The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Like you voted out of the Home International Championship all those years ago, because the competition (Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales) weren't good enough....... and Wales promptly gave England a sound beating 4-1 at The Racecourse !

As an outsider, England's problems appear to start with the media, whose hype the players and supporters end up believing.

But that's just one of my views.

I think that you are right, at least in part.

We have this over-riding fear of being drawn against who we consider to be the top teams. The media seemed to be relieved that we managed to avoid even Portugal, and this is a regular occurrence.

That negative attitude must attach itself to the players, who then appear to play in a way that will not have them trashed individually by the newspapers and tv when each match is over.

There is also the problem of the sports journalists wanting to pick the manager and team they want, and continuously undermining the squad if/when their favourite player is not chosen.

We rarely seem to be able to play as a team, and as Chris Waddle (I think) said, everything about the FA and the England set-up is conducted in secret. The players are only rarely allowed to speak to the media in case they say something that would be picked on by the hungry pack, training is conducted in secret, and the tactics (or lack of them) are kept secret too.

There is no enthusiastic engagement with the fans at any time. Everyone involved seems to hide away as much as possible except for a few highly staged press conferences.

I wish I had the answer to this, but it seems to be in the English sporting psyche. Build the promising talent up to un-achievable proportions and then slag them off relentlessly when they fail to come up to those ridiculous expectations.

• Like 2

Next England Manager:

Gareth Southgate 6/4

Alan Pardew          8/1

Eddie Howe          10/1

Gary Neville          14/1

Jurgen Klinsmann 16/1

Harry Redknapp    16/1

Brendan Rodgers  18/1

Arsene Wenger      20/1

Sam Allardyce          22/1

Glenn Hoddle           25/1

Slaven Bilic              28/1

Manuel Pellegrini     28/1

Steve Bruce             28/1

Mauricio Pochettino  33/1   

Gary Monk                33/1

Raphael Benitez       33/1

Eddie Howe it is then. I don't he's failed anywhere yet, although I believe he didn't enjoy his spell exiled to Winterfell Burnley and he's not a senile serial meddler.....yet.....

You've missed out Gustavo Poyet and Tim Sherwood. The squad needs more "pashun".

Also, Paolo di Canio.

Edited by Horsetan

To quote Red Dwarf: What a steaming pile of Hotspur

another bad FB meme going around: I just bought vol 2 of Bonny Tyler's greatest goaltending blunders. It was totally clips of Joe Hart.

Edited by AndrewC

• RMweb Gold

..never have so few, taken so much and given so little..

Kev.

(With apologies to all the past brave souls.) 

"He’s spent four years building a team and from the position he inherited it to the team today, it’s a much stronger team and a much stronger setup."

F.A.Chief Executive Martin Glenn on Hodgson

That is a joke .......isn't it...........?

Glenn and some bloke called Ashworth will "choose" the next England manager. Apparently Ashworth made his name at WBA that doesn't bode well.....

• RMweb Gold

What's the criteria for the job exactly. A part time dentist got his side to the quarters so perhaps we should be head hunting in Harley Street and pay on results.

What's the criteria for the job exactly. A part time dentist got his side to the quarters so perhaps we should be head hunting in Harley Street and pay on results.

Yeah let's bring back the Dentist's Chair it nearly worked in 1996.

Edited by cary hill

Having calmed down a little since last night, Roy actually got tantalisingly close to achieving  the F.A.minimum requirement of reaching the Euro 2016 Quarter Finals as England finished 9th chronologically....or should that be chronically 9th?

"He’s spent four years building a team and from the position he inherited it to the team today, it’s a much stronger team and a much stronger setup."

F.A.Chief Executive Martin Glenn on Hodgson

That is a joke .......isn't it...........?

Glenn and some bloke called Ashworth will "choose" the next England manager. Apparently Ashworth made his name at WBA that doesn't bode well.....

Martin Glenn is also quoted in this morning's papers as saying "I don't consider myself a football expert".

Which just about sums things up.

Maybe he is an expert on gourmet dinners, 5 star hotels, and executive boxes? Which is all that seems to matter in the higher sporting echelons.

Yes, Gareth Southgate and all that.

The same Gareth Southgate who The Times seem to favour as candidate for next England manager, with Alan Shearer as his Assistant. Shearer, who makes no secret of the fact that he really really wants this poisoned chalice, won't take kindly to having to play second fiddle.

I can't wait to see if Private Eye magazine takes a view on this, but they've got their hands full of satirical possibilities given events in the last week or so! 

• RMweb Gold

The same Gareth Southgate who The Times seem to favour as candidate for next England manager, with Alan Shearer as his Assistant. Shearer, who makes no secret of the fact that he really really wants this poisoned chalice, won't take kindly to having to play second fiddle.

I can't wait to see if Private Eye magazine takes a view on this, but they've got their hands full of satirical possibilities given events in the last week or so! 

post-7025-0-12713100-1467199023.jpg

Dan Ashworth, who will help choose the next England manager, with his England DNA blueprint to improve the England team:

post-9751-0-22096300-1467200727.jpg

Straplines ....."Evolving...Developing ...Winning....."

Going quite well then.....

Martin Glenn's background is working for Cadbury's, & Walkers amongst others. Clearly just the man to select an England Team's Football manager.He will be quoted as saying we are looking to appoint someone with a "Sweet" personality who is also a "Crisp" disciplarian.

Martin Glenn's background is working for Cadbury's, & Walkers amongst others. Clearly just the man to select an England Team's Football manager.He will be quoted as saying we are looking to appoint someone with a "Sweet" personality who is also a "Crisp" disciplarian.

His appointment of Gary Lineker as the "face" of Walkers Crisps worked out quite well. Still going strong after 21 years but I suppose the next England manager will be lucky to last 21 months.

• RMweb Premium

"Being an England supporter is like being the over-optimistic parents of the fat kid on sports day" - apparently a quote by comedian John Bishop (can't be absolutely sure, I read it on a footy fan website).

Just about says it all.

I am afraid that Poland were never going to win that shoot out. Fabianski never looked like saving a penalty. He stood like a statue, bent over as if badly needing a sh#t before diving the wrong way for every effort. Surely a goalkeeper should make themselves look as big as possible, and move around on the line to try and put off the striker. That would make the goal look as small a target as possible. Tonight the goal looked as big as the Grand Canyon!

The late, great Don Bradman may have been the originator of the above joke when someone in the 1980s asked him how many he would score against the then current England cricket team and he reckoned 70 or so and when asked was that all he replied "....well you got to remember I am in my late 70s...."

So Portugal have reached the semi finals but are yet to win any game in 90 minutes. The only match they have actually won, excluding penalties, was with a 117th minute strike being their first attempt on target of the game.

Don't quite know what that says about the rest of the competition.