The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

Chelsea finish 2nd in ECL Group C.

Can anyone explain why Chelsea finished 2nd & not top? They ended up with the better goal difference.

I guess the away goal rule came into play, with the 3-3 result against AS Roma at Stamford Bridge.

When two teams finish equal on points they look at their record in the two games against each other rather than goal difference.  If I remember correctly Chelsea lost away and drew at home against Roma and so Roma finished above them.  The actual fine detail of the results might not be totally correct (I can't remember for certain) but you get the general gist of it.

• RMweb Premium

When two teams finish equal on points they look at their record in the two games against each other rather than goal difference.  If I remember correctly Chelsea lost away and drew at home against Roma and so Roma finished above them.  The actual fine detail of the results might not be totally correct (I can't remember for certain) but you get the general gist of it.

OK, a bit of Googling came up with this.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/91/48/36/914836_DOWNLOAD.pdf

So looks like we failed due to section 8.07 b. and not 8.07 d, as I would have expected.

Serves us right for letting AS Roma score 3 at The Bridge!

Here’s a diversion to while away a bit of time while you're waiting for Santa. It’s a short and simple football manager game, which will keep you amused for...minutes.

First, have a look at the instructions.

To play the game, download and install.

I wrote the game some years ago on a Windows 98 PC and it seems to be behaving itself on Windows 7 and 8. I can’t speak for Windows 10, though I don’t see why there should be problems. Having said which, I no longer have the software to make any changes.

The program has been virus-checked.

Who will be first to prove they have won the league by posting a screen shot of the final table?

• RMweb Gold

How much longer can a 20-team premiership survive with such uneven resources between clubs?

This season, more than ever before, we are seeing a real "us and them" situation with a big gap opening between the lower half and upper half of the table. Man Utd have a points total which would normally see them on their way to a title - but are 11 points behind as City win most of their games without even getting into top gear.

Surely we need:

1) A restriction on 1st team squad size;

2) A ban on loaning players to other clubs in the same competition.

Otherwise, we will end up like Scotland with a much smaller top flight.

I think City have been in top gear most of the season so far... Hence they are 11 points clear!! As a City fan I'm enjoying it, but I'd say that it's more down to the type of football they are playing that is getting te results, I'm glad to see the "boot it and run after it" brigade are finally being shown how football should be played... I only hope that it'll start to permiate into the England team and will continue when Pep moves on...

I think Scotland was perhaps a bad example as there is an even bigger "them and us" rich team gap in the Premiership up there than down here despite it being smaller!

• RMweb Premium

I think City have been in top gear most of the season so far... Hence they are 11 points clear!! As a City fan I'm enjoying it, but I'd say that it's more down to the type of football they are playing that is getting te results, I'm glad to see the "boot it and run after it" brigade are finally being shown how football should be played... I only hope that it'll start to permiate into the England team and will continue when Pep moves on...

I think Scotland was perhaps a bad example as there is an even bigger "them and us" rich team gap in the Premiership up there than down here despite it being smaller!

It seems to me that there is a lack of effort at times, or an expectation that 'we will win this game easily'.

How else can you describe Chelsea's loss to Crystal Palace and West Ham? Even with those gifted points, they are still 3rd & 2nd last respectively.

It seems to me that there is a lack of effort at times, or an expectation that 'we will win this game easily'.

How else can you describe Chelsea's loss to Crystal Palace and West Ham? Even with those gifted points, they are still 3rd & 2nd last respectively.

As per the Antonio Conte Book of Foreign Managers Excuses:

"...the fixture schedule is hectic........player tiredness....having to play and travel in the Champions League is difficult.... player jet lag.......having to play in the League Cup is inconvenient......squad size is too small......having to play in the F.A.Cup is difficult....... player weariness.......I couldn't sign the players I wanted to in the summer.....player fatigue........player exhaustion.........player sleepiness.........player drowsiness.......player doziness........player listlessness......player lethargy......player languidness.......player sluggishness.....player lifelessness,,,,,,,,player torpor.......player inertia.................."

He is becoming more than a bit tedious with his endless stream of excuses and is  already saying his players will be fatigued by the time they play Barcelona in February.

Button it for a bit and crack on with your main job Antonio which is trailing Man City by a considerable margin at the present time.

• Like 1

Stop Press :- Sunderland win football match at Stadium Of Light 

Stop press 2 - Crystal Palace score their first away Premier League goal of the season......and their second..... and their third.....pathetic performance by my team Leicester  this lunch time but never mind this week gets easier with just the two Manchester teams to play before Christmas......eek....

Stop press 2 - Crystal Palace score their first away Premier League goal of the season......and their second..... and their third.....pathetic performance by my team Leicester  this lunch time but never mind this week gets easier with just the two Manchester teams to play before Christmas......eek....

Indeed, I imagine there will be plenty of managers and fans of Premier League clubs going 'eek' before the year is out.

Next Saturday there are three 6-pointers coming up at Stoke, Swansea, and West Ham involving six of the bottom seven clubs.

I would say that nearly all the teams from Watford in 9th place will be anxiously looking over their shoulders,

cheers

cheers 

• RMweb Gold

Well done the Robins! Their reward - a 2 leg tie against Man City.

Good luck with that!

Rob

Superb performance by Bristol City last night with two really well taken goals. Hope it boosts their performance in the Championship as I do think Bristol merits a top-flight team.

Stop press 2 - Crystal Palace score their first away Premier League goal of the season......and their second..... and their third.....pathetic performance by my team Leicester  this lunch time but never mind this week gets

easier with just the two Manchester teams to play before Christmas......eek....

Well the week didn't turn out too badly after all......with our stiffs taking Man.City's 3rd XI all the way to penalties in the League Cup, only to blow the shootout with two poor penalties... hey-ho.... but last night's 94th minute equalising goal against Man.Utd. felt like a winning goal, after being under cosh for long periods of the game and reduced to 10 men in the second half - thank goodness for Man Utd's p*ss poor finishing though.

So with Sheffield Wednesday occupying the bottom half of the Championship the owners decided Carvalhal wasn't up to the job and sacked him. Swansea, rock bottom of the Premier League, sack their manager and decide Carvalhal is the man to save then even though he has never managed in the Premier.

I'd love to know the thought process.

So with Sheffield Wednesday occupying the bottom half of the Championship the owners decided Carvalhal wasn't up to the job and sacked him. Swansea, rock bottom of the Premier League, sack their manager and decide Carvalhal is the man to save then even though he has never managed in the Premier.

I'd love to know the thought process.

Maybe they thought it was a good idea to meet him halfway?

It's close at the top!

In the Premier League Watford in 10th, but with one win in seven, now find themselves only seven points above the relegation zone.

Current form would suggest Palace and West Ham are slowly headed in the right direction, 

I would not like to pick the three teams for the drop, I reckon it could be any three from 11 at the moment,

cheers