart stopping inevitable wobble of defence a minute later, they actually deserved it from then on.

I still remember England clutching onto that 1-0 against Argentina in 2002 with total desperation from half time , and managing to lose 2-1 to France, despite being 1-0 at 90 minutes in 2004, so tonight was positively memorable, 2-0 against Germany is respectable, even if it was the end of a German era…

Tonight we are drinking in the elite’s bar, but it appears most of the elite boys are no longer there… this contest reminds me of 2004 a little bit.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

So England get to play against the enigmatic but energetic Ukrainians in the QFs. I would have preferred the stolid rigid Swedes (it would have been easier for Southgate's negative match strategies) but I suppose playing the Ukraine means that perhaps we won't get another predictable dull match.

Mind you if England want to win the match they may have to muster more shots than the measly five they have managed in each of the last two matches - one shot every eighteen minutes - pathetic really and just shows how poor the Germans were today to concede two goals from five shots.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

I watched both of today's games, but it was the later one that confused me a little.  Both Sweden and Ukraine seemed to be playing in IKEA colours.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM
  • Funny 3

England, southgate and Raheem Ster!ing are defying all the critics at the moment, cannot fault them , havent lost or conceded a goal yet.Despite my frustration at another defensively minded line up Gareth played his cards perfectly! I was suprised at how poor the Germans were, lacked any urgency or idea. We had a bit of luck with Muller missing but a lot of that was Jordan Pickford coming of his line. I do feel we haven't really been tested yet though, I'm looking forward to seeing us play against a team that presses with pace and purpose. 

Fantastic result, should beat Ukraine, we've beaten Czechs once, Denmark would be tough but could it really be coming home! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2021 at 20:03, adb968008 said:

Shes already complaining about the fans..

https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/29/euro-2020-germany-calls-on-uk-and-uefa-to-reduce-crowds-over-delta-variant

Though that was before tonights result, so whilst not in a way she expected, she got what she wanted from a Germany fan perspective.

;-)

When she visits next week, maybe Boris should give her a match ball as a gift.

Oh what a difference a week makes…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57699000

Germanys not so scared of us any more, doesnt care about the Euros.

lets see Italys reaction to fans coming to London, assuming they get past Belgium…

Wont they have to follow our rules, which I understand for all of Europe are…

On arrival in England you must:

quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days

take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

or does this rule only apply to British ?

Edited by adb968008

On 29/06/2021 at 23:01, cary hill said:

So England get to play against the enigmatic but energetic Ukrainians in the QFs. I would have preferred the stolid rigid Swedes (it would have been easier for Southgate's negative match strategies) but I suppose playing the Ukraine means that perhaps we won't get another predictable dull match.

Mind you if England want to win the match they may have to muster more shots than the measly five they have managed in each of the last two matches - one shot every eighteen minutes - pathetic really and just shows how poor the Germans were today to concede two goals from five shots.

For "Negative" Read "Pragmatic". You can only play with what you've got, after all.

• Agree 1

On 29/06/2021 at 23:01, cary hill said:

I hope we win, playing some attractive football. But I would take 1-0 with one shot on target if it helps.

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, that was a different game to what I was lead to believe would happen by this thread!

Kev.

(Come on England!)

• Agree 3