The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

If it works, stick to it! 3 teams have FAILED to follow that advice - be grateful.

Fulham have become the experts in bouncing, do you want to like them?

As odd as it may sound perhaps I would.

Brighton were on the brink of the PL for a number of years which meant a period of watching them win more often than lose with something to play for. Now it is just year after year of watching them lose on a regular basis. Despite how wonderful the PL is supposed to be it's not when you know it will just be a survival battle with a half dozen or so wins if you're lucky. Despite a couple of relegations Fulham's supporters have enjoyed 2 promotions in the same period that Brighton fans have had to endure constant struggles so even though they will be downhearted now they've had far more to be happy about in recent years.

Of course I wouldn't want to get relegated but I enjoy watching Brighton win rather more than lose.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

As odd as it may sound perhaps I would.

Brighton were on the brink of the PL for a number of years which meant a period of watching them win more often than lose with something to play for. Now it is just year after year of watching them lose on a regular basis. Despite how wonderful the PL is supposed to be it's not when you know it will just be a survival battle with a half dozen or so wins if you're lucky. Despite a couple of relegations Fulham's supporters have enjoyed 2 promotions in the same period that Brighton fans have had to endure constant struggles so even though they will be downhearted now they've had far more to be happy about in recent years.

Of course I wouldn't want to get relegated but I enjoy watching Brighton win rather more than lose.

I know all about it and worse.

My home town team is Southend United and just look at their history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southend_United_F.C._seasons

As you can see, they've virtually spent their entire time, shuttling back and forth between the 3rd & 4th level of competition (whatever it's title). They had occasional sorties into the 2nd level, 4 seasons in the 1990s and once in 2006/7.

Now they have lost their place in League 2, so off to oblivion!

One brief moment of glory!

however the highlight of the Shrimpers season came when Eastwood scored the only goal, a spectacular 30-yard free kick in front of the away fans in the North Stand, during the Football League Cup fourth round win against Manchester United on 7 November 2006 to put the holders out of the competition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I know all about it and worse.

My home town team is Southend United and just look at their history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southend_United_F.C._seasons

As you can see, they've virtually spent their entire time, shuttling back and forth between the 3rd & 4th level of competition (whatever it's title). They had occasional sorties into the 2nd level, 4 seasons in the 1990s and once in 2006/7.

Now they have lost their place in League 2, so off to oblivion!

One brief moment of glory!

however the highlight of the Shrimpers season came when Eastwood scored the only goal, a spectacular 30-yard free kick in front of the away fans in the North Stand, during the Football League Cup fourth round win against Manchester United on 7 November 2006 to put the holders out of the competition.

i realy do feel for you there but for the grace of god go ourselves  (oldham) into the abyss of the national leagues .things at ice station zebra our 125th year and things  are no better year three of the five year plan goes by with no sign of it starting to show any  progress oh sorry we did progress we didnt finnish 17th instead we finnished 18th some progress the figures are pretty grim reading 

managers     2

w   d    l       f     a  

home      6    2  15    31   42

away       9     7    7    41   39 

pts 54 position 18th 

then we have the season ticket sales one month early bird discount sales  at £219  produced a massive!take up of 600 adult sales out of a total of 800 to contrast that we had sold 1700 of the eventual 3000+ in the same period last year . i realy fear the clubs ability to survive the close season with out the income from season ticket sales .

with even the most ardent happy clappers and apolagists starting to turn on the owners it could be a very volatile atmosphere if the club doesent get off to a good start in the first few home games 

rather galling when today is the 30th aniversary of our promotion to the then division one and clinching the title with an extra time penalty least i have those happy memories .

Edited by peanuts
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, cary hill said:

Even if we don't win another game this season I still think getting  one more point than last season, staying in top four for so long and reaching an F.A. Cup Final for the first time in 52 years counts as a good season on the whole, especially considering that the squad has been ravaged by injuries ever since the season began.

Well you've just beaten United in their back yard and with it gone along way to qualify for the CL. Now you can concentrate on trying to win the FA cup for the first time, it's about time a Midlands team won it again.;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Well you've just beaten United in their back yard and with it gone along way to qualify for the CL. Now you can concentrate on trying to win the FA cup for the first time, it's about time a Midlands team won it again.;)

Leicester can still miss out on a CL place.

They’ve only got 2 games left, Chelsea away and Spurs at home.

If they don’t get at least one point from those 2 games, there’s a very good chance that Liverpool will nick their CL spot.

Liverpool are 9 points behind Leicester, with 4 games left.

They play Utd at OT on Thursday evening ( the reason why Utd fielded a very under strength team of youngsters and 2nd string players against Leicester tonight).

Even if Liverpool lose that match, their remaining 3 fixtures are WBA, Burnley and Palace.

If West Ham win their last 3 games (which I doubt) and Leicester lose their last 2 games, again Leicester are out of the top 4 and a CL place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, the Champions League final (with two English teams) has been moved to Porto.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57071221

Apparently the Government would not allow the various sponsors, Uefa officials, media and assorted hangers on an exemption from the quarantine rules. So it went somewhere who would allow the exemption. I suppose it means the fans can attend at least...

"To deprive supporters of the chance to see the match in person was not an option and I am delighted that this compromise has been found," said Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin.

But it still means both teams and fans have to travel out to Portugal whilst the pandemic is still going on, because football really is for the fans...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It is annoying that it has been moved to Portugal rather than Wembley but I can understand the government saying no to UEFA's demands that their 2000 essential staff, VIP's etc be given exemption from quarantine rules. Just how many hangers on does UEFA have?

• Agree 2

At the moment Portugal isn't open to us, only we have said we can go there, they haven't said we can come as yet, so it will be interesting to see if they do open the border. 

• Agree 1

Don't blame the gov  at all. It seems a real kick in the teeth to the fans, that's how they are re-payed for standing up for football and helping stop the ESL. All because UEFA  don't want the  officials, dignitaries and hangers on to have to quarantine! 

I've heard that fans have to travel through their clubs on chartered flights, stay in a bubble and be away no more that 24 hrs later, will that apply to the great and the good at UEFA! 

Thanks fans! 

• Like 3

So the Man City and Chelsea supporters have to fly in, go into a bubble and then fly home again all on the same day. That's 12,000 supporters. Just how many planes are there just sitting around? Boy are the Portugese air traffic controllers going to be busy!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gareth Collier said:

So the Man City and Chelsea supporters have to fly in, go into a bubble and then fly home again all on the same day. That's 12,000 supporters. Just how many planes are there just sitting around? Boy are the Portugese air traffic controllers going to be busy!

You seem to be forgetting that the match is being played in Portugal for the benefit of FIFA and it's thousands of hangers on, where do supporters come into the equation?

Mike.

• Agree 4

Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

You seem to be forgetting that the match is being played in Portugal for the benefit of FIFA and it's thousands of hangers on, where do supporters come into the equation?

As I mentioned a few posts up ;) 

Nevertheless, whatever UEFA's priorities are how are 12,000 people supposed to fly to Portugal and back in a day logisiticaly. Ultimately in the current climate it should be getting played here but that is down to UEFA's ridiculous demands of the government. I guess Portugal's government is going for prestige over medical sense as I believe they have just said they are going to delay Mondays loosening of things to the end of the month but are happy to accommodate the final, 12,000 overseas supporters and 2000 hangers on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well that's Leicester City's F.A. Cup Final bogey finally put to rest. Rubbish game apart from the winning goal but I don't care. A big thank you to Schmeichel's strong hand and that Nice Mr. VAR too.

Edited by cary hill
sense
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Leicester sporting capital of Europe and the world...............Mark Selby..............Leicester City..................................Leicester Tigers might win a European Cup next week.........................do we have a cricket team these days..........................................lol

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Leicester sporting capital of Europe

.... yes, you’ve come a long way since Keith Weller’s tights.

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 11/05/2021 at 20:08, peanuts said:

i realy do feel for you there but for the grace of god go ourselves  (oldham) into the abyss of the national leagues .things at ice station zebra our 125th year and things  are no better year three of the five year plan goes by with no sign of it starting to show any  progress oh sorry we did progress we didnt finnish 17th instead we finnished 18th some progress the figures are pretty grim reading 

managers     2

w   d    l       f     a  

home      6    2  15    31   42

away       9     7    7    41   39 

pts 54 position 18th 

then we have the season ticket sales one month early bird discount sales  at £219  produced a massive!take up of 600 adult sales out of a total of 800 to contrast that we had sold 1700 of the eventual 3000+ in the same period last year . i realy fear the clubs ability to survive the close season with out the income from season ticket sales .

with even the most ardent happy clappers and apolagists starting to turn on the owners it could be a very volatile atmosphere if the club doesent get off to a good start in the first few home games 

rather galling when today is the 30th aniversary of our promotion to the then division one and clinching the title with an extra time penalty least i have those happy memories .

Love it if my club was in the National League!. Latics would meet a lot of old friends there, TBH

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 62613 said:

Love it if my club was in the National League!. Latics would meet a lot of old friends there, TBH

Saddly bro I dont think we would relegation out of the football league would also lead to administration thanks to the way the club has been run and financed of late remember the club no longer owns the stadium just rents three sides from the previous owners the other the brand new stand is still closed  on match days . Current asking price is apparently £6-8million nobody is going to give the clowns that much for what is in effect a badge and 22 very poor quality player contracts .in comparison Wigan with a modern stadium training facilities a league higher  and a recent record of success went for £3.5 million .I fear another Bury or macc for us whilst these clowns remain 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I watched some of that Liverpool game as I have a very hardcore Liverpool fan in the house. I think his cheering could have been heard half way up the street.

You don't have to be a Liverpool fan to enjoy a moment like that last gasp goal.

What a shame that the place wasn't full of fans. It would have got a bit crazy.

When your last chance of any success for a season rests on something extraordinary happening and it happens in true fairytale fashion, it is a great reminder of what sport can be.

It was a very special moment.

• Like 1