The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

I note that Fort William are having a much better season, having managed to win three league games so far.   They've accumulated 10 points, which is 17 more than last season.  They do nevertheless still languish at the foot of the table but have nine games in hand over Lossiemouth, three points ahead of them.  Not sure how they'll manage to fit all these nine games in....

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am wondering how the coronovirus precautions will affect football. With most of the teams in the lower leagues reliant on the income from matches how are they going to cope with having to play games, half of them being away from home, with little income generated? If the current outbreak is not contained soon  I wonder if the time will come when the season will be abandoned. 

15 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

I am wondering how the coronovirus precautions will affect football. With most of the teams in the lower leagues reliant on the income from matches how are they going to cope with having to play games, half of them being away from home, with little income generated? If the current outbreak is not contained soon  I wonder if the time will come when the season will be abandoned. 

Pretty soon?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867989

Sorry, luv, footie’s off...

On 13/03/2020 at 17:22, Gareth Collier said:

Can you imagine the scenes if the season had to be cancelled and Liverpool don't get to win the title!

Of course that would also mean Brighton could avoid relegation ;)

If the play-offs have to be cancelled too, instead of just the top two, the top three in League One would be promoted automatically to the Championship. I think that's a great idea ! (Guess where my team is currently in League One ?!!)

On 13/03/2020 at 17:22, Gareth Collier said:

Can you imagine the scenes if the season had to be cancelled and Liverpool don't get to win the title!

Yes, the Premier League clubs would balk at the idea they had to pay back all the cost of the tickets they had sold to fans for games which had been declared void. 

The Premier League clubs would balk at the idea of giving back TV revenue for those void games which had been shown live, or as highlights. 

Never going to happen. 

28 minutes ago, caradoc said:

If the play-offs have to be cancelled too, instead of just the top two, the top three in League One would be promoted automatically to the Championship. I think that's a great idea ! (Guess where my team is currently in League One ?!!)

You support Airdrie, then?

• Funny 1

Apparently, the FA and Premiership bosses have called a meeting with clubs for Thursday (presumably by some form of video link rather than face to face). 

Any comments made in the media until after the meeting will therefore be pure speculation. 

• RMweb Premium

The shutting down of football is potentially going to make things particularly difficult for Scottish clubs.  At present, Scottish Premiership clubs earn a greater percentage of their income from ticket sales than any other top league in Europe - 43% compared to a European average of 15% and an EPL figure of 13%.  Without any gate receipts, but still with players wages and other overheads to meet, I'm not at all sure how some clubs will survive, particularly as the SFA has said that it's skint and can't afford to help.

DT

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

With European Nations Cup postponed to 2021, I think we now have a realistic chance of completing this year's domestic competitions and the Champions League/Europa League.

Might need next season to start a bit later and get rid of some of the extra competitions e.g. Carabao for one season to avoid fixture congestion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/07/2018 at 16:57, kevinlms said:

Yes in the 70s, England was full of good goalkeepers, Peter Bonetti barely played for England, because Gordon Banks held the green shirt and rightly so, PB hardly got a look in.

For almost any other national team, he would have been an automatic choice.

It needs recognising that Peter died yesterday - one of my childhood heroes - over 500 appearances for the same club - oh that we could witness similar loyalty and consistence of managerial selection these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bonetti

and that goal wasn't his fault - Sir Alf made an inappropriate substitution and Muller was just an outstanding goal scorer.

Edited by Southernman46

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is that League 2 is finished and there will be no relegation. Sigh of relief from Stevenage no doubt and promotion for Barrow as sole promoted team from National League. Have to see how the other leagues plan to end the season. 

11 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

My understanding is that League 2 is finished and there will be no relegation. Sigh of relief from Stevenage no doubt and promotion for Barrow as sole promoted team from National League. Have to see how the other leagues plan to end the season. 

Yes, I would hope that Barrow did receive their reward, as there is a vacancy anyway, thanks to the demise of Bury.