The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Anyway as we all know Scotland beat the 1966 World Cup Champions in 1967 , thus becoming unofficial World Cup holders .

Running for cover.............

I remember listening to the commentary of that match on the radio. 

I was gutted.... gutted. 

Given the derogatory and aggressive attitude of the red top press to England managers and players in the past, it is a pleasant change to see a bit more respect and appreciation for once.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Must admit to being a bit overwhelmed by all this talk of things such as 'second round', 'quarter finals', etc.  Maybe it's because I'm from Scotland!

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

Must admit to being a bit overwhelmed by all this talk of things such as 'second round', 'quarter finals', etc.  Maybe it's because I'm from Scotland!

Regards,

Alex.

Goals against Zaire is all I remember of Scots World Cup campaigns.......

• RMweb Premium

Goals against Zaire is all I remember of Scots World Cup campaigns.......

My favourite memory is David Narey's shock opener against Brazil in 1982.  I've forgotten the four that Brazil then put past Alan Rough.....

DT

• RMweb Premium

I see Conte's sacking has finally been announced. Chelsea seem to have handled this in their usual cack-handed way. If Sarri does indeed succeed him, then he has an unenviable task. With the two Manchester clubs strengthening, Arsenal with a new manager and Liverpool looking to build on a good last season, Chelsea have a mountain to climb... particularly if Abramovich does have enough.

In other news, I see Steven Gerrard has started his competitive career at Rangers with a win.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

….Chelsea have a mountain to climb... particularly if Abramovich does have enough...

He'll go wherever he can obtain a long-term visa and invest without too many searching questions about laundering. As he's now an Israeli citizen, I suppose he'll probably want to see if one of their domestic teams is worth a punt. Hapoel Tel Aviv, anyone?

• RMweb Gold

He'll go wherever he can obtain a long-term visa and invest without too many searching questions about laundering. As he's now an Israeli citizen, I suppose he'll probably want to see if one of their domestic teams is worth a punt. Hapoel Tel Aviv, anyone?

Could he not just move northwards in London to achieve the same end result?

Mike.

I see Conte's sacking has finally been announced. Chelsea seem to have handled this in their usual cack-handed way. If Sarri does indeed succeed him, then he has an unenviable task. With the two Manchester clubs strengthening, Arsenal with a new manager and Liverpool looking to build on a good last season, Chelsea have a mountain to climb... particularly if Abramovich does have enough.

In other news, I see Steven Gerrard has started his competitive career at Rangers with a win.

Chelsea's mountain is like Ben Nevis compared with the Everest facing Gerrard.  Rangers fans will expect nothing less than win the treble plus a good run in Europe,  From what I hear the crowd started to get restless already at the performance, don't envy his position.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I suspect any decent run Rangers have in Europe for the next year or two will be pure fluke. It will also take a season or two to even threaten Celtic. Qualifying for Europe next season, a second-place finish in the league and a decent domestic cup run would, for me, be a good season for them. A win or two over Celtic would no doubt help!

Then again, since when has realism ever been in the sphere of football fans (says someone who's definition of a good season for the last few years has been simply not to see his team be relegated again)!

It does seem strange for the board to appoint someone with such limited managerial experience, but maybe those who understand the pressures involved would not have taken the job anyway? 

• Like 1

Hi again,

Must admit to being a bit overwhelmed by all this talk of things such as 'second round', 'quarter finals', etc. Maybe it's because I'm from Scotland!

Regards,

Alex.

I sometimes think that football is God’s little joke on the Scots, an obsession which they aren’t actually very good at. Like golf and the Japanese, a game requiring the wide open spaces which their densely populated, mountainous homeland notably lacks... Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Gold

I sometimes think that football is God’s little joke on the Scots, an obsession which they aren’t actually very good at. Like golf and the Japanese, a game requiring the wide open spaces which their densely populated, mountainous homeland notably lacks...

That's a line from a Depeche Mode song: "I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours but it seems to me God's got a sick sense of humour...."

At least Djokovic vs Nadal saved me the bother of watching the first half.........has Harry Kane been playing the last two or three games wearing lead boots as he has seemed spectacularly slow and immobile....but I assume he must be carrying an injury.