The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

When the chairman says "The board is 100% behind Avram" you know it's time to start looking for a new job mister Grant. The BBC don't come out of this with must credit; they were the ones who were trumpeting the news that West Ham were replacing Avram Grant and that Martin O'Neill was the favourite for the job. If it had happened it would have been "You heard it here first". I bet there is some disappointment at the beeb that the West Ham board have let them down. News organisations should report the news, not try to make it.

Geoff.

I'm sure that before kick-off the BBC were reporting that a senior board member had denied the 'Grant to be sacked' story. The Guardian certainly were, in fact it's still on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read that Blackpool have been fined £25,000 for fielding a weakened team against Aston Villa. What a farce, they have a 25 man squad to choose from and did just that. Now the Premiership are deciding whether or not the players selected are better or worse than others in the squad. Team selection should be nothing to do with them, and IMHO there are plenty of things wrong with the game that the FA and Prem managements should be looking at without micromanaging the teams.

Arsenal made eight changes for the game at Wigan, but that seems to be OK. Eight is OK but ten is too many? Managers must be allowed to choose the players they think best suited to counter the opposition on any given day.

Did I mention I am a Blackpool fan?

Geoff.

• Like 4

Arsenal made eight changes for the game at Wigan, but that seems to be OK. Eight is OK but ten is too many? Managers must be allowed to choose the players they think best suited to counter the opposition on any given day.

Geoff.

Of course thats OK. Their one of the big 4, they can do what they like. Anyway no good questioning Wenger, he probably didn't see it..

• Like 1

I've just read that Blackpool have been fined £25,000 for fielding a weakened team against Aston Villa. What a farce, they have a 25 man squad to choose from and did just that. Now the Premiership are deciding whether or not the players selected are better or worse than others in the squad. Team selection should be nothing to do with them, and IMHO there are plenty of things wrong with the game that the FA and Prem managements should be looking at without micromanaging the teams.

Geoff.

+1 from me.

Given the number of changes we see to teams week in and week out through injury alone, never mind tactics, why they felt the need to castigate Blackpool is ridiculous.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As I recall the game 'affected' was a most entertaining affair. The team certainly didn't appear much weaker.

To fine is an insult to the club, the manager and the players concerned.

• Like 1

A bit cheeky, that! She's actually a very good ref. I went to a game a couple of years ago (Stafford Rangers v Stalybridge) and I have to say she got everything right...and what's more, not a cheep out of the players! I can well remember her giving a stern lecture to one of the Stafford defenders, him being about 18 inches taller than her, and it was 'yes miss, no miss, O.K. miss' and so on.

Torres £50m, Carroll £35m, Dzeko £27m, Bent £24, these are just the pick of the January Transfers.

My questions are: Are these players actually WORTH that amount of money???? And where does all this money come from???

Now I know my team, Leicester, have money, but has it really come down to this for football now Teams having to buy their way to success??

I'm sure we all want our teams to win the Premiership and then the Champions League, but is it actually worth it???

Regards

Neal.

Torres £50m, Carroll £35m, Dzeko £27m, Bent £24, these are just the pick of the January Transfers.

And every single one of them overpriced to different extents.

My questions are: Are these players actually WORTH that amount of money????

If Darren Bent is worth £24 Million (despite my enthusiasm for him as a football fan), then Andy Carroll's £35 Million is about ten times over his own true value.

I can't understand the attraction of a player who has played well at a championship level but has only scored eleven goals so far this season. That sounds like a lot, and he's above Bent (nine goals) in that respect, but then check the amount of time on the pitch, and the amount of play he's been involved in, and suddenly that eleven goals seems a paltry amount for someone reputed to be a prolific goalscorer.

The Torres sale is a Chelski inflated price and it's a case of trying to reinvent a team halfway through a season at any price (which they can afford to spend), and Liverpool being happy to take the money and run. I would if I were them too!

And where does all this money come from???

Rich owners, or milking it out of the football league and the lower divisions in extremis. You only have to see the difference in TV pay for matches, and realize what a step down the championship has become, to see how lucrative the PL is for small teams working their way up.

Now I know my team, Leicester, have money, but has it really come down to this for football now Teams having to buy their way to success??

Yes. No other way of putting it: ten years ago, I'd have disagreed and said my usual mantra of "any team can win on their day". That is still true, but getting rarer by the day. It's no longer just the players: you can't buy the advertising/brand strengths nor the coaching and sponsor backing that the big teams have.

I'm sure we all want our teams to win the Premiership and then the Champions League, but is it actually worth it???

Regards

Neal.

I'm quite happy going down the Valley and seeing my team play, week in, week out. When that stops happening, football will be dead to me as it's quite likely at that point, Charlton will be too. And if it did happen, we wouldn't be alone in it, sadly.

Football lost the plot - but now it's destroying itself from the bottom up.

....And where does all this money come from???....

Ever-increasing amounts of debt would be my guess.

Unless of course your name is Roman Abramovich, probably the only person in the entire League structure who actually has any money that isn't in hock to something else (as long as you discount Putin).

Now then, who fancies the chances of Crawley Town against Mank Spew? :P

Regards

Neal.

I do not want my team to win the Prem and "Champions" League because to achieve that they would have to sell out to mega rich foreigners who don't understand what supporting a football team means to the fans. I want my team to be stable in the Premier League but trying hard to win the Carling Cup and especially the FA Cup. The latter is important to me in a way that overseas owners, managers, and players simply do not "get".

Geoff.

• RMweb Premium

Odd situation that. Keys and Gray get fired (resign), and are now linked with a bumper new deal with Al Jazeera, whilst Sian Massey has been pulled from every subsequent game she was due to officiate due to 'undue media interest'. Nothing to do with her, yet she is being punished - for something she cannot be accused of as the two close off-side decisions she called during that infamous match were made correctly. Methinks there is something a little wrong here...:unsure:

It seems to me that the self-rightous indignation over the 'sexism in football scandal' has claimed an innocent victim - namely Sian Massey. For goodness sake Sky - give Keys and Gray a public b****cking and make them give an abject apology on air (perhaps with a week or two's salary donation to some charity) and move on. They've made them 'martyrs' in some quarters (a so-called antithesis of political correctness) ...and the more this gets dragged on by the media the longer Massey will miss out on doing something she obviously enjoys - and based on the evidence to hand, she is actually pretty good at.

Mrs Dreyfus - who does understand the off-side rule, in great detail - makes the point that there are a good many professional footballers who cannot clearly articulate what constitutes off-side (least of all understand - cue lots of arguing with the ref when a clearly off-side goal is ruled out for being, well, patently off-side); and they happen to be male. Sadly, it looks like an action of stupidity is being handled (in my opinion) in an equally adept manner and ultimately the wrong person will be punished.

How ridiculous is that? dry.gif

In other news... Good for Chelsea (although I'll be interested what a reported £50 million will get them - will Torres actually start becoming less lethargic and put in at least some effort)?); okay for Liverpool (is Carroll worth £35 million? Probably for the best that Torres has moved on); not great for Newcastle (althought they have the shirker Ireland on board now - will he actually bother to pull his socks up and work for his large salary?); good for Blackpool (keep Adam and sign Beattie - although I did not realise he was at Rangers, he seems to have dropped off the radar a bit); catastophic for Pompey (s*d all coming in; bye, bye Utaka)...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now then, who fancies the chances of Crawley Town against Mank Spew? :P

The atmosphere around the town is electric...Red Devils verses Red Devils. this is what the FA Cup is all about. For my overseas work colleagues, suddenly Crawley is not 'that place that houses those belligerent bu***rs from IT'; it has become that little football team taking on Man United. That said, once they have been soundly thrashed, it'll be back to 'the office that says no'!

Interestingly, on a day when three players have cost about £100 million pounds in transfer fees, the £1 million that Crawley stand to make from this tie has effectively secured their future - at least for a couple of years. Thinking about it, the fees for Carroll, Torres and Suarez combined would wipe out almost all of Pompey's debt!

What an odd world we live in...:mellow:

• Like 4

Andy Carroll, 35 million quid, the world has gone completely mad, think I'd sooner sign Mickey Carroll :D

Chelsea go for the sulkiest front line in world football, who's going to have their toys out of the pram first there then?

When signings make City's signing of Dzeko (or any city signing for that matter) look sensible and restrained you know that it's all barmy.

I have a feeling all this big money is being spent now, as [ i believe ] a new law comes into force in June that only allows clubs to spend on players what they generate in revenue, or they will be banned from European matches. As for where the money comes from, well the 50M Abramovich gave Liverpool then pays for Carroll and the other bloke they bought. Randy Lerners money bought Bent. Hopefully some of that cash will work its way down the leagues with buys in the summer. In my opinion Liverpool have lost out. Torres is proven even if he has been 'off' this season. Carroll it would appear didn't want to go, so he's gonna do well isn't he.;)

Be ironic or not but on my NUFC 2011 Calender for February is yes you've guessed a certain Mr. Andrew Carroll from Gateshead. He is only 22 and as soon as he sees the neon lights of Liverpool, Southport, Formby, Manchester, Wigan, Warrington, Ormskirk, Garswood, Bryn, Goose Green, Ashton-in-Makerfield and all other points North West he's F*****.

The game has gone potty.

£35m. What I could do with that...

Buy the smoggies probably...

• RMweb Premium

Another club with delusions of grandeur...step up West Brom this time.

I'm not exactly sure what they expected this season...they are a perennial yo-yo team, who performed well above their ability at the start of the season...save the 6-0 trashing at Chelsea. Di Matteo was not doing a bad job, so it is sad to see him getting the sack. Question is, would anyone else be able to do a better job?

I nearly spluttered my coffee all over my keyboard when I read this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/9390811.stm

What the hell is Arnesen on??? Of course buying the likes of Torres and Luiz are stopping home grown talent from shining through, the article points out that they have a young talent coming through by the name of Josh McEachran, but at the moment he's only been a sub. I'll bet most of those subs appearances have been in the Carling/FA cup games, not in any Champions League or high profile Premier games ( I haven't checked this out, but hoping for a Chelski fan to tell us). Oh and Sturridge has gone out on loan to Bolton, because he hasn't made the grade at Chelsea since coming from Man City

I'm afraid this importing of foreign talent is ruining the English game, in fact its ruining the British game as Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland are also suffering.

Now before nayone else does this, I'm fully aware that my own club are going down this road as well, but we do have a plethora of home grown players, just the higher profile players are foreign, albeit younger players, of which 2 are from Chelski, and we are sending a young English lad out on loan to Celtic. I suppose a lot of this is due to the fact that we have a foreign manager.

We are also getting to the point where the top 4 or 5 clubs will by a foreign youngster, just to stop the other teams from getting them, pathetic or what!!!!

Right I'll get of me soapbox now, put me coat on and go do some work.

Cheers

Neal.

UTF.

... they have a young talent coming through by the name of Josh McEachran, but at the moment he's only been a sub. I'll bet most of those subs appearances have been in the Carling/FA cup games, not in any Champions League or high profile Premier games ( I haven't checked this out, but hoping for a Chelski fan to tell us). Oh and Sturridge has gone out on loan to Bolton, because he hasn't made the grade at Chelsea since coming from Man City.

Since you asked... ! I've not got the stats, but as a Chelsea fan who's followed the team's ups and downs this season, I'd say that McEachran has had a reasonable crack of the whip across all types of football - at least as much as Kakuta (who's gone to Fulham on loan - incredible that he's gone anywhere, after Chelsea receiving a transfer ban for signing him, but never mind), and almost as much as Sturridge. Sadly for both of them, perhaps, Kalou has found his scoring boots (well, as much as he ever does) this year, so the youngsters are seen as a risk, I guess.

Whilst on Chelsea, it's be rude not to mention Torres, of course. I'm actually quite ambivalent about his signing, and am still trying to decide whether £50M for him is better or worse value than £35M for Andy Carroll... still, whether he scores 20 goals this season or not (ah, who am I kidding? Of course he won't*), what Fernando represents is an asset which could, if need be, be used to offset any future signings and stay within the upcoming rules. Naughty, you might say, but all clubs will doubtless be looking to bend the rules.

Anyway, what about England friendlies?

Me, I can't see the point, but I'll watch anyway. It's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours on a Wednesday night!

*Still, Drogba and Torres up front, Anelka** in the hole... so crazy, it might just work...

**Can I just take this opportunity to say that I love Nicolas Anelka's feet? No, not in that way... seriously, next time Chelsea are playing, watch him as he distributes the ball around. Such ecomony and precision, tiny little flicks to send the pass on its way. Just lovely!

Been to see a REAL game tonight. Hoddesdon Town Reserves v Hatfield, Spartan reserve league. Hoddy 1 nil down at half time scored 4 second half goals. 3 were from outside the box the 4th a great shimmy of the feet, keeper the wrong way and a pass to the back of the net, Great thing was 22 players playing their hearts out on a frosty evening getting paid about 30 quid for their trouble. Now thats real footballers and a massive crowd of around 60.