The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

I don't think it will be that many. But Mark Lawrenson is predicting a win for Arsenal so Sutton are in with a really good chance.

Speaking as someone who was on the away end terrace in '89 the last time they shocked a 'top flight team', it aint gonna happen tonight.

Edited by gwrrob

My favourite image from the Sutton United v Arsenal F.A.Cup tie:

post-9751-0-70377600-1487631191.jpg

Sutton's reserve keeper finding time to eat another pie during the match after Sutton had made their final substitution.and he knew his services would not be required.

• Like 1

Watching tonight's match pre-amble it was mentioned that, as a kid, the reserve goalie, Wayne Shaw, had played in the same team as Alan Shearer, waving at Shearer up in the commentary box.

Shearer said, in good humour, something like, 'we both went on to seek and achieve our goals, me in the premier league and Wayne at Burgerland'.

The Magic of the Cup, classic,

Edited by Arthur

Watching tonight's match pre-amble it was mentioned that, as a kid, the reserve goalie, Wayne Shaw, had played in the same team as Alan Shearer, waving at Shearer up in the commentary box.

Shearer said, in good humour, something like, 'we both went on to seek and achieve our goals, me in the premier league and Wayne at Burgerland'.

The Magic of the Cup, classic,

I think I'd prefer to hear Wayne Shaw's punditry..... :)

I once read a discussion, partly serious, about the possibility of genetic engineering being used to develop athletes with specific characteristics for specific sports and specific positions within team sports. One of the non-serious suggestions thrown in at the end was creation of a goalkeeper who completely filled an (ice) hockey goal. Is this an early prototype?

Edited by pH

I always wondered who the song 'Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies' was about.

Even though the Sutton guys were far from overweight, there was a visible difference in body shape between the Sutton players and the finely tuned athletes of the Premier League.  

The reserve goalkeeper made my night.  What a character.... :D

I always wondered who the song 'Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies' was about.

Even though the Sutton guys were far from overweight, there was a visible difference in body shape between the Sutton players and the finely tuned athletes of the Premier League..... :D

I think that is why local non-League football does reasonably well under the circumstances. The players look more like you and me, and hold down regular jobs outside of the pitch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For me, what a match like yesterday shows (the reserve goalkeeper excepted) is that there really is not much difference between the part-time non-league players and the colossally overpaid premiership "stars". If you could take those non-league guys and train them all week, they could probably do just as well at a fraction of the price.

I don't wish Sutton's first choice goalkeeper any harm but it would have been interesting to see Wayne Shaw play. Maybe I could have been a better goalkeeper than I ever thought.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifshaw4.jpg

Sutton's reserve keeper finding time to eat another pie during the match after Sutton had made their final substitution.and he knew his services would not be required.

A variation on 'parking the bus'?

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifshaw4.jpg

Apparently this was a stunt and odds had been offered. He may be in trouble with the FA.

A pity really as it did make funny viewing.

• RMweb Gold

Apparently this was a stunt and odds had been offered. He may be in trouble with the FA.

A pity really as it did make funny viewing.

If bookies are daft enough to offer odds on something like this (and they were also Sutton's shirt sponsor for the night), they deserve to lose some money. I don't see why the FA should get involved. After all, he would have influenced the result just as much by not eating the pie. He can't win in that situation.

I don't see how you can offer odds on something which is entirely the choice of one person. He was completely free to choose to eat a pie or not, he wasn't competing in anything. Once he knew the bets were on where's the element of chance?

Is there any footage of Sutton's reserve 'keeper actually playing in a regular match? There must be something on YouTube....

There is some footage of him playing for Eastleigh a few years ago, but given recent developments this "Sun" footage shows him making his valedictory saves in a "penalty shootout" with Ian Wright:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/football/ian-wright-takes-penalties-against-britains-biggest-keeper-sutton-united-legend-wayne-shaw/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sad to hear that he has been pushed to resign over this. Distinct humour bypass on somebody's part.

So far as I can see, he did not encourage the bookies to offer this daft bet.

There must be more to this than meets the pie.