The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

On 02/05/2021 at 18:25, jonny777 said:

Presumably the Premier League will dole out some punishment to the club? Maybe a points deduction? 

In May 2015 Blackpool fans protesting about the Oyston owners of the club invaded the pitch just after half time in the game against Huddersfield. The match was abandoned with the score 0 - 0 and points awarded in line with that score. There was no attempt to replay the game. Blackpool were further fined £50,000 by the FA and warned about future repeats of this unacceptable behaviour. At the time £50,000 was a big sum to Blackpool, obviously a slap on a finger for Man U. 

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ohmisterporter said:

In May 2015 Blackpool fans protesting about the Oyston owners of the club invaded the pitch just after half time in the game against Huddersfield. The match was abandoned with the score 0 - 0 and points awarded in line with that score. There was no attempt to replay the game. Blackpool were further fined £50,000 by the FA and warned about future repeats of this unacceptable behaviour. At the time £50,000 was a big sum the Blackpool, obviously a slap on a finger for Man U. 

The Premier League wouldn't dare do a pro-rata to United. They still can't deal with Fergie Time!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Bad luck!

:)

It'll be interesting to see the warm-up game this weekend! Last season I'd have welcomed them but in that last match Tuchel seemed to have the edge, hopefully Pep won't try to outthink him, when the players are allowed to play their normal game they can do it, as proved against PSG...

Yet another all England final as well... I can see sanctions coming...

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

With three Leicester City "rejects":lol: likely to feature in the ECL Final I'm not sure which team to "support".

Mahrez and Kante both seem to be "on fire" at the moment and are reminding me of their exploits for Leicester City in the 2015/16 season.

All in all it speaks well of Leicester's scouting, recruitment and development policies as Kante and Mahrez cost just over £6M for the pair of them and Chilwell nothing. The really pleasing thing is that not only have we banked some large transfer fees but we have managed to replace them with the likes of Ndidi, Maddison and Castagne for "sensible" fees.

Edited by cary hill
omission
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

Given that two English clubs are in the Champions League Final, and that no fans will be in the ground in Istanbul anyway, the logical thing would be to move the Final to the UK. So there's no chance whatsoever of that happening. 

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, cary hill said:

....Mahrez and Kante both seem to be "on fire" at the moment .....

Out of the two semi-final 2nd legs this week, Kante was the stand out player for me.

He's even added another dimension to his game, by making strong, pacy forward attacking runs.

In the Europa, Arsenal failed to get to the final.

So it's 3 EPL teams out 4 in the 2 finals.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, caradoc said:

Given that two English clubs are in the Champions League Final, and that no fans will be in the ground in Istanbul anyway, the logical thing would be to move the Final to the UK. So there's no chance whatsoever of that happening. 

My daughter's Derby supporting other half said that Villa had offered their ground! Don't know if it's true or not though...

EDIT: Seems it is!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12298397/champions-league-aston-villa-to-offer-villa-park-for-manchester-city-v-chelsea-final

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

Considering the Covid mess in Turkey at the moment it would seem a sensible move, especially as they are expecting 8000 fans to travel... But UEFA aren't known for sensible and have an axe to grind with those two teams...

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

Considering the Covid mess in Turkey at the moment it would seem a sensible move, especially as they are expecting 8000 fans to travel... But UEFA aren't known for sensible and have an axe to grind with those two teams...

Turkey confirmed on the red travel list... Over to you, UEFA... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.... given that it was, arguably, English fans, and those two clubs initially, who saved UEFA’s money stream it’s the least they could do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

@cary hill Looks like we're going to blow it, again!!!!! Just don't know why we can't get over the line as far as Champions League places are concerned.

Also we seem to lose a crucial player just before an important game, i.e. Evans for FA Cup!!!!

On another note, just heard on the news that UEFA are open to moving the CL Final from Istanbul to Wembley, but need some guarantees from the Government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57051804

Cheers

Neal.

Edited by Calnefoxile
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SHMD said:

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the "Things that make you smile" thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57060511

:)

Kev.

Good signing Kev, I was gutted at the start of the season he was linked with Spurs but they didn't follow it up, prob wouldn't pay his wages. 

Quality player that will always get you a goal, I think Ole is using him wisely too. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Good signing Kev, I was gutted at the start of the season he was linked with Spurs but they didn't follow it up, prob wouldn't pay his wages. 

Quality player that will always get you a goal, I think Ole is using him wisely too. 

It reminds me of the Larsson's brief spell here but Cavani is for much longer.

Kev.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Calnefoxile said:

@cary hill Looks like we're going to blow it, again!!!!! Just don't know why we can't get over the line as far as Champions League places are concerned.

Also we seem to lose a crucial player just before an important game, i.e. Evans for FA Cup!!!!

Cheers

Neal.

Even if we don't win another game this season I still think getting  one more point than last season, staying in top four for so long and reaching an F.A. Cup Final for the first time in 52 years counts as a good season on the whole, especially considering that the squad has been ravaged by injuries ever since the season began.

I was just looking at first team appearances this season - I think we have played 49 or 50 games this season and only 2 "first pick" players have played more than 40 games and most of the other first team regulars have played around 30 games or so.

Justin, Barnes ,Fofana, Soyuncu, Maddison, Pereira, Ndidi and Castagne have all missed a dozen or more games because of injury this season.

Sometimes you just have to accept that you don't have the same resources as the "Big Boys" or we  wouldn't have to play Vardy, Maddison and Pereira when none of them is match fit.

On balance I think I prefer this Leicester team, which is at least challenging for the Top Six, to the mediocre or poor teams of previous decades when not being relegated was considered a successful season.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Brighton's tactical approach to each season has proved successful again. "Fingers crossed there are 3 teams worse than us..."

If it works, stick to it! 3 teams have FAILED to follow that advice - be grateful.

Fulham have become the experts in bouncing, do you want to like them?

• Like 1