The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I've also heard Plymouth v Portsmouth described as the "South Coast Derby".

Never mind that Portsmouth is closer to Birmingham than it is to Plymouth...

It is sometimes known as the Dockyard Derby, though they are 172 miles apart.

Yesterday Exeter City played one of their 'local' derbys against Cheltenham, a mere 117 miles away!

A 3 - 1 away wins means we now have 23 points, 21 gained away from home, with 2 home points gained from a pair of 0 - 0 draws,

cheers

Anyone remember how football used to be?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

My old man happened to watch that one, and he couldn't believe that was Leicester; they were that bad.

Mind you, it's a bit difficult if you don't have Kanté anymore.

As Robert Huth was saying yesterday Kante is the best player of his type in the Premiership, able screen the defence very effectively and launch swift counterattacks as opportunity arises, whilst doing the legwork of two players.

Edited by cary hill

As Robert Huth was saying yesterday Kante is the best player of his type in the Premiership, able screen the defence very effectively and launch swift counterattacks as opportunity arises, whilst doing the legwork of two players.

And his departure from the King Power may have a lot to do with why Leicester have struggled so much this season whilst Chelsea have massively improved.

Small matter of the East Midlands / A52 Derby today. Important to many and crucial in our household. I will be heading off to Pride Park shortly to join the home fans whilst Sarah will stay at home, supporting the other lot, in front of the television. Difficult game to call as both are on winning runs. Derby have struggled to score at times this season but have not conceded many. Forest score loads, but concede plenty. Form goes out of the window in the madness of these games it could be 0-0 or 4-4. Usually there are controversial decisions and the a red card or two. Some fans look forward to these games, but I hate them as there is rarely any quality football and there is an underlying sinister undercurrent amongst the hard core idiots that mix in with the normal fans of both sides. The only game I enjoyed was when we battered them 5-0 a few years ago. A repeat would be fantastic, but I am not confident this morning. Time will tell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

3-0; job done.

Move from 10th to 5th above Leeds :onthequiet: 

Shows how close the Championship is.

Just back from Pride Park. Always nice to spank the red dogs. A very nice early Christmas present.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've also heard Plymouth v Portsmouth described as the "South Coast Derby".

Never mind that Portsmouth is closer to Birmingham than it is to Plymouth...

It is sometimes known as the Dockyard Derby, though they are 172 miles apart.

It is the Royal Naval dockyard connection which makes this a 'derby'. Nothing to do with locale.

The South Coast derby involves Portsmouth and Southampton (although also can include Bournemouth and Brighton).

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

That was an enjoyable afternoon. Derby 3 Forest 0. We got a bit of luck in the first half with an own goal and they certainly shaded the first half. Second half we bossed it and could have scored more than the two further goals we scored. That result makes it six straight wins and takes us in to the top six with the same players that struggled under Pearson. It just goes to show that he was never the right man for the job.

I must admit I am so glad I am not a Forest fan. I would be embarrassed by their performance. First half they were obviously taking tips from the diving Lansbury such was the amount of rolling around from the red shirted visitors. As for their capitulation in the second half, they appeared clueless. This fixture has cost many a manager their job in recent years, I wonder if another one will be collecting his p45 shortly.

• RMweb Gold

They have left it very late to go top of the table, though.

As a Sunderland supporter I think it would be fair to say that if we don't beat Chelsea on Wednesday that's our chances of the title gone for this season.

There are three certainties in life - death taxes and Arsenal drawing Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

A pity really as we are stuck with Sevilla, the team I least wanted of the six we could have drawn.

Winning the Europa League for the last three years suggests they are a very consistent side, not a good sign for a very erratic Leicester City side.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

As a Sunderland supporter I think it would be fair to say that if we don't beat Chelsea on Wednesday that's our chances of the title gone for this season.

You've had a couple of wins in recent years, but historically!

http://www.11v11.com/teams/sunderland/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Chelsea/

Is anyone else getting the impression that a certain Mr. Guardiola might be going from hero to zero?

On his way to zero I'd say based on his planning, preparation and tactics last Saturday.

I think Guardiola must have refused to watch any videos of Leicester's matches from last season, when they tore badly organised teams apart, and not noticed how most teams this season have managed to negate them by defending much deeper.

On the other hand maybe did he watch a video but was just so arrogant so as to ignore it, or had decided, in his philosophical wisdom,that he would play exactly into Leicester's hands and still win. That would prove his genius.

Everything Man City did, every part of their game plan, gave Leicester the freedom to play to their strengths and hurt the visitors at every opportunity.

They held a ridiculously high line, allowing Vardy to punish them in behind, when every other opponent this season has sat on the edge of their box.

Man City were the first team to let Mahrez get into one-on-one situations, when other teams have double or triple-marked him. Mahrez ripped them apart.

And don't get me started on the calamitous Claudio Bravo and Stones comedy duo trying to play it out from the back the Guardiola way - there's nothing wrong with Row Z, it's preferable to conceding a 4th goal.

But there is no way Bournemouth will be as obliging as Pep's men tonight, Eddie Howe will not give Vardy space in behind or leave Mahrez unmarked

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

I don't tend to post on here as Birmingham City fan (most people say I know nothing about football), but the sacking of Gary Rowett sums up today's game. A manager that has had no money to spend, and built a team that is playing reasonably good football and punching above their weight in the championship this season. As always, a new foreign owner wants their own people and again the fans, the heart of any club are forgotten about. 

It's absolute madness. 

But on a positive note, a big congratulations to my home town club Stourbridge for reaching the 3rd Round of the Cup. Up the Glassboys!!!

i have corrected this for you  :derisive:

Peanuts you are showing your age  :senile:

Another 3 points so the chase is on - oh and Leicester should have kept Chris Wood, although I am pleased they didn't.

I don't tend to post on here as Birmingham City fan (most people say I know nothing about football), but the sacking of Gary Rowett sums up today's game. A manager that has had no money to spend, and built a team that is playing reasonably good football and punching above their weight in the championship this season. As always, a new foreign owner wants their own people and again the fans, the heart of any club are forgotten about. 

It's absolute madness. 

But on a positive note, a big congratulations to my home town club Stourbridge for reaching the 3rd Round of the Cup. Up the Glassboys!!!

I blame Chinese football club owners and their obsession with former "big name" Italian Internationals who do not seem to necessarily make good managers in lower leagues.

I see Birmingham City are getting Zola on board.

Zenga and Di Matteo have already gone this season and Pulis needs to watch out if Rowett's treatment is anything to go by. Is this purely a West Midlands nonsense or have the Chinese decided that the West Midlands will become the Chinese football powerhouse.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

I blame Chinese football club owners and their obsession with former "big name" Italian Internationals who do not seem to necessarily make good managers in lower leagues.

I see Birmingham City are getting Zola on board.

Zenga and Di Matteo have already gone this season and Pulis needs to watch out if Rowett's treatment is anything to go by. Is this purely a West Midlands nonsense or have the Chinese decided that the West Midlands will become the Chinese football powerhouse.

talking of birmingham city thier youth side were playing oldham athletic in the fa youth cup tonight winning 4-1 two youngsters came off the bench for Oldham messrs scholes and sheriden both apparently chips off the oldblock from there respective farthers according to reports 

It's absolute madness. 

Agreed,

that is 20 clubs now with new managers since the start of the season.

55 clubs have a manager who have not been at the club for a year, how can anyone expect to be able to develop a team under those conditions?

cheers 

It is the Royal Naval dockyard connection which makes this a 'derby'. Nothing to do with locale.

The South Coast derby involves Portsmouth and Southampton (although also can include Bournemouth and Brighton).

In that case, what does the word "derby" mean? Just "match", I guess, unless it has connotations of a keen rivalry.

The word Derby / derby for matches between teams of local rivals was taken from the annual Shrovetide football match which takes place in Ashbourne, Derbyshire each year. Two teams from each end of the town the "Uppards" and the "Downards" compete to try and goal the special ball against one of the goal posts that are approximately 4 miles apart at each ends of the town. Two games take place each year on Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday with the ball "turned up" by a variety of local celebs and royalty. Shops are boarded up and closed and the roads are shut with scenes resembling the after math of many footballing "derby" as hundreds, possibly thousands, of people compete.