The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

I'm not a soccer person but watching the France - England highlights the other day I noticed England's anthem was God Save the Queen. Pardon my ignorance but I thought that was the UK anthem. Isn't Englands Land of Hope and Glory?

Regards, Les.

There isn't an "official" English National Anthem as far as I was aware. "Jerusalem" and "Land of Hope and Glory" have always been the two most likely to be used, I'd be hard pushed to choose between them! Perhaps if the Scots vote in the future to leave we may have to think about it again...

Jamie Vardy breaks the record for consecutive PL goals. This should please "cary hill" no end....

Just got back from witnessing the great event, just a pity that our inept defence gave Mr Pig Climber a free header to equalise right on half time.

Quite interesting to see one side playing a KISS style - Schmeichel-Fuchs-Vardy -Goal (not even 10 secs maximum) and the other side spending five minutes passing backwards,sideways,backwards,sideways for about 80 passes and then finishing with ballooned shot over the bar.

Manchester United have become turgid and unentertaining  and this probably explains why this match, record-breaking apart, was the dullest game of the season so far at the King Power.

Edited by cary hill

....one side playing a KISS style - Schmiechel-Fuchs-Vardy -Goal (not even 10 secs maximum) ...

Developed by the Crazy Gang at the original Wimbledon, I think, but theirs was the long-ball game.

...and the other side spending five minutes passing backwards,sideways,backwards,sideways for about 80 passes and then finishing with ballooned shot over the bar.....

Well, you've got to give value for money, I suppose.

• RMweb Gold

Jamie Vardy breaks the record for consecutive PL goals. This should please "cary hill" no end....

Great feat, no getting away from it, but I'm pleased you qualified it and said PL record.

The way some people go on you would think football didn't exist before 1992, or whenever it was they decided to give the top flight of football a different name.

Developed by the Crazy Gang at the original Wimbledon, I think, but theirs was the long-ball game.

We prefer the term longer pass (on the ground) rather than long-ball as we are a team predominantly made up of fast midgets and lightweights and high balls are largely useless for us.

In fact we hardly bother to pass the ball at all because we make the lowest number of passes per game in the entire Premiership and are also the least accurate passers in the Premiership.

I've no idea how those stats can get you to the top of the Premiership or any where near it but Ranieri seems to have found a way do it.

Edited by cary hill

Great feat, no getting away from it, but I'm pleased you qualified it and said PL record.

The way some people go on you would think football didn't exist before 1992, or whenever it was they decided to give the top flight of football a different name.

I think Vardy equalled Stan Mortensen's (Blackpool) post war record of scoring in eleven successive matches tonight.

Jimmy Dunne (Sheffield United and ex-IRA) up next, who scored in twelve successive matches in 1931/32,

Morty actually scored in eleven successive matches and was then injured but came back to take his total to fifteen in consecutive appearances. He also scored in eleven consecutive FA Cup games, not always on the winning side. Great achievement by Jamie Vardy I hope he gets many more. 

I'm not a soccer person but watching the France - England highlights the other day I noticed England's anthem was God Save the Queen. Pardon my ignorance but I thought that was the UK anthem. Isn't Englands Land of Hope and Glory?

Regards, Les.

Pretty sure that the anthem of all parts of the UK is supposed to be "God save the Queen", but the Welsh and Scots decided they wanted different songs, despite being part of the same Kingdom, so they get their own tunes played. It doesn't mean England also have to be so petty, but it is a bit weird if there's a home nation clash, and one side plays "God Save the Queen", and the other, "Flower of Scotland", so I suppose there is room for an English anthem under some circumstances. Having said that, I'll gladly bet that most Englishmen couldn't get beyond the first 5 words of "Land of Hope and Glory" or 12 words of "Jerusalem", but they could have a decent go at the first verse of "God Save the Queen"!

Shock as Vardy fails to score but never mind as our other gem Riyad Mahrez decides to score Leicester City's first Premiership hatrick since Stan Collymore (remember him?) back in 2000.

The unfashionable and unfancied East Midlands club returns to the top of the Premiership....again.

8 points needed for Premiership survival.

• Like 3

Shock as Vardy fails to score but never mind as our other gem Riyad Mahrez decides to score Leicester City's first Premiership hatrick since Stan Collymore (remember him?) back in 2000.

The unfashionable and unfancied East Midlands club returns to the top of the Premiership....again.

and just think we (OLDHAM) could of purchased mr vardy for £30k  from Halifax  but our chairman thought him " to much of a risk "   ah well another one that got away 

• RMweb Gold

I am sure that many of us remember Stan Collymore. But not necessarily for his footballing skills.

• RMweb Gold

I think that this season, more than ever, we can see that there are lots of good* players in the premier league but not so many good teams.

*substitute expensive if you like.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

So far as I know he does not live in Scotland and he is definitely not Scottish - so this does seem a bit strange.

• RMweb Gold

Did anybody watch last night's Panorama :http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06tkl9d/panorama-fifa-sepp-blatter-and-mefronted by the journalist that FIFA banned, Andrew Jennings?

His exposure of the stinking cesspit of corruption that is FIFA was fascinating. All power to the Feds and the Swiss prosecutors to nail all those crooks in the high levels of the football gravy train from Blatter downwards. I did like the US Senator who commented in the hearing that to call that lot a 'Mafia' is doing the Mafia a disservice!

One had to feel sorry for the coach in the Cayman Islands who said that the two promised pitches and grandstands never materialized (only one pitch on its own..no grandstands or cover from the heat) and that the $X00000s to pay for it all went into the bank account of someone from FIFA/CONCAF

It would seem that the FIFA organization is now so mired in corruption and dirty dealings that a completely new set-up is needed, led hopefully by honest folk.

One has to feel sorry for the 'front line' lower orders who always put on a good world cup.

Edited by Re6/6