The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

The story goes that when Ranieri took over at Leicester during the "Great Escape" season, he was all ready to start tinkering. It took a deputation from Leicester's senior players to convince him to let them play the way they wanted, and not the way he had in mind.

If Ranieri does get his manager's award, it should be for the fortitude and restraint he has shown! It must have gone against his natural instincts not to tinker.

Yes,but when he was at Chelsea he had a large squad of top class players to keep happy.  With respect to Leicester City that's not the case.

I really hope they win the title it can only be good for English football.

• RMweb Gold

And even if Leicester fade and fail to win the title, which I sincerely hope they don't, he still deserves all the accolades going for what he has done and giving us a most interesting season.

Even those fans of the 'big' clubs with inflated feelings of self entitlement wouldn't disagree. Or would they?

Whenever you see him being interviewed, Ranieri always has a smile on his face, jokes with the press, etc., as well he might, given his club's position; but to me, he's doing the classic coaches' ploy of deflecting the pressure from the team onto himself. Also, if he's like that around the team, they can't have many problems, either.

Yes,but when he was at Chelsea he had a large squad of top class players to keep happy.  With respect to Leicester City that's not the case.

Or is it because Chelsea's top class players didn't really put together their own playing style which they knew would work and were willing to protect against the tinkerings of the manager?

• Like 1

And even if Leicester fade and fail to win the title, which I sincerely hope they don't, he still deserves all the accolades going for what he has done and giving us a most interesting season.

They're actually getting slightly stronger as the season goes on in terms of points gained per game.

Half way mark: P 19 W 11 D 6 L 2 F 37 A 25 PTS 39

Since then        P 13 W 9   D 3 L 1 F 18 A   6 PTS 30

Those exciting but very loose displays when we used to come back from 2-0 down to snatch a late victory or draw are long gone and have been replaced by much more solid and pragmatic displays.

Can they continue in the same vein until the end of the season - who knows?

I don't like tempting fate like this though:

post-9751-0-11194400-1459775823.jpg

Obviously far too young a fan to remember Leicester City's long tradition of always falling short when it really matters. Come the middle of May I really hope the scarf doesn't end up in a textile recycling bin.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 3

I see Jack Wilshere has made yet another wise selection from his " Things I like to do (often) list ":

Nightclub brawl

Have a few fags

Spit on a taxi driver

Tweet about iffy betting

Have some fags

Make obscene gesture to opposition fans

Have some more fags outside a nightclub

Chant obscenely about Spurs

Have some fags in Las Vegas

Have a go with shisha pipe in a nightclub

Chant obscenely about Spurs again

Have even more fags

Nightclub brawl.......

....and Hodgson is depending on Wilshere for Euro glory.....

Edited by cary hill

....Can they continue in the same vein until the end of the season - who knows?...

Obviously far too young a fan to remember Leicester City's long tradition of always falling short when it really matters. ....

It's not a title for the other teams to win, but rather it's Leicester's to lose. If they can replicate the hungry desperation of last season's Great Escape, there'll be no catching them either now or possibly even next season (assuming the squad resolve to stay together, keep the magic going, and not get poached by far wealthier clubs).

Not since Wimbledon's "Crazy Gang" days has a bargain basement team swept all before it. I'll buy the DVD film of Leicester's season if they ever make one.

I really wish I'd heard about the 5000-1 odds offered by Ladbrokes at the season's start; I might even have thought about having a go!

It seems even the referees are on Leicester's side and their decisions are influenced by the "romance" of the Foxes Premiership bid according to this ship of fools on BBC 5 live :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03q1f0n

Not surprised that Andy Townshend was involved in the discussion as nothing sensible ever comes out of his mouth, but I think the main reason referee Michael Oliver didn't give Southampton any penalties on Sunday was because they weren't penalties.

The whole programme was a hoot as they were also discussing what a "fairy tale" this season would have been for those £247 million pound spending cheapskates* at Spurs if Leicester's title challenge didn't exist.

No need to get so depressed chaps, it could still be Spurs' year when Leicester collapse....the Spurs story is good this season and they've probably played the best football, but it's not really a romantic fairy tale/miracle /impossible season 'cos I think there's a long term plan clearly in place.

*since 2012.

P.s  I know Spurs have discovered loads of excellent young players in recent years and are England in disguise at the moment.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

It's not a title for the other teams to win, but rather it's Leicester's to lose. If they can replicate the hungry desperation of last season's Great Escape, there'll be no catching them either now or possibly even next season (assuming the squad resolve to stay together, keep the magic going, and not get poached by far wealthier clubs).

Not since Wimbledon's "Crazy Gang" days has a bargain basement team swept all before it. I'll buy the DVD film of Leicester's season if they ever make one.

I really wish I'd heard about the 5000-1 odds offered by Ladbrokes at the season's start; I might even have thought about having a go!

Get your self down to the bookies now Horse.

I'm sure you will get very long odds on Newcastle winning the Prem' next year.

Just like Leicester had this time last year.

Kev.

• Like 1

Is it time to start a sweepstake on how long Conte will last at Chelski? 10 "permanent" managers and 2 interims in the Abramovich era though to be fair to him they had quite a turnover even before that.

post-9751-0-23861700-1459868652.jpg

At least Conte will be able to pass "Go" at Chelsea and collect £200 £6.5m per annum and seems like a good fit with Abramovich.

Have to have sympathies for fans of Bolton Wanderers today. Not many bothered to turn up for the final nails to be hammered in their coffin at the IPro Stadium yesterday. To be fair they probably knew what to expect. The Bolton players looked a beaten side from kick off and rarely offered anything. Even the referee took pity on them by gifting them a very dodgy penalty. They have had an awful season and will probably be relieved that they still have a club to watch, all be it in League 1 next season.

On the flip side four more goals scored by the Rams who seem to have woken up from their post Christmas slumber a little too late. Johnny Russell was on fire yesterday with two goals and two assists. He has been one of the few to play well all season. A play off place is almost secured now. It is little consolation as that squad should be comfortably in the top two. I cannot see us having the bottle for the play off lottery though.

Have to have sympathies for fans of Bolton Wanderers today. Not many bothered to turn up for the final nails to be hammered in their coffin at the IPro Stadium yesterday. To be fair they probably knew what to expect. The Bolton players looked a beaten side from kick off and rarely offered anything. Even the referee took pity on them by gifting them a very dodgy penalty. They have had an awful season and will probably be relieved that they still have a club to watch, all be it in League 1 next season.

On the flip side four more goals scored by the Rams who seem to have woken up from their post Christmas slumber a little too late. Johnny Russell was on fire yesterday with two goals and two assists. He has been one of the few to play well all season. A play off place is almost secured now. It is little consolation as that squad should be comfortably in the top two. I cannot see us having the bottle for the play off lottery though.

very little sympathy to be honest when you think it was their chairman a certain Mr Garside who at every opportunity was championing his pet project "prem 2 "  basically the current championship joining with the prem for all the ritches that entails but with NO promotion from the lower leagues hmmmm wonder if hes so keen now  they would be excludeed ?

very little sympathy to be honest when you think it was their chairman a certain Mr Garside who at every opportunity was championing his pet project "prem 2 "  basically the current championship joining with the prem for all the ritches that entails but with NO promotion from the lower leagues hmmmm wonder if hes so keen now  they would be excludeed ?

He probably doesn't care now as he passed away in February this year.

And since Mr Gartside died and no longer has any link to the club I find your post a little disrespectful to the club that remains and its supporters.

• Like 1