The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

It was only when he was at man city that he started being used in a striker role. At Liverpool he was always a prospect and winger. A greedy impetulant pain in the manager's ear in the end, most likely due to his agent. He has at least grown at city for England's sake.

Forgetting about him scoring goals is the best thing, don't expect them, he is better running at defence and into space to give others room.

Yes, and the commentators also poured scorn on anyone who might have been "just switching on" half way through the second half. Do these media luvvies on six figure salaries not understand that some people do work on Saturday afternoons, and at wage rates that are probably 10% of what they get?  

.....or have their nephew's wedding to attend.

• RMweb Gold

.....or have their nephew's wedding to attend.

Yes, but when the vicar asked if anyone knew of any just and lawful impediment there was no need to shout out that the match had just kicked off.

• Like 1

Back in March, suffering from a severe bout of Russophobia, Theresa May announced that no ministers or members of the Royal Family would be going to the World Cup finals in Russia.  It bseemed a safe thing tio say; at that time no-one appeared to be giving England any hope of doing better than the quarter finals.  As they must now be odds on the get to the final, I wonder if there will be a change of heart from the UK government?  It would seem to me to be a real insult to the England team if they get to the final and the boycott is maintained - whatever the government's political views about Russia may be I think that the achievement of the England team in surpassing expectations in the way that they have should take precedence. (Macron, I note, has decided that after all he will go and watch France).

Actually, better than any minister, let one of the princes go - I'm sure they want to.

Meanwhile the Wiltshire Novichok Poisoner has claimed his/her first fatality.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The

Back in March, suffering from a severe bout of Russophobia, Theresa May announced that no ministers or members of the Royal Family would be going to the World Cup finals in Russia.  It bseemed a safe thing tio say; at that time no-one appeared to be giving England any hope of doing better than the quarter finals.  As they must now be odds on the get to the final, I wonder if there will be a change of heart from the UK government?  It would seem to me to be a real insult to the England team if they get to the final and the boycott is maintained - whatever the government's political views about Russia may be I think that the achievement of the England team in surpassing expectations in the way that they have should take precedence. (Macron, I note, has decided that after all he will go and watch France).

Actually, better than any minister, let one of the princes go - I'm sure they want to.

DT

The team went to Russia knowing the Govt's position. So no insult at all to the team if no officials from Govt or royals at the match.

I'm no supporter of the Govt but their position on this is totally right - and even more so now with the death of a UK citizen from Novichok poisoning.

only Bungle could pick that day to married cant complain about the party venue shame you missed the run chase !

To be fair to him, he couldn't have predicted that, could he. I bet when Heyside had Whalley Range at 18-3, they thought they'd won. Some crazy cricket.

• RMweb Premium

The

The team went to Russia knowing the Govt's position. So no insult at all to the team if no officials from Govt or royals at the match.

I'm no supporter of the Govt but their position on this is totally right - and even more so now with the death of a UK citizen from Novichok poisoning.

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic - you may reach a position but that doesn't mean to say that I have to respect it or think it reasonable.

As for the government's position, it might be right if it was supported by some evidence.  Unfortunately it isn't.  But that's venturing off topic into troublesome political grounds so lets just agree to differ on that.

DT

• RMweb Gold

Also nice to see that FIfa have said the the budding footballers in that cave in Thailand can be at the final if they are well enough to travel.

Meanwhile back at the football-ish

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2018/07/09/private-jet-demand-soars-as-england-fans-club-together-to-travel/

Nice to see plenty of fans digging deep into their pockets to support our lads.

#onceinalifetime

Air Force 1 will be hanging about the UK next weekend, ask Donald if he wouldn't mind letting it go to Moscow while he is playing golf at Turnberry!

With a bout of World Cup fever, I thought I’d watch some of the classic games from previous tournaments.

The second round tie between Brazil and Italy, from Spain 1982, is one of the all-time great games. However, watching from a modern perspective, it is surprising just how little play-acting, rolling around and overall stoppages there were then. Plenty of fouls committed, but most times the player fouled got back to his feet right away, or was pulled up by the opponent who fouled him. It’s amazing how we accept this as part of the modern game.

The modern players are certainly skilful, but put themselves to shame compared to their counterparts back then. Neymar is a disgrace by the measure of previous greats from Brazil.

VAR is starting to make a positive contribution, but I would love to see its use extended to review feigned injuries before the next World Cup comes around. A mandatory booking for players gesturing a card to be shown, and a mandatory booking for a player who goes down touching a body part that hasn’t been touched.

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic - you may reach a position but that doesn't mean to say that I have to respect it or think it reasonable.

As for the government's position, it might be right if it was supported by some evidence.  Unfortunately it isn't.  But that's venturing off topic into troublesome political grounds so lets just agree to differ on that.

DT

No worries. I fully support your right to differ on this.

I think Mrs May's govt. has shown sensible restraint on this. None of us truly understand the details of this case - we don't have the necessary security clearance - but there seems to be no reason to doubt that the Novichok originated in Russia. I have little doubt that a previous govt would have taken a stronger position and asked the FA not to send a team.  The current position seems a reasonable one.

• RMweb Premium

Also nice to see that FIfa have said the the budding footballers in that cave in Thailand can be at the final if they are well enough to travel.

Somehow, I don't think their families will let them out of their sight for a little while.

Can I remind everyone that the title of this thread is "FOOTBALL FOCUS".

Therefore the discussion should be about FOOTBALL. I have commented on this on more than one occasion.

If you want to discuss Brexit, Russian politics or any other political subject then please discuss it elsewhere - I believe that political talk is frowned upon within RMWeb. Those of us who use this page to discuss FOOTBALL would not want that to happen!]

Sorry about the rather forceful tone of this thread - but I am fed up of reading about non FOOTBALL related topics and I have politely mentioned this before.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I remind everyone that the title of this thread is "FOOTBALL FOCUS".

Therefore the discussion should be about FOOTBALL. I have commented on this on more than one occasion.

If you want to discuss Brexit, Russian politics or any other political subject then please discuss it elsewhere - I believe that political talk is frowned upon within RMWeb. Those of us who use this page to discuss FOOTBALL would not want that to happen!]

Sorry about the rather forceful tone of this thread - but I am fed up of reading about non FOOTBALL related topics and I have politely mentioned this before.

Can we still talk about Sterling?

In addition to what Joseph said it is hard to ignore sweeping statements which perpetuate myths such as

"if it was supported by some evidence.  Unfortunately it isn't"...

Isn't it? Have you seen the evidence they have? Thought not. Sometimes "evidence" cannot be shown to the Public as that would then give other countries information of how our research and intelligence services work and how much we know about what other countries are up to. This is one of those times. Let's leave it at that, it's not a big conspiracy, just a way of keeping us safe...

Now, hopefully, back to footie.... Did someone mention Sterling? Can we have a campaign to get the midfield to pass the ball to hime every so often please?! :)

I need some help on this, and may be wrong, but I half remember that Martin Peters had a streak of "bad luck" during the 1966 tournament.  All came good in the final, in that he scored England's second goal.

Sterling has played well, but has really lost confidence when it comes to putting the ball in the net.  You could see this on his second break through the Swedish defence, having picked up the ball after the goalkeeper's parry/fumble.  He appears indecisive - does he press towards goal himself or pass to Kane who has come up in support?  In the end, he decides to try to score, but that moment of indecision has lost the best opportunity.  In the Premiership, he averages out at a goal every other game - which supports the theory that it's confidence, not ability, that is lacking.

I think Gareth has done the right thing by sticking with him.  I hope for all our sakes it comes good.

• Like 4