The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Or that "Chinese" bloke that Man City and Derby had Lee Won Pen.  :jester:

I saw that Derby-Leeds game live. I thought Lee was completely justified in what he did. It doesn’t really show in that video, but Hunter had split his lip, either with his fist or shoulder. Lee was going off reasonably quietly till he put his hand to his face and realized just how bad it was. There was also a lot more, some of it quite funny, that happened around the sending off involving players other than Lee and Hunter which isn’t on that video.

• Like 1

Norman Hunter was nothing but a thug but Francis Lee also worked on a very short fuse. The build up to Sunday's Man Utd v Leeds game centred on when the game was so different with games in the 60's and 70's. The teams would end up at 5 a side before half time now !!!!  but it would have been called off long before that. Depends if you like the sanitised version of football that we are served up now or the physical contact game that some of us remember. Anyway, 6-2 against a defensively poor team is not to be sniffed at. 

Cor, those were the days.....

Surprised by no VAR at Carabao Cup games as Man City’s goal against Arsenal last night was clearly offside. Felt sorry for their goalkeeper who clearly had butter fingers. 

I must be going soft in my old age, feeling sorry for Arsenal.......:D

Let’s see what excuses we can come up with against Stoke tonight....;)

Edited by gordon s

4 hours ago, peanuts said:

wasnt sure to put this in here or the old car thread 

133288562_10225234227501813_6164514080132504115_n.jpg

10/10 for accuracy. Right car for the registration and first registered in 1961........I must get out more.....:D

I wonder what tonight holds in store......

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's tight premier league this year, only 7 points from from top spot to mid table - and we are almost half way through the season!

Kev.

image.png.e024453b72decb18117690047dcc6821.png

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Most unusual to see Everton bobbing about in the top three at this time of year! A pity that this evening's game was cancelled due to Covid, if they'd beaten Man UC, they'd have been top!

Odd times...  :scratchhead:

I got confused by those pesky Manc teams...  Even so, if they had won (more likely against Man C) they would have , no doubt briefly, been top!

Edited by Hroth
error corrected

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Most unusual to see Everton bobbing about in the top three at this time of year! A pity that this evening's game was cancelled due to Covid, if they'd beaten Man U, they'd have been top!

Odd times...  :scratchhead:

No chance whatsoever of that happening.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be an awful lot of ‘Match postponed - other’  on the BBC results pages tonight.

Does the panel think that this season can be finished and if not at what point can titles be awarded and relegation/promotion take place?

• Agree 1

Oxford United have now had matches postponed on five separate occasions, involving four other clubs (one meeting was postponed twice); every single postponement was the opposition's fault. We have since played two of the postponed matches........ and lost them both ! Unfortunately a system of forfeit with a win awarded to the the innocent party was not agreed pre-season. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BoD said:

There seems to be an awful lot of ‘Match postponed - other’  on the BBC results pages tonight.

Does the panel think that this season can be finished and if not at what point can titles be awarded and relegation/promotion take place?

In answer to the question I suspect the season will become increasingly shambolic. The top division (or two) might complete things, but lower down I see no end of problems. Premiership teams will have a massive fixture pile-up, especially those in Europe/cups. In League 1 and 2 fixtures when they are played might become increasingly one sided if one team or the other is more affected. We might well find one or more team runs out of money and fails to complete the season anyway. Whatever happens the season will be completely devalued in my eyes.

At National League level and below how will players with a full time job manage to travel and play Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday etc to catch up if and when they can? Its not going to happen is it?

Unfortunately I never previously went into print but did have an idea months ago.

Back in the spring when the 2019/20 season was suspended I felt it could still be completed once the infection rates had been reduced over the summer. Games could have restarted late summer and the fixtures played to a conclusion by the end of 2020. 

I felt it was inevitable that until a vaccine was available infection rates would increase over autumn/winter and the 2020/21 season would be heavily compromised. The FA, Prem.  and Football League should have seen this was bound to happen.

My plan was for a shortened 2020/21 season to start late when it was safe. Either a reduced fixture list playing each other team once, perhaps even play Leagues 1 and 2 regionally north/south to reduce travel costs.

You can see I have had far too much time to think about this!

cheers 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

18 hours ago, BoD said:

With the way Brighton are playing I'll quite happily cancel the season now and use current positions for promotion, relegation etc ;)

• Funny 1

18 hours ago, BoD said:

We finished it last season in far worse circumstances. In that nobody knew what was happening and we didn't even have tests, that's why more games are being postponed due to the wider availability of tests. With a jab on the horizon then it's far more likely to finish.

Some of us can even have fans in at the moment. I'm very optimistic the season can be finished. Maybe not if you are right at the bottom of the pyramid though. Everything down to the National League North and South should be played even if it goes into the summer. 

Personally I would rather finish the season than start the next.

If they do cancel the lower leagues then the top clubs should get their money back as that money was given so they could play their games without going bust. 

However. Would you really want the title if the season isn't finished? I wouldn't. Look at Celtic with all the asterisk jokes.

I have a sneaky feeling the Euros will be cancelled though.

Jason

• Agree 1

All set to watch Spurs tonight, but another game postponed. 18 of Fulham staff gone down with Covid.....

18 from one club.....:swoon:

That is scary.....

At least I have the darts to watch and that really has been amazing. Wade with a 9 darter and loses and last night Joe Cullen had 19 180’s and should have put out MVG. 

Real Champions never know when they are beat and dig deep to win. The underdogs are usually frightened of what they are about to do and drop off a few yards from victory.

Edited by gordon s

With virtually the whole country now in tier 3 or tier 4 presumably almost all games 

will now be played behind closed doors again for the next few weeks.

Philosophical question. If a goal is scored, and nobody cheers, does it still count?

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

With virtually the whole country now in tier 3 or tier 4 presumably almost all games 

will now be played behind closed doors again for the next few weeks.

Philosophical question. If a goal is scored, an nobody cheers, does it still count?

cheers

..not since VAR..

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

I'll assume that my team, Maidstone United, will be playing Saturday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday once they actually get to play league games once again

You've missed out Sunday/Monday/Wednesday/Friday, in 2026 when normal football resumes there will be a hell of a lot of catching up to do!

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
On 27/12/2020 at 18:05, Ohmisterporter said:

The Highland League has finally got underway and business as usual for Fort William. Played one lost one, goals against ten, goals for nil. However, they won't be playing league leaders Brora Rangers every game.

At least they're not bottom now, second placed Fraserburgh having knocked 13 past Turriff United this afternoon.  Fort William are due to play Turriff in March.

DT