The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

2 hours ago, Torper said:

But that surely shows that The Fort are improving!

As for the standard in Scottish League 2, it's difficult assessing it because clubs there seldom play against English sides.  I think that once you get to the lower reaches of football you tend to find that players are much of a muchness, with a few stars standing out who are rapidly snapped up by bigger clubs.  I do note that in this season's Irn Bru Cup, Sutton United of the Conference Premier beat Scottish League One side Airdrie 1-0 before going out on penalties to League of Ireland Premier side Bohemians, while Boreham Wood, also of the Conference Premier, lost on penalties against Dunfermline of the Scottish Championship.  The only occasion on which I can remember Forfar playing against an English side was in july 2010 when they lost 3-2 against Everton (to be fair, it was an "Everton XI")

DT

Very true... you never know they may even get a win before the end of the season given that improvement! 

I agree about the difficulty in comparing relative standards and to be honest, even though I mentioned it, I don't really see there being much benefit in doing so. The problem that smaller leagues have is the relative spread of standards which means that the better teams can have the odd off day and still win. Improving quality and standards only really happens with increased exposure to playing better teams on a more regular basis. It is that consistency and the relatively level playing field that makes leagues such as the Championship so fascinating!

Speaking of Bohemians, I had read a few articles recently saying that the standard in the League of Ireland has declined in recent years. There are some fine old clubs in Dublin - such as Bohemians, Shelbourne, Shamrock Rovers and St Patrick's Athletic - but in recent times the league has been dominated by Dundalk, with Cork City on their tail. As with Scotland, regular exposure to playing better teams can increase quality. I know Irish sides have had the odd successful dalliance with European competition over the years but it's more relatively rare recently. 

As a fan of a National League club, I have followed the Irn Bru Cup. I think it is a really novel and interesting concept to invite teams from the rest of the UK and Ireland and hope the experiment continues. I wonder if it something that could work on a reciprocal basis with the Football League Trophy? Certainly it will be better than PL under-23 teams playing in it in my humble opinion. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NorthBrit said:

I do not know if it has been mentioned before, but have you seen the teams competing in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Scottish_Challenge_Cup ?

Eight teams are not from Scotland.

That is totally bizarre, but good luck to all those who want to have a go and to the sponsors for allowing it.

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

That is totally bizarre, but good luck to all those who want to have a go and to the sponsors for allowing it.

iirc scotish clubs used to play in the FA cup in fact didnt queens park  make the final on twp occasions 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, peanuts said:

iirc scotish clubs used to play in the FA cup in fact didnt queens park  make the final on twp occasions 

Yes. English teams also played in, and won, the Welsh Cup too (and obviously vice-versa)

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Brian Hawkins said:

A great day out at Wembley ( Pompey's second home ) yesterday, fantastic atmosphere before, during and after the match PLAY UP POMPEY POMPEY PLAY UP. 

If Sunderland had to lose there is no one I'd rather lose to than Portsmouth.  Fantastic set of supporters.

just don't try and repeat it if we meet in the play offs, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More worrying noises coming out of Bolton this morning. In a worrying parallel, our players have threatened to go on strike due to unpaid wages and the shambolic ownership of the club. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

More worrying noises coming out of Bolton this morning. In a worrying parallel, our players have threatened to go on strike due to unpaid wages and the shambolic ownership of the club. 

Wanderers' HMRC case adjourned to May 8th. That is after the end of the season in the EFL.

David

On 01/04/2019 at 12:02, Torper said:

But that surely shows that The Fort are improving!

As for the standard in Scottish League 2, it's difficult assessing it because clubs there seldom play against English sides.  I think that once you get to the lower reaches of football you tend to find that players are much of a muchness, with a few stars standing out who are rapidly snapped up by bigger clubs.  I do note that in this season's Irn Bru Cup, Sutton United of the Conference Premier beat Scottish League One side Airdrie 1-0 before going out on penalties to League of Ireland Premier side Bohemians, while Boreham Wood, also of the Conference Premier, lost on penalties against Dunfermline of the Scottish Championship.  The only occasion on which I can remember Forfar playing against an English side was in july 2010 when they lost 3-2 against Everton (to be fair, it was an "Everton XI")

DT

Yes losing to Sutton United was a big comedown from the heady days when we played Manchester City, Huddersfield, Derby County and Nottingham Forest in the old Texaco cup, (out of the eight matches, we only lost away to Derby):D

3 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Wanderers' HMRC case adjourned to May 8th. That is after the end of the season in the EFL.

David

But evidently the bloke who is going to buy the club was previously involved with Watford...... he has been declared bankrupt twice and was previously banned for three years from any involvement with football for his conduct. You worry it's a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Big night for Tottenham tonight, the new ground looks magnificent. The thing that seems to have caught the imagination mind is the beer glasses that fill up from the bottom!! :laugh_mini:

Don't all glasses fill from the bottom?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing Spur's new stadium behind the scenes on Sky Sports and I have to say it's a magnificent piece of work. It's a shame their greatest ever striker, Jimmy Greaves, isn't well enough to attend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Spurs new stadium looks like it will be the best of the new club stadiums in London.

Better than the Emirates (one up on Spurs’ fiercest rivals) and far better than West Ham’s poorly suited to football, London Stadium (Olympic).

2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Spurs new stadium looks like it will be the best of the new club stadiums in London.

Better than the Emirates (one up on Spurs’ fiercest rivals) and far better than West Ham’s poorly suited to football, London Stadium (Olympic).

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Seeing Spur's new stadium behind the scenes on Sky Sports and I have to say it's a magnificent piece of work. It's a shame their greatest ever striker, Jimmy Greaves, isn't well enough to attend.

It looks magnificent and certainly better than the identi-kit stadiums that were built in 1990s and 2000s in the first phase of widespread new ground developments. 

Just listened to the build-up on the radio and the atmosphere sounds amazing. 

1 hour ago, Torper said:

Presumably it won't work with real ale, only the gassified stuff.

In theory it could, but it would be a bit cloudy! Having said that I like my bottle conditioned beer to have some "bits" in the glass when i pour it or I'm not convinced it's bottle conditioned!

(Also cloudy (not "real") cider is all the rage at the mo' so they might get away with it!)

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

What happened to MoTD last night? All I got when I taped it was some stupid BBC3 prog about makeup artists!

I was hoping for a midweek MOTD too but to no avail! Did you pick up some good tips for touching up your face paint though Hobby!?! :laugh_mini: 

Ridiculous chat this morning criticising the Man City fans for not selling out their allocation for Wembley at the weekend and not filling their ground last night. They've got three games in London in eight days!! The cost will be astronomical. Tickets for the semi-final are evidently at least £80 for adults and £70 for kids. Add in the travel costs from Manchester, buying food and drink at the inflated Wembley costs and it becomes an epic day out. Potentially £400+ for parents and a couple of kids. Getting back from Euston on the train will also be difficult (and expensive). Ridiculous kick-off times to suit TV do not help fans who want to attend. In my opinion the FA Cup semi-finals shouldn't be at Wembley but at an alternative neutral ground. I know Brighton fans have to travel too mind and just because of geography that particular match doesn't really offer many options for a ground midway between but I still don't think they should be at Wembley. Sometimes I have limited sympathy for fans of Premier League clubs, some of whom occasionally act as though there is no life outside the big boys money club, but in this case I really feel that fans are getting a raw deal. Sorry, rant over...........

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

Need more than make-up! ;)

Cheapest tickets for Wembley are £65/55, coach from Manchester £20/10 (subsidised) price. So for two adults/two kids £300 just for starters.... To be fair I suspect even on the old method of "half way between clubs" they'd have probably gone for somewhere in London... Whole thing is well outside my price range these days, even Stock Cars are a luxury, I prefer to spend money on my model railway! ;)