The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Very good.

Having been through the problems that Orient are currently facing with my club, (Exeter City), I do feel for them (Orient that is),

football at that level is a completely different game in more ways than one.

I get a feeling that if you had offered Sunderland fans (or  quite a few other clubs for that matter) to 'only' finish 6th they would have bitten your hand off,

cheers

cheers

But the Premier League table suggests differently! With 3 sides having scored more goals than Spurs & 2 with a similar amount of goals scored against them. Even Arsenal, have scored more goals than Spurs & what good has that done them?

Consistency is the secret to actually winning the title. Something Leicester did very well at last season.

Looking down the table, Middlesborough have a very good defence, having only let in 30 goals significantly better than all but 4 sides, but not much good because they can't score either!

Surprising therefore that Spurs are #2 in the Premier League today with a GD better than anyone else in the Premier...................................

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Surprising therefore that Spurs are #2 in the Premier League today with a GD better than anyone else in the Premier...................................

Best, Pete.

Yes, because they have sacrificed points by having more draws than Chelsea, whereas Chelsea have won more. So Spurs have won the games they have, by bigger margins.

Also Chelsea lost a match to Crystal Palace, since I wrote that back on the 19 March.

Battling in Europe again tonight after preparing for it with another dismal domestic display at the weekend. I think we might need Lady Luck to be smiling on us, as in Seville, if the return leg isn't to be a dead rubber.

As a lifelong Brighton & Hove Albion supporter, I'm feeling pretty smug at the moment. However, you never know when the next relegation is going to come along. In my youth I followed them home and away for many seasons. Preston in August, Swindon on New Year's Eve, Aldershot in January.

They only ever made it to the FA Cup Final once and they were the width of a goalpost of defeating Man Utd (And Smith must score!). Relegation from Division 1 (as it was) followed at the end of the season. Further relegations followed and they almost fell out of the League entirely. Only a last gasp draw, at Hereford, saved them. I wasn't able to be at that game although my son made the trip. Sadly, Hereford got relegated instead of Brighton and look what happened to them. So, I have every sympathy for Orient, this season, given the financial mess that they have got themselves into. That was Brighton a few years ago. The Chairman even sold the ground, to property developers, without identifying or building a new stadium. The Albion ended up ground sharing with various League clubs before kicking an amateur club off their mud patch (Withdean Athletics stadium).

A new chairman (who was also a supporter) and a new board of directors plus a complete change in the running of the club sees them with a fantastic new, 30,000-seater stadium, a superb training facility and a realistic playing budget. They haven't splashed out lots of money on players (in comparison to others) yet have the Championship Player of The Season in Anthony Knockaert. When Knockaert's father died, earlier in the season, the whole squad and management team flew over France to support him at the funeral. A class act.

As of today they sit top of the Championship and on course for promotion to the Premiership but it has been a long journey from those dark times at the foot of the English Football League.

And still the refrain must be... "He shot, He Scored, It must be Peter Ward!" and he stopped playing for them years ago. :yahoo:

Edited by batrapyr
  • Like 4

Good at least we still have a slim chance in the Return Leg next Tuesday at the King Power.

A pity Atletico's winning goal was from a penalty given as a result of the referee guessing where the foul was committed, which shouldn't happen at this level.

No idea how Leicester are going to score next Tuesday though with not a single shot on target tonight but then Atletico only managed three shots on target.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Good at least we still have a slim chance in the Return Leg next Tuesday at the King Power.

A pity Atletico's winning goal was from a penalty given as a result of the referee guessing where the foul was committed, which shouldn't happen at this level.

No idea how Leicester are going to score next Tuesday though with not a single shot on target tonight but then Atletico only managed three shots on target.

Get some good fast crosses in for the Atletico defenders to score own goals.

Yes, because they have sacrificed points by having more draws than Chelsea, whereas Chelsea have won more. So Spurs have won the games they have, by bigger margins.

Also Chelsea lost a match to Crystal Palace, since I wrote that back on the 19 March.

Oh, well, another  4-0 win for Spurs...... Sunday will be interesting.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Read a match preview of the upcoming United vs Chelsea match. In regard to United's countless draws this season, reference was made to Mourinho's new nickname.

The Special 1:1

Premier League here we come, thank you Derby for your late equaliser. With Newcastle seemingly coming a cropper we may even win it :)

We thought we owed you one after thrashing you in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Seriously though, good luck for next season you have been threatening promotion for a few years. Enjoy the big time!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Celebrating Pompey's promotion to League 1. It is nice to finally leave a league in the right direction, as opposed to a seemingly never-ending plunge through the divisions in recent years. League 1 is said to be the hardest of all of the divisions, so if we finish 20th in the league next season, I'll take that.

• Like 1

What about Birmingham City firing a manager and his successor resigning after a terrible run?    

Well the board did instruct Zola to get them out of the division ;) I feel sorry for the fans but it was always a bizarre decision by the board to sack Rowett when they were in 7th place 3 points off 3rd. The board are getting what they deserve even if the fans aren't.

Well the board did instruct Zola to get them out of the division ;) I feel sorry for the fans but it was always a bizarre decision by the board to sack Rowett when they were in 7th place 3 points off 3rd. The board are getting what they deserve even if the fans aren't.

Time will tell, next season, if us Rams fans will be thanking the Birmingham board.

Another noisy, emotional, courageous, pulsating, chaotic night at the King Power last night but ultimately not nearly enough as Leicester drew 1-1 with a streetwise and superbly drilled Atletico side.

Still a fitting end to Leicester's Champions League campaign, and no shame in going out to the team with probably the best organised defence in Europe, after giving them a bit of a battering in the second half.

Leicester had no real chance of winning once they conceded a well executed but very poorly defended headed goal in the first half, however Leicester's second half performance was easily their best in the Champions League.

With this game a unique and surprising two years of escapism and astonishment have come to an end.

I'll never see it's like again as realistically Leicester will never win the title or even challenge for it again and will not be appearing in Europe again any time soon.

Edited by cary hill