The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

It was easy for them to "turn up" once Ranieri's chains and straight jackets had been thrown off and they were free to run about again and concentrate on what they're good at.

I hope you're not a trolling Sheep or Trees fan.......

Ewe must be joking.

Funny how Ranieri's chains were fine last year.

Ewe must be joking.

Funny how Ranieri's chains were fine last year.

He never used any chains last season and pretty well gave a settled team free rein to do what they were good at for the whole season.

Unfortunately he reverted back to full "Tinkerman" mode this season, spending all his time concocting baffling strategies,tactics and team selections and producing an embarrassing "car crash" of a title defence which was getting worse with each passing.game.

Edited by cary hill

That's a pity - drawn against Atletico Madrid for the third time in Europe, which is remarkable considering how few games we have played in Europe in our entire history. I would have preferred "new" opponents for a bit of variety.

Still it revives memories of our last clash with Atletico 20 years in the U.E.F.A.Cup, when I witnessed the worst refereeing display I have ever seen in 50 years. The French referee turned down a hatful of stonewall penalties for Leicester and also managed to book and send off Gary Parker for "taking a free kick too quickly".

I still half think that referee had been "got at" and the fact that he never refereed a match at that level again speaks volumes.

The best team in England right now are Tottenham Hotspur. It grieves me to say this as a former life long supporter of Arsenal - it is just too hard to defend them any more.....

Spurs are vey entertaining and worth a punt even without Kane in the team.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The best team in England right now are Tottenham Hotspur. It grieves me to say this as a former life long supporter of Arsenal - it is just too hard to defend them any more.....

Spurs are vey entertaining and worth a punt even without Kane in the team.

Best, Pete.

But the Premier League table suggests differently! With 3 sides having scored more goals than Spurs & 2 with a similar amount of goals scored against them. Even Arsenal, have scored more goals than Spurs & what good has that done them?

Consistency is the secret to actually winning the title. Something Leicester did very well at last season.

Looking down the table, Middlesborough have a very good defence, having only let in 30 goals significantly better than all but 4 sides, but not much good because they can't score either!

But the Premier League table suggests differently! With 3 sides having scored more goals than Spurs & 2 with a similar amount of goals scored against them. Even Arsenal, have scored more goals than Spurs & what good has that done them?

Consistency is the secret to actually winning the title. Something Leicester did very well at last season.

Looking down the table, Middlesborough have a very good defence, having only let in 30 goals significantly better than all but 4 sides, but not much good because they can't score either!

Middlesbrough's problem is Negredo has not been finding the net and the only other option is Gestede who was Aston Villa's big striker signing the previous summer and we all know what happened there!

We'd rather like the 3 points on Saturday too. Hoping you're a bit tired after yesterdays exersions. :yes:

Rob

Tired but fit enough to just withstand a second half siege from the Hammers thanks to more inspired keeping from Schmeichel, but it was kind of the Hammers to give us a two goal start after only seven minutes.

• RMweb Premium

Tired but fit enough to just withstand a second half siege from the Hammers thanks to more inspired keeping from Schmeichel, but it was kind of the Hammers to give us a two goal start after only seven minutes.

Yes my plan didn't work re tiredness, though I thought we deserved a point after the 2nd half siege, but that's football.

Schmeichel was on top form, just like his Dad, and the two early errors cost us dear, although you had a couple of chances as well later. Good game for the neutral.

I should have gone to the bookies, I predicted we'd lose, and in the rubgy, Scotland, France and Ireland would win.

Never happens when you actually put a bet on. :no:

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Yes my plan didn't work re tiredness, though I thought we deserved a point after the 2nd half siege, but that's football.

Schmeichel was on top form, just like his Dad, and the two early errors cost us dear, although you had a couple of chances as well later. Good game for the neutral.

I should have gone to the bookies, I predicted we'd lose, and in the rubgy, Scotland, France and Ireland would win.

Never happens when you actually put a bet on. :no:

Rob

The first 7 minutes left me and most of the fans near me with our heads in our hands - shame the Hammers couldn't play as well in the first half as they did in the second. As you say, a good game for the neutrals (and the Leicester fans). Thought Vardy showed a real lack of class with his ironic bow to the Hammers fans after his goal, but nowhere near as bad as the cretin "supporter" who was screaming abuse at him as he held his small child aloft. What a role model!

I thought we might have nicked a draw, but a combination of amazing goalkeeping by Schmeichel and truly woeful finishing by various Hammers meant it wasn't to be.

• RMweb Premium

The first 7 minutes left me and most of the fans near me with our heads in our hands - shame the Hammers couldn't play as well in the first half as they did in the second. As you say, a good game for the neutrals (and the Leicester fans). Thought Vardy showed a real lack of class with his ironic bow to the Hammers fans after his goal, but nowhere near as bad as the cretin "supporter" who was screaming abuse at him as he held his small child aloft. What a role model!

I thought we might have nicked a draw, but a combination of amazing goalkeeping by Schmeichel and truly woeful finishing by various Hammers meant it wasn't to be.

Hi Colin,

Wouldn't be West Ham without giving the other team a head start, or leading 3-0 at half time and losing.

The most worrying thing is the injuries we got in the game, Antonio & Reid, to add to the couple already sidelined.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Hi Colin,

Wouldn't be West Ham without giving the other team a head start, or leading 3-0 at half time and losing.

The most worrying thing is the injuries we got in the game, Antonio & Reid, to add to the couple already sidelined.

Rob

Hi Rob

At least Carroll managed a full game!

Wouldn't be West Ham if we didn't get a couple of players crocked either. The lack of defensive cover is getting to be a real problem.

Byram played well though - he deserves to stay in the team on that showing, also Masuaku who looked pretty solid when he came on.

• RMweb Gold

.........as a former life long supporter of Arsenal - it is just too hard to defend them any more......

Don't worry, help is on the way.

George Osborne has applied to be the next manager.

• RMweb Gold

I have just seen a couple of photographs of the tackle in last night's Ireland/Wales game that resulted in the broken leg. I'm not surprised that they didn't show replays on TV. They photos turned my stomach.

I hope both players recover, both physically and mentally.

• 2 weeks later...

Another highly satisfactory night at the King Power. Craig Shakespeare's use of substitutes proved the game changer - two assists and a goal from them within 15 minutes or so sending them on.

I think the owner's business decision to sack Ranieri is now fully vindicated judged on results and leaving "sentiment" out of it.

Shakespeare's record for his first five league games WWWWW  Goals For 13 Goals Against 4.

Ranieri's record for his last five league games LLLLL  Goals For 0 Goals Against 12

It just goes to prove that Ranieri made a very bad decision to effectively "blank" Shakespeare at the start of this season and go off to do his own disastrous thing trying to fix stuff that wasn't broken in the first place.

Shakespeare knows what the players are good at and sticks to a simple system and playing style that plays to their strengths.

It should be good enough to get the one more win we need for safety and annoy all those third party Ranieri sentimentalists that wanted Leicester to be relegated.

Poor old Sunderland - watching them tonight was like watching the Leicester of a couple of months ago - highly unlikely to score a goal and their heads dropped once we had scored our first goal.

Sad really as their long suffering excellent supporters deserve so much more.

• RMweb Gold

Five wins out of five in the Premiership is pretty remarkable. How many other managers have done that in their first five games in charge?

And a CL qualification as well.

A 1-1 draw at Old Trafford would usually be seen as a good result. But yet again, we let a win slip in the last minute. Happens too often.

• RMweb Premium

Five wins out of five in the Premiership is pretty remarkable. How many other managers have done that in their first five games in charge?

And a CL qualification as well.

A 1-1 draw at Old Trafford would usually be seen as a good result. But yet again, we let a win slip in the last minute. Happens too often.

6 out of 6 now, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39414201

Pity WHU can't copy that, and Arsenal away tonight. :O

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Poor old Sunderland - watching them tonight was like watching the Leicester of a couple of months ago - highly unlikely to score a goal and their heads dropped once we had scored our first goal.

Be careful or I might have to give you a slap.

• RMweb Gold

Rob

The six includes the CL match. Five in the premiership.

But the article you linked to gave me the info I was looking for which is ONE. Shakespeare is the only manager to have won his first five premiership matches, the previous record having been four.

Rob

West Ham could try copying another of Leicester's good habits - no points dropped from winning positions this season - West Ham 20 points dropped from winning positions this season.

Edited by cary hill