The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Agreed, the religion thing is at the heart of the difference between Rangers & Celtic. Maybe it would be overlooked with some successes (especially beating Celtic), but obviously that could only possibly come with time. Continuing to lose against Celtic (like last weekend!), could only be a disaster.

Have many big name Rangers players been RC? I suspect not.

Rangers had an unwritten rule that they would not knowingly sign an RC player up to the Graham Souness/David Murray era.  Even then "RC" players were foreign imports, it is UK (especially Scottish) players that the hardcore Rangers Support have issues with - the one that springs to mind was Maurice Johnston, who was the first major Scottish born RC signing in the modern era, Some Rangers fans burned scarves and threatened to hand in season tickets over the signing and there is a story on Wikipedia that Rangers' kitman protested by making Johnston arrange his own kit and withholding from him the chocolate bars dispensed to other players.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I agree that Gerrard/Rangers is not a great match-up. Chris Coleman would be a good option.

Are you a Celtic fan by any chance?

Ho hum, the happy Hammers are back in the mire. Didn’t feel too well yesterday so didn’t go to the match - I wasn’t expecting West Ham to win but they could have at least tried. Can’t wait for the Everton match, Mr Allardyce must be rubbing his hands in glee.

• RMweb Gold

Are you a Celtic fan by any chance?

Ho hum, the happy Hammers are back in the mire. Didn’t feel too well yesterday so didn’t go to the match - I wasn’t expecting West Ham to win but they could have at least tried. Can’t wait for the Everton match, Mr Allardyce must be rubbing his hands in glee.

No, I'm not a Celtic fan.

Chris Coleman is good at getting the most out of limited player resource. OK, he has not managed it at Sunderland but I don't think anyone could have sorted that mess. Plenty of other good managers, including Moyes of course, have tried over the last few years. (I'm not a Newcastle supporter either. I think that Sunderland is a great club with super support and it is sad to see them failing).

I would much rather have had Cookie at Everton (yes, Iam a Blue) than Sam Allardyce - and still would. Unfortunately, he did not manage his Wales exit very well.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with you re. Sunderland, it is sad to see such a great old club fallen on such hard times. Over the years, I saw several really exciting games between West Ham and Sunderland at Upton Park and well remember their '73 FA Cup win against Leeds Utd (featuring goalie Jim Montgomery's amazing double save). Coleman looked truly beaten when I saw him on the touchline in a recently televised game (which Sunderland lost of course). Portsmouth are another old club with a fine tradition which has suffered terribly over the last 15 or so years - I just hope and pray that the Hammers don't do the same.

I think the odds on us being relegated have shortened somewhat - my feeling right now is that even if we do go down, it's not the end of the world - at least we might win a few more games next season and Jordan Hugill (centre forward signed from Preston who has yet to start a match AFAIK) could get the chance to make his mark as a replacement for Andy Carroll, who surely can't be a Hammer much longer.

• RMweb Premium

Rangers had an unwritten rule that they would not knowingly sign an RC player up to the Graham Souness/David Murray era.  Even then "RC" players were foreign imports, it is UK (especially Scottish) players that the hardcore Rangers Support have issues with - the one that springs to mind was Maurice Johnston, who was the first major Scottish born RC signing in the modern era, Some Rangers fans burned scarves and threatened to hand in season tickets over the signing and there is a story on Wikipedia that Rangers' kitman protested by making Johnston arrange his own kit and withholding from him the chocolate bars dispensed to other players.

Jim

But its happened. I do hope things work out OK for him and most importantly, the team.

Morecambe managed to avoid relegation by taking one point at Coventry and ended the season with nineteen draws, the highest total in all four leagues. How many of those were points lost from a winning position and how many were a point gained from a losing position I do not know. Hopefully with new owners of the club they can consolidate into a permanent League 2 side because dropping into the Conference or whatever it is called these days has meant years of struggle to get back the league status. Too many clubs have fallen and gone even lower: some to be forgotten altogether.  

So Derby have stumbled into the play offs although in the end it was fairly routine beating a poor Barnsley side without really breaking sweat. It was a strange atmosphere in the ground however. You would think 4-0 up and cruising there would be a celebratory atmosphere. It was quite muted however. Whether that was an after effect of the poor end to the season I am not sure. I think that many Derby fans had ears on radios and eyes on their phones rooting for Burton to complete the great escape. A lot of Rams fans keep a close eye on their neighbours and I think there was a lot of disappointment for them.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't that usually how it goes for many teams now?

Will Chelsea stumble into the UCL positions this season?

Thanks for the 3 points BTW!

So Derby have stumbled into the play offs although in the end i

Let's hope the Derby County play off juggernaut isn't derailed by more imaginary snow !

Bloooooooobirds !

Bloooooooobirds !

C'mon the Cottagers !  -  (The best side in the Championship, until the last day)

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

Boing boing Baggies?

Lets see - to stay up we need Swansea and Southampton to draw tonight, Swansea to lose at home to Stoke at the weekend, and Southampton to lose too - and our goal difference needs to improve +4 over Southamptons by winning at Crystal palace....

Impossible? We will see - the way things have gone since Darren Moore took over I wouldn't bet against it!

Phil

• Like 1

Let's hope the Derby County play off juggernaut isn't derailed by more imaginary snow !

Bloooooooobirds !

Bloooooooobirds !

C'mon the Cottagers !  -  (The best side in the Championship, until the last day)

3-1, 3-1, 3-1.

I see Cardiff stumbled to automatic promotion because the so called best side in the Championship bottled it on the last day.

Funny how Colin W***** had little to say about the Cardiff game ending early by the over the top celebrations by Cardiff fans on the pitch but plenty to say about the Wolves manager a few games ago.

Congrats on promotion. Had you slipped into the playoffs we would have beaten you anyway. You could not beat us this season.

I would rather have played your lot because I would back us to beat you. Sadly, unless Fulham bottle it again, I cannot see us progressing.

3-1, 3-1, 3-1.

I see Cardiff stumbled to automatic promotion because the so called best side in the Championship bottled it on the last day.

Funny how Colin W***** had little to say about the Cardiff game ending early by the over the top celebrations by Cardiff fans on the pitch but plenty to say about the Wolves manager a few games ago.

Congrats on promotion. Had you slipped into the playoffs we would have beaten you anyway. You could not beat us this season.

I would rather have played your lot because I would back us to beat you. Sadly, unless Fulham bottle it again, I cannot see us progressing.

Obviously, you find magnanimity a difficult personal trait to adopt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4450852/The-10-worst-Premier-League-sides-time.html

Brian R

At the end of the day, he also needs to gain greater experience in management, so if he can handle some / most / all the difficulties that Rangers have to offer, it will be useful for his own development.

Scotland may have refined the game and introduced the passing game, but sadly the Scottish Premiership is held in low esteem elsewhere in the world.

Word is they still have 'goalie when' north of the border ?

Sadly, the Auld Firm have, for too long been perceived as two big fish in a small pond puddle.

Celtic's European Triumph is a life time ago, nowadays they reach the qualifiers, which in their case amounts to little more than a 'midweek break with a game thrown in'.

As for Gerrard taking the reigns at Ibrox........all across Europe there are any number of former Anfield players out of contract this summer, available on loan, or short contracts.

They may be past their prime, but let's face it, the Scottish Premier (even Celtic) shouldn't present them too much of a challenge.

This post amounts to the whole 90 seconds I find I can devote to Scots football in any one  season.

Oh ! and don't think I'm biased, I haven't a soapbox strong enough to support a tirade on the 'League of Wales'

Scotland may have refined the game and introduced the passing game, but sadly the Scottish Premiership is held in low esteem elsewhere in the world.

Word is they still have 'goalie when' north of the border ?

Sadly, the Auld Firm have, for too long been perceived as two big fish in a small pond puddle.

Celtic's European Triumph is a life time ago, nowadays they reach the qualifiers, which in their case amounts to little more than a 'midweek break with a game thrown in'.

As for Gerrard taking the reigns at Ibrox........all across Europe there are any number of former Anfield players out of contract this summer, available on loan, or short contracts.

They may be past their prime, but let's face it, the Scottish Premier (even Celtic) shouldn't present them too much of a challenge.

This post amounts to the whole 90 seconds I find I can devote to Scots football in any one  season.

Oh ! and don't think I'm biased, I haven't a soapbox strong enough to support a tirade on the 'League of Wales'

I once heard Rangers and Celtic described as the elephant in Scottish football's living room, squashing everyone else, whichever way they turn.  The danger now, is that after thirty four years of utter dominance in winning the league (despite Rangers financial collapse and rebuilding) the two clubs are slowly suffocating the life out of the other clubs and their fans and it is very clear that no one else can ever hope to challenge them again for the top honour.  Indeed the Scottish Premier League was created in 1975 to make the League more competitive, but on only four occasions in the 1980s was the league won by anyone outwith the Old Firm (only 19 times ever in the history of the game)   Ideally they should be allowed to play in the Premiership, but I can understand why they are not wanted thanks to their historical baggage, equally, despite a huge following they have no chance in playing in any European Elite league if it was ever formed.  Life will go on as it has done for years past, it won't get better and I hate it.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I once heard Rangers and Celtic described as the elephant in Scottish football's living room, squashing everyone else, whichever way they turn.  The danger now, is that after thirty four years of utter dominance in winning the league (despite Rangers financial collapse and rebuilding) the two clubs are slowly suffocating the life out of the other clubs and their fans and it is very clear that no one else can ever hope to challenge them again for the top honour.  Indeed the Scottish Premier League was created in 1975 to make the League more competitive, but on only four occasions in the 1980s was the league won by anyone outwith the Old Firm (only 19 times ever in the history of the game)   Ideally they should be allowed to play in the Premiership, but I can understand why they are not wanted thanks to their historical baggage, equally, despite a huge following they have no chance in playing in any European Elite league if it was ever formed.  Life will go on as it has done for years past, it won't get better and I hate it.

Jim

One of the few good things that we can learn from the USA is that, for clubs to be successful long-term, a league has to be competitive. It would be in the best interests of both Celtic and Rangers if at least four other clubs were in with a realistic chance of winning the SCP. That needs some intervention from the Premiership organisers.

• RMweb Gold

Jim

Celtic are now happy to be the best team in Glasgow rather than back in the day when they were the best team in Europe.