The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Football Association of Wales made £20,000 profit last year....

Wales progress in the competition thus far has netted the FAW £11.3million...

This'll really help our grassroots football unearth a couple more Gareth Bales...

Roll on Friday!!!

Randall

• Like 2

Football Association of Wales made £20,000 profit last year....

Wales progress in the competition thus far has netted the FAW £11.3million...

This'll really help our grassroots football unearth a couple more Gareth Bales...

Roll on Friday!!!

Randall

Well at least someone's happy.

• RMweb Gold

I arrived at the pub 7 minutes late, 1-1 already! Doh!

I watched the rest of the game more and more dispassionately whilst everyone else got increasingly wound up.

What I saw was a team with the bus/sledge parked up in front of the goal and every out fielder fighting for every ball as if this was their last game.

England passed, pressed forward and attacked countless times. Sometimes they were ok/good, but...

...England's defending was selfish.

Selfish in that every (defending) player was too scared to tackle. They ALL stood off and made space for the attacking player!!!

They were ALL thinking of THEMSELVES by not wanting to risk actually defending, and possibly getting a yellow card, thus (god/agent forbid) not letting them play in the next round.

This, coupled with the fact that we couldn't pass the ball OR make space, (let alone use it), resulted in the performance seen tonight.

The next manager should instill in the next squad that “if they don't take on 'their man', then there out of the next game” anyway.

Kev.

Apparently because he was the best taker of them in the squad :O  And when he got his opportunities at goal he fluffed them. On that basis have to have some sympathy with Hodgson, the only thing I thought he got wrong was not bringing Rashford on earlier - it was hardly Hodgsons fault the players forgot they should move off the ball or pass accurately; wonder if UEFA log data of over hit, under hit or miss hit passes etc as England must have broke all the records.

England made 551 passes with an 86% accuracy rate....most of them backwards or sideways....

More interesting are the shot conversion rates  - England 5% (4 attempts out of 18 on target - 1 goal(pen) and Iceland 25% (5 attempts out of 8 on target - 2 goals)

Next England Manager:

Gareth Southgate 6/4

Alan Pardew          8/1

Eddie Howe          10/1

Gary Neville          14/1

Jurgen Klinsmann 16/1

Harry Redknapp    16/1

Brendan Rodgers  18/1

Arsene Wenger      20/1

Sam Allardyce          22/1

Glenn Hoddle           25/1

Slaven Bilic              28/1

Manuel Pellegrini     28/1

Steve Bruce             28/1

Mauricio Pochettino  33/1   

Gary Monk                33/1

Raphael Benitez       33/1

Eddie Howe it is then. I don't think he's failed anywhere yet, although I believe he didn't enjoy his spell exiled to Winterfell Burnley and he's not a senile serial meddler.....yet.....

Edited by cary hill

Not in any of Englands Euro matches did I think that England ever really created clear scoring chances, they just never looked to be a threat.

They were pedestrian, lacking flair and no individual looked like a goal scoring threat.

Why he bothered bringing on Rashford with 5 minutes to go I have no idea. During his brief time on the field, with his runs down the left and into the box, he was the only player who looked exciting, skilful and who might actually create a goal scoring opportunity.

He should have been brought on much sooner.

Dreadful.

• RMweb Gold

Once more England have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory........

Rob.

At the end of the day the England team is not good enough. Once again we come to the lack of quality players in the English league. If you look at the 23 players who went, some were clearly not good enough - Wilshire, Henderson, Sturridge, Smalling amongst those who are not international class. The back four was suspect before the tournament and there is no real quality to bring in - aside from an inexperienced John Stones and an ageing Leighton Baines can anyone name another defender who is anywhere near good enough? I certainly can't!

The midfield lacked balance. Rooney is not, and never will be a midfield playmaker. It was a mistake to play him there. It was also a mistake to leave Rashford on the bench so much. He added spark against Wales and during his farcically short cameo last night.

I can see us struggling to qualify for the World Cup. I am sure Kane and Ali will develop into good England players over time but alongside them who? Rashford, maybe, if he continues his development, Dier perhaps as he emerged with some credit from the tournament if not last night. But beyond that there is not much quality out there.

Further years in the wilderness awaits - let's save ourselves the pain and vote ourselves out of FIFA and UEFA and play on our own (we will probably still lose).

Before the match, I was already flabbergasted  at Hodgsons's blind insistence in continuing to play Sturbridge, despite not performing so far and having been out for a long time through injury and suffering a lack of form for over a year or more.

Apart from popping up and scoring the winner against Wales, he looked totally disinterested  and lacking in any sort of drive or conviction during all his time on the pitch.

Sterling too.

Good for 4 minutes, until he got the penalty, then another headless chicken until substituted.

...and not bringing on Rashford until it was too late ???????

Statto time.

Since 1966, the England football team have only beaten six teams in tournament knockout matches (i.e. not counting group games):-

Paraguay 1986, Belgium 1990, Cameroon 1990, Spain 1996, Denmark 2002, Ecuador 2006. Six knockout victories in half a century. Draw your own conclusions....

• RMweb Gold

The English FA have already sent their scouts out to find a new manager it's rumoured they are trawling at this very moment the nation's care homes. 

• RMweb Premium

Southgate seems to be a front runner for the job - how about having him in charge with David Batty as his assistant - real pair of winners there.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Statto time.

Since 1966, the England football team have only beaten six teams in tournament knockout matches (i.e. not counting group games):-

Paraguay 1986, Belgium 1990, Cameroon 1990, Spain 1996, Denmark 2002, Ecuador 2006. Six knockout victories in half a century. Draw your own conclusions.

What percentage of those games have they failed to score?

Further years in the wilderness awaits - let's save ourselves the pain and vote ourselves out of FIFA and UEFA and play on our own (we will probably still lose).

Like you voted out of the Home International Championship all those years ago, because the competition (Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales) weren't good enough....... and Wales promptly gave England a sound beating 4-1 at The Racecourse !

As an outsider, England's problems appear to start with the media, whose hype the players and supporters end up believing.

But that's just one of my views.

• RMweb Premium

Towards the end of the whole abject mess, the camera cut to Hodgson talking to one of his assistants, didn't notice who it was. I'd like to know what he was saying - perhaps something like "are the bags packed and in the car? Tank full? OK, see you at the exit in 10 minutes".

I am a West Ham fan so obviously I have a biased view, but surely Andy Carroll coming on for the second half would have given us more of a chance! Apparently he was ignored because of his injury record - so what about Wilshere?

• RMweb Premium

The English FA have already sent their scouts out to find a new manager it's rumoured they are trawling at this very moment the nation's care homes. 

Perhaps bring Fergie out of retirement? As a Scot, he'd do his worst for England! A bit of reverse psychiatry for the players - nothing else has worked for 50 years.