The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

The list of clubs in trouble at the moment goes on and on...... Blackpool, Bolton, Charlton, Coventry, Notts County to name but a few in the Football League. 

Really sorry times at my own club. I am sure it won't have had much national media exposure but I am really fearful for the future :sorry: If anyone is interested in reading about another shambles... https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/field-success-field-struggles-gateshead-15923014

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 8 March 2019 at 10:55, south_tyne said:

The list of clubs in trouble at the moment goes on and on...... Blackpool, Bolton, Charlton, Coventry, Notts County to name but a few in the Football League. 

Really sorry times at my own club. I am sure it won't have had much national media exposure but I am really fearful for the future :sorry: If anyone is interested in reading about another shambles... https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/field-success-field-struggles-gateshead-15923014

I see the owner has now put it up for sale for £1

Fancy going halfies?

• Funny 1

Great to see Jamie Vardy score his 100th and 101st goals in a Leicester shirt this afternoon and confirm that he has fully escaped from the purgatory that the Puelboreball  system had consigned him to. He was also unselfish enough to pass up one clear opening to play Tielemans in for his goal and had more touches today than he would have had in a month of Puelboreball.

I didn't realise until today that Vardy is the 4th highest aggregate goalscorer in the Premiership since the start of the  2014-15 season to date behind Harry Kane, Sergio Aguerro  and Romelu Lukaku. Not a bad achievement, considering he has to feed on a fairly limited number of chances to score compared to the other three.

Rodgers still needs to work on the defence though as another soft goal was conceded to a very poor Fulham side.

22 hours ago, BoD said:

I see the owner has now put it up for sale for £1

Fancy going halfies?

I should warn you, you won't get much for your 50p..... :fool: We don't own our ground or training ground or anything else really. So the only tangible asset is the playing and coaching staff, who are all on one-year contracts until the end of the season. Puts a 'professional' football club into perspective! Saying that, we've gone bust a number of times over the last hundred years, and a very chequered history, so we have got a track record!! :jester: What sane person would own a football club!!

So what's led to three incidents (at least) this weekend where idiots have jumped on to the pitch and tried to remonstrate with players?

What I find equally staggering is that the news media refer to these clots as "fans".

7 hours ago, EddieB said:

So what's led to three incidents (at least) this weekend where idiots have jumped on to the pitch and tried to remonstrate with players?

What I find equally staggering is that the news media refer to these clots as "fans".

It's so sad and worrying. The game seems to be going backwards after years of progress with regard to violence, racism, homophobic, sexist and sectarian abuse. On the surface we seemed to be making great strides in eradicating them from the game but maybe these issues have been bubbling below the surface all along and have sadly started to come to the fore again.  

You're right - these morons are certainly not fans. They are idiots who seem determined to rewind the clock to the bad old days of the '70s and '80s. Unfortunately, I think it is a reflection of wider worrying trends in UK society, which is becoming increasingly polarised and angry. 

Overall, a bad weekend for British football... 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

You're right - these morons are certainly not fans.

I'm sure they'd disagree with you there... 

The odd fan on the pitch is inevitable, unlucky to get three on one day... However i was watching that documentary on City recently and if you think those incidents over the weekend were bad I'd suggest they paled into insignificance compared with what the Liverpool "fans" did to the Man City coach when it arrived at Anfield for the first leg of the Champions League last season. Some of the contorted faces you could see were horrifying, not to mention throwing stuff at the coach.

Then there's been loads of reports of fathers getting "involved" when their kids have been playing in local games, and they aren't recent, that's been going on for decades.

Let's face it we encourage a sport that is based on intense rivalry between large groups of people and then honestly expect them all to behave themselves?! Just look back in this thread there are plenty of examples of similar behaviour but in written form rather than physical form which is just dismissed as "banter"...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

Let's face it we encourage a sport that is based on intense rivalry between large groups of people and then honestly expect them all to behave themselves?! Just look back in this thread there are plenty of examples of similar behaviour but in written form rather than physical form which is just dismissed as "banter"...

All very true, but it is just sad. There is nothing wrong with a bit of friendly rivalry but football has become increase hate-filled and vitriolic. There is a mistaken belief that hatred for the opposition and closest rivals is 'passion'... it's not, it's just aggresive and mindless behaviour. There is an extremely fine line between banter and what is really abuse and bullying. 

Football has taken great strides to make grounds a more friendly and welcoming place for all in society, irrespective of gender, age or ethnic background etc. but recent scenes are worrying. I was listening to the radio last week and someone was championinga change in the law to allow suporters to drink alcohol on the terraces. It is a no go. With scenes like this weekend is it any wonder that some folk cannot be "trusted" or really treated as adults in this regard. It isn't a case of kids or teenagers being the main protagonists either - it often seems to be middle-aged blokes who should know an awful lot better. There seems to be a bizarre need for some to re-live their lost youth of the dark days of the '70s and '80s. Very sad. 

I love my football. I love my club. I enjoy friendly, light-hearted ribbing with our local rivals - Blyth Spartans and Hartlepool - but at the end of the day this is only a game. The moment it tips over to abuse, hatred and nastiness then it has gone too far. There will be those who say it is all part of the game, but it shouldn't be. 

As always, the actions of a few mindless individuals spoil the enjoyment for the rest of us. Unfortunately there has to be a comeback on the clubs involved as well as the individuals. That is the only way to clamp down on it. I agree with Alan Shearer's comments on MOTD2 last night - the most severe punishments must be doled out to the individuals but also to the clubs involved. Whether that is having to play behind closed doors, stopping away fans attending for a spell, fines or even points deductions is up for debate. I don't know the answer but thankfully, Birmingham City have very quickly come out and condemned the behaviour as totally unacceptable. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

I was listening to the radio last week and someone was championinga change in the law to allow suporters to drink alcohol on the terraces. It is a no go. With scenes like this weekend is it any wonder that some folk cannot be "trusted" or really treated as adults in this regard. It isn't a case of kids or teenagers being the main protagonists either - it often seems to be middle-aged blokes who should know an awful lot better.

As opposed to necking as much as possible in the pub before the match... I suppose having it on sale in the ground might encourage more moderate drinking beforehand and during... I'm not convinced, though...

That bloke who attacked the Villa player was 27, hardly middle aged! I know of another from a few years ago and he wasn't 30 when it happened either... I suspect most are in the 20 to 50 range and in the main, male...

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

As opposed to necking as much as possible in the pub before the match... I suppose having it on sale in the ground might encourage more moderate drinking beforehand and during... I'm not convinced, though...

That bloke who attacked the Villa player was 27, hardly middle aged! I know of another from a few years ago and he wasn't 30 when it happened either... I suspect most are in the 20 to 50 range and in the main, male...

I agree and I don't know what the answer is. A dinnertime kick-off is an attempt to limit drinking time beforehand but clearly it doesn't work, people just get tanked up from as early as possible on the day and can still be an absolute mass by kick-off. I never understand it any case - what's the point of getting so drunk that you can't enjoy the game or remember any of it! You see it all the time, lads getting so mullered and then sleeping through the match. Ultimately though, excessive drinking is a societal problem, not just a football one. Although it does seem to manifest itself more prominently in the game. 

Heavy handed policing or stewarding definitely isn't the answer. We don't want to go back to treating supporters like animals in a zoo. To tarnish all football fans as hooligans, and punish them accordingly, was Thatcher's blanket policy and is simply wrong.

Sorry, maybe middle aged was wrong, but I think my general point was that generally they aren't kids. 

Hundreds of thousands of people attended football matches over the weekend, peacefully and in good humour, but unfortunately three idiots have grabbed all the headlines. There were some cracking matches but this moronic behaviour has overshadowed that (and rightly so because it needs to be tackled and dealt with).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I was listening to the radio last week and someone was championinga change in the law to allow suporters to drink alcohol on the terraces. It is a no go.

There will be those who say it is all part of the game, but it shouldn't be. 

I don't know if you have been watching the 6 Nations Rugby. No segregation of fans and plenty of beer on the terraces. And no trouble.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't know if you have been watching the 6 Nations Rugby. No segregation of fans and plenty of beer on the terraces. And no trouble.

I know. I don't follow rugby union but I presume it is the same in the club game too? 

Mind I am a massive rugby league fan and it works fine there too. The Challenge Cup final is a wonderful day when the whole rugby league family comes together to celebrate the sport and share together,  regardless of whether you team is in the final. We have been very lucky to host the Magic Weekend up in Newcastle for the last few years and that is a fantastic occasion to attend. Fans of all clubs mix and mingle together both on the terraces and outside the ground and join together for an amazing weekend. 

Sadly, mixing supporters and drinking on the terraces would just be an absolute recipe for disaster in football. It is just so tribal - I'm not saying that rugby isn't but there must be a different mindset to enable it to work. 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

I know. I don't follow rugby union but I presume it is the same in the club game too? 

Sadly, mixing supporters and drinking on the terraces would just be an absolute recipe for disaster in football. It is just so tribal - I'm not saying that rugby isn't but there must be a different mindset to enable it to work. 

I can't speak for all rugby union clubs but all the ones that I have been involved in had bars open during the matches.

I think that segregation of fans has been a big factor in encouraging that tribal attitude. Whether that can be turned round now....

I think most sports tend to have bars open during the game/racing or whatever. Footie seems to be one of the few that don't... Wonder what causes it, why are the morons just attracted to football but not the other team sports...

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I think most sports tend to have bars open during the game/racing or whatever. Footie seems to be one of the few that don't... Wonder what causes it, why are the morons just attracted to football but not the other team sports...

Somehow the racecourse industry seems to get away with under-reporting of violence following excess alcohol.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Law of averages. Football is a language spoken throughout the world. It attracts vast numbers of people. Around 150000 attended three Premier League games yesterday. Games such as rugby don't attract anywhere near those numbers. As the number goes up then the chances of attracting a certain number of Darwin Award contenders goes up. And, like many of the players, not all supporters are ladies and gentlemen in the Corinthian tradition. By the way, you could ask Neil Lennon about Alan Shearer and violence in football. Stones and glass houses come to mind.

I really don't see the point of fining clubs or deducting points. Clubs have the number of stewards specified by outside bodies such as the local council (this has come up recently at BWFC)  and they are required to keep to those standards. An alternative would be stewards completely circling the pitch otherwise there will always be gaps. Anyone up for that. If not, how about fences? That didn't work out well, did it? Ban the offender for life and take the appropriate legal measures against them.

Any real violence associated with football is far reduced from its 'halcyon' days of thirty years ago. Luton v Millwall anyone? No need for complacency, just a bit of perspective.

David

Edited by DavidLong

46 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Somehow the racecourse industry seems to get away with under-reporting of violence following excess alcohol.

Perhaps because it doesn't happen at the racecourse but in the local town or on the train home? (I don't know, having never been to (or want to go to) a race meet.)

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how much social media has affected these people.  They can easily direct threatening and abusive posts towards players (and others in the limelight) and probably now believe this is acceptable. Does society now accept that abuse goes with the territory for our 'celebs'?  Frightening though it is, it sometimes appears this way.  For some this has become normal behaviour.  Is it not unsurprising too, that some of these morons, who have normalised abuse, take it that step further to physical abuse too?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gordon s said:

Jailed for 14 weeks. Hardly sending out a message, but I suspect there is a table of maximum sentence v severity of injury.

He’ll probably be out in 10.....

Don't think I'd want to be jailed for 10 or 14 weeks. 

At what point do you want to throw away the keys?

On 08/02/2019 at 18:48, peanuts said:

so the FL commitee have allowed paul scholes to become manager of Oldham and retain his 10% stake in Salford even tho the two clubs could meet next season interesting 

Needn't have bothered.....