The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

just heard the sad news that former Oldham Athletic player and manger JimmyFrizzel has passed away this morning 

rip Jimmy a true Latics legend 20 years of service to the club will never be forgotton 

Amen to that! Dragged them from re-election certainties to a club established in Division 2, never, apart from his last season, finishing in a position lower than the previous one

• RMweb Gold

I am amazed at all the fuss that people are making about losing one match. Let's have a bit of a reality check here.

Iceland were rated at 33 in the world before the tournament. They got a draw against Portugal.

This is really about the equivalent to a Premiership side losing an FA Cup tie to a team in the lower reaches of the Championship, really not that remarkable.

Adding to the stats, I saw in my Sunday paper that Iceland had beaten Holland home and away during qualifying. That's the Holland who have done rather more in international tournaments since 1966 than England.

So, yes, England were pretty dreadful at 2016 Euros despite (or perhaps because of) qualifying so easily. But it is not quite the awful disaster that some make it out to be.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't laughed so much in years.

Surely, after that, the football authorities will get rid of the spot-kick shootout as a way of deciding qualification. It is a serious embarrassment to the professional game that highly-paid, supposedly top players can't hit the target unless they choose the easy option of banging it down the middle, as some of the Italians wisely did.

Hope Mourinho was watching and made a note never to ask Schweinsteiger to take a penalty. What a feeble effort that was which should have won the match!

And if I were Chelsea, I would be really worried about the new manager. Brings on a player (ZaZa) in the 119th minute specifically for the shoot-out. Said player apparently a professional dancer rather than footballer. He would have done better to bring on Zsa Zsa Gabor.

....And if I were Chelsea, I would be really worried about the new manager. Brings on a player (ZaZa) in the 119th minute specifically for the shoot-out. Said player apparently a professional dancer rather than footballer. He would have done better to bring on Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Strictly Bum Dancing?

• Like 1

Surely, after that, the football authorities will get rid of the spot-kick shootout as a way of deciding qualification. It is a serious embarrassment to the professional game that highly-paid, supposedly top players can't hit the target unless they choose the easy option of banging it down the middle, as some of the Italians wisely did.

Hope Mourinho was watching and made a note never to ask Schweinsteiger to take a penalty. What a feeble effort that was which should have won the match!

And if I were Chelsea, I would be really worried about the new manager. Brings on a player (ZaZa) in the 119th minute specifically for the shoot-out. Said player apparently a professional dancer rather than footballer. He would have done better to bring on Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Quite an interesting site - http://www.penaltyshootouts.co.uk/index.html

This guy has suggested just about every possible alternative to the shootout, although if you are an England fan I would stay away from the statistics page doesn't made good reading.

Jim

Adding to the stats, I saw in my Sunday paper that Iceland had beaten Holland home and away during qualifying. That's the Holland who have done rather more in international tournaments since 1966 than England.

So, yes, England were pretty dreadful at 2016 Euros despite (or perhaps because of) qualifying so easily. But it is not quite the awful disaster that some make it out to be.

But England is the Home of Football with the Best League in the World, and we therefore have a God-given right to win every tournament. In fact, we should be awarded automatic qualification, a bye to the Final and a 2-goal head start (and even then we probably wouldn't win much).

and finnaly the protacted manager hunt at ice station zebra looks to have come to an end with northern Ireland and Motherwell assistant coach Steve Robinson set to be unvieled tommorow 

saddley Peter Shirtliff has left the club for personal reasons 

first friendly in ten days a squad of five professionals welcome Steve think your going to be a very busy man !

I would like to apologise to all the Welshmen here for the British (English) media now saying, in effect, "Let's support Wales as they are a British team." It's a Welsh team and they deserve all the credit they get.

steve (Married to a Scot who gets very cross when Scotsman Andy Murray is called British because he's doing well.)

• RMweb Gold

Living in England might have something to do with it, but I was surprised at the media bias towards England before the Wales/England game. Not just locally, but on the national football shows and the daily papers.

I think had England played well, there would have been far more sympathy from the Welsh & Irish, but their overall performance was woefully down on expectations - many of the players being from club teams the Welsh & Irish fans support throughout the season.

Hoping for a win tonight, just hoping.

I would like to apologise to all the Welshmen here for the British (English) media now saying, in effect, "Let's support Wales as they are a British team." It's a Welsh team and they deserve all the credit they get....

They will certainly be Welsh if they lose.....

Well Done Wales, a great effort and you have done yourselves, your countrymen and all of us proud.

Kept some real interest in the competition for the rest of us. We still had a horse in the race long after our own was off to the knackers....

• Like 3

They've done it again!!!

How the bl00dy hell do Portugal manage it. They drift through tournament after tournament, doing just enough to jammy a win and end up in the final!!!! It's just unbelievable :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Ok so Wales weren't brilliant tonight, they really did miss Ramsey, but they were at least equal to Portugal, great header from Ronaldo and a bit of luck for Nani and it's game over. I do feel for Wales they were just 1/2 a pace, not even 1/2 a yard, slower than Portugal to the 2nd ball, and inches can change matches, (Just remember Gazza against Germany in Euro96).

Ahh well onto the the World Cup in 2018 now then in Russia, if it's still going to be held there, but that's a whole different story.

Weel done to Wales for getting so far and as far as England are concerned, pull your flaming socks up :angry:

Anyway the Leagues start soon......

Come on Foxes, let's not get relegated ;)  ;)

regards

Neal.

Wales have laid down great foundations for the future .... their success in the Euros will reap many rewards "and I speak as an Englishman who has now spent a 3rd of my life in the Principality, and I follow a 3rd tier English football league club", so you imagine being a young up and coming footballer who has duel nationality Parents or Grandparents, you can either play for Ingerland U16''s or Wales U16's, but look beyond that, when watching some of the lower league players performing so well for Wales in this Euro's many younger players may think I will have some of them will opt for their Welsh genes, I am one looking forward to the World Cup qualifiers for Wales in Sept 16

Gary Speed did a lot of the groundwork in this team, and Chris Coleman carried it on admirably, so well done to Wales all round, semi finalist Euros 2016 with such a mixed level of playing squad .... together stronger !!!

Dda iawn Cymru

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

Gary Speed did a lot of the groundwork in this team, and Simon Coleman carried it on admirably, so well done to Wales all round, semi finalist Euros 2016 with such a mixed level of playing squad .... together stronger !!!

Dda iawn Cymru

Craig.

Assisted by his twin brother, Chris Coleman ?

I can't understand why France didn't pick Europe's leading tackler, interception maker and general recycler of the ball tonight.They could be useful attributes playing against the Germans.

At the end of the day, it's not like they needed him!

So, as we British usually cheer for the underdogs, and usually cheer against France, will we be supporting Portugal ???

Except I could not support any team that includes the over gelled, winking, strutting, peacock!!

I must admit I paid little attention to the Germany v France game. I lost all interest in the tournament when Wales went out. I don't think the competition has been particularly good. The French probably deserve to win as the most consistent team. However I do not feel we have seen that much quality football. I can't think of a decent game across the whole tournament. England's first 45 minutes v Russia and Wales' entire 90 minutes against the same team have been the most entertaining.

Wales may have been seen as the tournament surprise, although Iceland probably claim that crown - sadly achieved through very negative football. Their approach reminded me of how Greece won the competition a few years ago.

There have been a few good goals - Shaquiri's goal for Switzerland v Poland being the standout strike. Payet's first two goals, Modric's strike v Turkey and a couple of Bale free kicks are perhaps the pick of the bunch.

All in all though, an underwhelming tournament.

Edited by andyram

and finnaly the protacted manager hunt at ice station zebra looks to have come to an end with northern Ireland and Motherwell assistant coach Steve Robinson set to be unvieled tommorow 

saddley Peter Shirtliff has left the club for personal reasons 

first friendly in ten days a squad of five professionals welcome Steve think your going to be a very busy man !

and hes still not officialy signed due to wait for it ........... the club solicitor being on his holidays !  you just could not make this up the terms pissup & brewery come to mind when talking about the board at Oldham  oh well first friendly in a week and still only six  sorry five  oops i mean four full time professionals on the books