The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Yes what happened to the BBC's idea of "We'll pick a non-league club and follow them until they're knocked out and then follow the winner of that until they are knocked out, etc ,etc."

Much more interesting and better for the clubs involved.

And I say that as a West Ham supporter.

Rob

remember sports report on the old radio 2 pre 5live days doing wembley to wembley where they started at wembleyfc in the preliminary rounds and followed which ever team won the tie all the way to the final think one reporter did all the reports late 80s iirc

• RMweb Premium

I see West Ham are the first Premier League club this season to opt for a Premiership survival campaign in preference to chasing transitory F.A..Cup glory. :jester:

That's the only good thing that came out of last night.

Another dubious penalty decision. Man City were the better team but until that point we'd been in the game. Another decision for the 4th goal, a clear hand ball by Aguero not given by the ref's assistant. They get a corner and score.

Palace on Saturday will be interesting.

No guts, no glory.

Rob

Yes what happened to the BBC's idea of "We'll pick a non-league club and follow them until they're knocked out and then follow the winner of that until they are knocked out, etc ,etc."

Didn't know they had one! I remember Harriers run a few years ago where they beat Preston and Birmingham and were eventually knocked out at Agborough by West Ham... None were on the TV...

Another dubious penalty decision. Man City were the better team but until that point we'd been in the game. Another decision for the 4th goal, a clear hand ball by Aguero not given by the ref's assistant. They get a corner and score.

Split the pundits did that one, one saying it was definitely a pen the other not... Even watching the replays I can't decide, harsh I'd agree! I don't understand how you can be "in the game" and then completely collapse like that though, perhaps it was just a front! Never saw the handball when was that?

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Premium

Didn't go last night, I'm glad to say. Saw the whole debacle on TV - City were great and simply a class or two above the sad and sorry Hammers. A truly pathetic display, Sam Allardyce must be rubbing his hands in anticipation of 3 much needed points next weekend. Bringing Payet on when we were 4-0 down AND taking Carroll off at the same time - hardly tactical genius.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't know they had one! I remember Harriers run a few years ago where they beat Preston and Birmingham and were eventually knocked out at Agborough by West Ham... None were on the TV...

Split the pundits did that one, one saying it was definitely a pen the other not... Even watching the replays I can't decide, harsh I'd agree! I don't understand how you can be "in the game" and then completely collapse like that though, perhaps it was just a front! Never saw the handball when was that?

Handball just prior to the 4th goal. Aguero handballed it, in our area. The ball subsequently went out for a corner from which they score. Irrelevant to the overall result, but again had it been 1-0, completely changes the game.

This isn't "jumpers for goalposts", kick about in the park, this is top flight, serious money stuff. You have to get it right.

I don't like bad decisions for or against. They may balance out over seasons, the consequences do not.

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Didn't go last night, I'm glad to say. Saw the whole debacle on TV - City were great and simply a class or two above the sad and sorry Hammers. A truly pathetic display, Sam Allardyce must be rubbing his hands in anticipation of 3 much needed points next weekend. Bringing Payet on when we were 4-0 down AND taking Carroll off at the same time - hardly tactical genius.

We saw that tickets were still available on Thursday and thought about going. But given it was on TV and the weather forecast was for heavy rain, we decided against.

0-5 and a soaking wasn't my idea of a good night out.

Funny how things conspire, big Sam coming back to WHU at the very time we're not doing too well.

I'd hope we've enough to win it, but who's going to score the goals. After last night any thought Defoe had of coming has vanished.

What it is to be a WHU supporter.(50+ yrs)

Rob

Edit: Not sure how I managed to duplicate the post whilst editing, apologies. :scratchhead:

Edited by mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

It isn't even mentioned in the live commentary on the BBC website... Would be interesting to see it tho'!

I've looked at the short footage on the BBC sport site but it doesn't show the build up. It was mentioned in live commentary, but not in the post match dicussion by the pundits.

Rob

Brilliant result in the FA Cup today with a Derby side, weakened by injuries and suspensions, beating a decent strength West Brom side 2-1 after being a goal down. Fantastic display and a worthy test against the level of team we hope to be competing with soon. Even better that Forest went out and Lansbury did not play which means he won't be cup tied!

I see Klopp has got his just deserts for his extreme "dissing" of the F.A.Cup by selecting a team of ineffective schoolboys today and he now  gets the chance to visit Plymouth for the first time in his life.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that a request for a cross country photo shoot ?

Their corporate advertising department does seem to have strange ideas.

The scene: Liverpool's dressing room.

Look lads, I've negotiated a fabulous endorsement contract. It's for men's toiletries,

Wow. Is it Hugo Boss? Or Jean Paul Gaultier? I like Tommy Hilfiger. Nah, it should be Armani.

Er........ well actually......it's er....... Nivea.

Edited by BoD

you have to flip the last ten to find out who is wait till you see number one 

Yes he's a complete ringer, just like 2 others in top four, none of them scored a single league goal in any of the top four Divisions in their entire careers (might have got a Cup goal or two).

It's a bit like comparing chalk and cheese, if you're going to take goals scored in the Wiltshire League, Somerset Senior League, Dorset and District (Southern Section) league and the Western League Division 2 or the Greek Athenian or Isthmian Leagues, and equate them with goals scored in any of the top four Divisions.

Not sure about the credentials of the Cheltenham and Morecambe all time leading scorers either.

Just trying to give our own Arthur Chandler a "bump" up from 16th in the list  :jester:

Edited by cary hill

Cambridge United vs Leeds United on TV here at the moment. Takes me back, having stood on the terraces at both clubs many times in the (dim and distant) past.

Yes he's a complete ringer, just like 2 others in top four, none of them scored a single league goal in any of the top four Divisions in their entire careers (might have got a Cup goal or two).

It's a bit like comparing chalk and cheese, if you're going to take goals scored in the Wiltshire League, Somerset Senior League, Dorset and District (Southern Section) league and the Western League Division 2 or the Greek Athenian or Isthmian Leagues, and equate them with goals scored in any of the top four Divisions.

Not sure about the credentials of the Cheltenham and Morecambe all time leading scorers either.

Just trying to give our own Arthur Chandler a "bump" up from 16th in the list  :jester:

Yes, taking goals scored only as a league club Cheltenham and Morecambe would not count, and neither would Wimbledon, Crawley, Newport, Burton, Cambridge and Stevenage,

and the Oxford and Fleetwood top scorers would have spent some seasons as a non-league player.

It is also possible though that for some clubs their 2nd (or 3rd) highest all time goal scorer would have scored many more than other clubs top scorers,

cheers

World Cup 2026 is going to have 48 teams starting in 16 groups of 3.

Good idea or bad?

Good idea as FIFA have finally realised the more teams they have competing the more brown envelopes they will receive which can only be good for the image of football.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Edited by cary hill