The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Also noted this gem from one of the commentators about one of the Ruskies who plays for Levante, which according to him is now a few hundred miles north-west in Madrid.

Why send someone who hasn't got a scooby about geography to a world cup?

Mike.

It's ITV - they only know where Old Trafford is!

I see Ronaldo has been making good use of the skills honed at the Fergie Academy of Falling Over Dramatically. Oh for the days of free kicks only being given if the player needed to be stretchered off.

He's also just agreed to pay £16m to avoid jail for tax evasion in Spain, with a 2 year suspended sentence.

I see Ronaldo has been making good use of the skills honed at the Fergie Academy of Falling Over Dramatically. Oh for the days of free kicks only being given if the player needed to be stretchered off.

The first was definitely a penalty, the guy who challenged him made a complete hash of the challenge. The free kick for his third goal was also quite legitimate, and the kick itself was superb

So we had a successful free kick after forty-four practice misses.

It actually looked a different Ronald last night. Gone was the “pretty boy” to be replaced by a much more determined, nigh on angry, expression. Complete focus when he was lining up the free kick.

Brilliant game and what a strike for Spain’s third.

He's also just agreed to pay £16m to avoid jail for tax evasion in Spain, with a 2 year suspended sentence.

He's left Messi trailing in his wake off the field as Messi only managed to evade about £9M.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whereas numerous local and national politicians have gone straight to jail, some for a lot less.

We have strange priorities in Spain.

Mike.

So we had a successful free kick after forty-four practice misses.

It actually looked a different Ronald last night. Gone was the “pretty boy” to be replaced by a much more determined, nigh on angry, expression. Complete focus when he was lining up the free kick.

Brilliant game and what a strike for Spain’s third.

I'm looking at Group B and the slightly surreal sight of The Islamic Republic of Iran topping the group by virtue of a goal that they didn't score....

• RMweb Premium

What national anthem is England going to have for this world cup?  I do hope they're not going to usurp the UK one again.

DT

Edited by Torper

• RMweb Gold

Blimey! that's a mountain of money just to dress up as a clown. Goes to show how much money there is in Burgers these days.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

What national anthem is England going to have for this world cup?  I do hope they're not going to usurp the UK one again.

DT

We Welsh have our own so England can sing what they want. Not in the least bit bothered.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

DT

Land of hope and glory for me, every time.

Meanwhile, Peru seem to have trained at the Gareth Southgate School of Penalty Taking.

Whereas numerous local and national politicians have gone straight to jail, some for a lot less......

...such as declaring independence? Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Watching the World Cup over here in the States where every game is being shown live. However, the standard of commentating is dreadful and is nothing like listening to the commentators back home. At the final whistle of the Argentina v Iceland game the commentator came out with this gem "And Iceland beats Argentina 1-1". 

Come on England!

• Like 1

...., the standard of commentating is dreadful and is nothing like listening to the commentators back home. At the final whistle of the Argentina v Iceland game the commentator came out with this gem "And Iceland beats Argentina 1-1". ...!

That should make it into the next Colemanballs in Private Eye

• Like 1

Watching the World Cup over here in the States where every game is being shown live. However, the standard of commentating is dreadful and is nothing like listening to the commentators back home. At the final whistle of the Argentina v Iceland game the commentator came out with this gem "And Iceland beats Argentina 1-1". 

Pretty certain the words draw, drew or drawn do not exist in the US language, or at least in a sporting context. Its not the first time that has happened, they seem to believe their should always  be a winner and hence the underdog wins if they do not lose.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think any of the home nations should be saddled with the dreary dirge that is the current UK national anthem.  Two have ditched it.  As a mere Scot, can I commend to England "There'll Always be an England"?

There'll always be an England
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me

There.  Perfect.  I'd almost be jealous of it.

DT

• Like 1

At the final whistle of the Argentina v Iceland game the commentator came out with this gem "And Iceland beats Argentina 1-1"

The background is a passage in one of Roddy Doyle’s books, where he describes the Ireland 1990 group stage campaign as winning 1-1 against England, then losing 0-0 against Egypt.

It’s something called “subtle humour”. I believe that prohibitive tariffs have prevented its import into the USA.

I don't think any of the home nations should be saddled with the dreary dirge that is the current UK national anthem.  Two have ditched it.  As a mere Scot, can I commend to England "There'll Always be an England"?

There'll always be an England

And England shall be free

If England means as much to you

As England means to me

There.  Perfect.  I'd almost be jealous of it.

DT

That'll do nicely as would any of Jerusalem, Land of Hope and Glory, Rose of England, I Vow to thee my Country,......anything that references either the country or the people more than the current dull funereal elitist droning dirge would be preferable.