The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

.....is West Ham's cause for celebration - only 52 years since the last time!

I'd come in from outside and SWMBO was on the PC and she said " Do you want to know the result?" I said "Go on then" , "3-0" she said.

I said "I told you we'd get hammered" . She said "No 3-0 to West Ham".

Me :O  :no:  :sungum: in that order!

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Following Final Score today, I thought it was a nice touch that Jose Mourinho commemorated his 100th PL home game by giving the rest of the league a head start. Either that, or it was a shrewd tactical move to persuade the boss to buy Messi, Ronaldo, Pogba and a few others in the next couple of days. Seriously, I have a feeling that certain clubs will be spending big before Tuesday.

Whatever it was, I'm not worried - it can't simply have been that Chelsea were outplayed, after all (!), and anyway, I keep telling myself that I'll take no notice of the table until 10 games have gone!

What's particularly galling, is when s**t like Arsenal, have got 2 wins & a draw from 4 matches, yet have only scored a single goal so far & the points came as a result of 2 own goals. There is NO justice, especially when you consider just WHO Arsenal's goalkeeper is. Mourinho must be regretting THAT decision.

This seems a bit of a harsh early season verdict from the local Highways Department on the sort of people and football you could expect to see when you actually get to the ground:

post-9751-0-47066900-1440950230.jpg

It should be COALVILLE Town FC. It's a pity "Action Man" doesn't live in Coalville anymore, as he would soon have put things right.

Edited by cary hill

What's particularly galling, is when s**t like Arsenal, have got 2 wins & a draw from 4 matches, yet have only scored a single goal so far & the points came as a result of 2 own goals. There is NO justice, especially when you consider just WHO Arsenal's goalkeeper is. Mourinho must be regretting THAT decision.

Sort of an own goal there, which is ironic really, 'cos....

Wonder who he will blame/pick on/bully to deflect the flak this time.

Oddly, he didn't seem to blame anyone in particular, but then, I think that he and Pardew get on OK, so Mourinho did his "grudging respect" act!

Oh, and let's not pretend that Jose is by any means the most miserable, complaining manager, let alone the only one...

Oh, and let's not pretend that Jose is by any means the most miserable, complaining manager, let alone the only one...

He's got less competition this season as Fat Sam is (temporarily?) lost to the Premiership and Fat Stevie B was relegated with Hull City.last season.

We desperately need Neil Warnock to return to Premiership management.

Edited by cary hill

We also need more English players actually starting Premier League games.At this rate a decent player in league 1 will get in the squad.

Well we already have a Championship level goalkeeper and a one season wonder striker in the current squad.

I see that Wayne Rooney has now scored as many goals as any other man for England, which surely makes him one of the all-time greats, up there with Bobby Charlton and Owen Goal.

Still, I've been looking at the stats, and I can't find out how many of Sir Bobby's goals were soft penalties against San Marino...

I know it's an old argument, but it really is time that San Marino, Gibraltar (sorry, new boys, but you are cr@p), Liechtenstein, Andorra and a few of the others had a mini group of their own, with just one of them going to the main group stages. With the possible exception of the Faroes, none of these teams present any meaningful opposition, or even try to do anything other than defend and foul. Saturday's game wasn't any sort of match, was it? Not really. Some of the pundits are saying "you mustn't deprive these teams of the chance to play at the highest level", but I say "why not?" If they're good enough in the play-off group, they'll play with the proper teams. The opportunity is still there, but they have to earn the chance. I'd like to play tennis at Wimbledon, but I don't expect to get thrown into the main draw just because the LTA acknowledge my existence...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see that Wayne Rooney has now scored as many goals as any other man for England, which surely makes him one of the all-time greats, up there with Bobby Charlton and Owen Goal.

Still, I've been looking at the stats, and I can't find out how many of Sir Bobby's goals were soft penalties against San Marino...

I know it's an old argument, but it really is time that San Marino, Gibraltar (sorry, new boys, but you are cr@p), Liechtenstein, Andorra and a few of the others had a mini group of their own, with just one of them going to the main group stages. With the possible exception of the Faroes, none of these teams present any meaningful opposition, or even try to do anything other than defend and foul. Saturday's game wasn't any sort of match, was it? Not really. Some of the pundits are saying "you mustn't deprive these teams of the chance to play at the highest level", but I say "why not?" If they're good enough in the play-off group, they'll play with the proper teams. The opportunity is still there, but they have to earn the chance. I'd like to play tennis at Wimbledon, but I don't expect to get thrown into the main draw just because the LTA acknowledge my existence...

Agreed, but what about Australia? They have already started their qualifiers for the 2018 WC, so 3 year lead in to the tournament proper.

For many years, they were in the somewhat obvious Oceania group. The problem being, after trotting around various mysterious islands of the Pacific, winning occasionally by almost cricket scores (world record of 31-0 against American Samoa - truly), the group only constituted 1/2 of a WC position, so had to endure a playoff against the 4th (I think) candidates of the South American group. VERY difficult to beat South Americans at their national religion!

At times they've had to meet teams in various combinations of groups, with countries that to be honest no one wants in their groups. I'm thinking of the likes of Israel, which are not exactly popular in groups that have teams containing Arabs!

So its hard for the likes of Australia, but to get back to your point. At least playing San Marino, ought to get in some scoring practice, which Rooney has failed to do & thus not regained confidence to assist Man Utd. As you & I are both Chelsea fans, is that a bad thing?

:sungum:

But then, Robin, I don't think you can really compare eras. That possibly contradicts my earlier post, but to compare Greaves with Rooney or, say, Peter Crouch (whose goal-per-minute average must be half decent), is meaningless, given the 40 years between them. Actually, it's not really a contradiction, because I think my original point was that when Rooney gets his 50th goal, it won't make him a better player than Bobby Charlton. I'm not saying he's worse, mind you, just that it's nigh-on impossible to compare the two.

• RMweb Gold

A few points here...

Mark Hughes must rank as one of the most blind, whinging managers around- how did he not see Adam's latest stamp ?

But, in the same context as Australia, it always hurt that he, and Rush and Giggs never got to play in the big European and World competitions. Wales were always unseeded and played the top countries in their group games so never progressed. This time, we have a chance.

I agree that you can't really compare players from different eras.

Rooney has scored 28 of his International Goals against countries which didn't exist or weren't recognised as "viable" International sides in Charlton's time.

Charlton played 25 times in the British Home International Championship scoring 13 goals.

I suspect the Home Internationals were more "competitive" than some of the recent England qualifying games against various "new" countries ending in "IA" or the mountain top republics.

I wouldn't mind seeing how many metatarsals Rooney would have left after kicking one of those medicine balls that Charlton used to occasionally shoot into the goal from 25 yards out......

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 2

But then, Robin, I don't think you can really compare eras. That possibly contradicts my earlier post, but to compare Greaves with Rooney or, say, Peter Crouch (whose goal-per-minute average must be half decent), is meaningless, given the 40 years between them. Actually, it's not really a contradiction, because I think my original point was that when Rooney gets his 50th goal, it won't make him a better player than Bobby Charlton. I'm not saying he's worse, mind you, just that it's nigh-on impossible to compare the two.

Not really, because there is no comparison, Bobby Charlton is head and shoulders above Rooney solely on a footballing level.

Being one of only two Englishmen to hold a World and European Cup winners medal might not prove it but if anyone seriously thinks that Rooney will be talked about in the same terms as Charlton needs to wobble their head. 

As for the goal-scoring tally, it's disappointing to see the record equalled, and then bettered, with penalties, which seem to be given out quite freely these days.

And I'm with you most of the way on Charlton vs Rooney, RD - while I am trying hard to be fair, and not indulge in Rooney-bashing (and I would still contend that it's a futile task to compare eras, as playing equipment and conditions were so vastly different even 30 years ago), I will have to concede that when you do compare the two, Rooney lacks a certain indefinable class, if nothing else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

and so after nearly three months over 100 quality candidates numerous interviews wild speculation we have appointed one Darren Kelly to be the manager at Oldham next season , Darren who you ask ? hes the under nines coach at Sunderland  to say i and most fellow latics are  underwhelmed is an understatement !

Well that, predictably, has come to an end.

Let's hope, as all fans do, that David Dunn will be better.

(Even if he comes to the job with even less experience but with, some how(?), more credibility!)

Kev.