The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

My theory on the Premiership relegation battle is that my beloved Q.P.R. are favourites for relegation with Sunderland second favourites for the drop. Third place will probably be filled by Leicester City or Burnley. I think with any fines imposed on Rangers over their financial  losses in the past two seasons will see them destined to spend a number of years in at best the Championship. I am not a pessimist having supported them through thick and thin since 1956,but more a realist.

A complete clear out of dead wood is needed and some of the free riders should become destined to the realms of ex-players, not just of QPR but football generally.Won't happen of course, but should do in the real world.

Regards.

My three for the drop from the Prem are Leicester (too far adrift), QPR (too many prima donnas unfit for a fight) and Sunderland (who look a mess). Burnley could make the drop instead of the Black Cats which would mean all three newly promoted sides will have gone. Not a good sign for those who finally escape the tightest Championship race for years. Sadly it is looking like injuries may just cost Derby County. A lucky point on Saturday, but things not looking good with Middlesbrough, Wolves and Watford in our next three games!

• RMweb Gold

My three for the drop from the Prem are Leicester (too far adrift), QPR (too many prima donnas unfit for a fight) and Sunderland (who look a mess). Burnley could make the drop instead of the Black Cats which would mean all three newly promoted sides will have gone. Not a good sign for those who finally escape the tightest Championship race for years. Sadly it is looking like injuries may just cost Derby County. A lucky point on Saturday, but things not looking good with Middlesbrough, Wolves and Watford in our next three games!

When the going gets tough Andy!, you seem to have a squad of battlers there, the 6 pointers coming up will test their mettle and see whether a worthy Premier league contender resides at Pride Park, or whatever it's called this week!

Mike.

• Like 1

.....favourites for relegation with Sunderland second favourites for the drop. ......

Much as I admire Gus Poyet, who represents the star-turned-struggling football manager, I think that asking him to perform "The Great Escape" yet again might be a bit too much this time.

• RMweb Premium

At the other end of the football wealth table, I'm finding it hard to muster up anything more that mild frustration about Chelsea's exit (and the manner of it) from the Champions' League last night. By all accounts, it was for long periods a scrappy, ill-tempered and unappealing spectacle. Definitely good time to pretend I was focused on the Premier League all along.

Of course, there's now a very real possibility that there will be no English clubs at all in the quarter-finals of the CL. If that is so, and the same happens again, how long before UEFA decide that there shouldn't be 4 English teams in the competition? That's not a rhetorical question, by the way - I really don't know how often they review the merits of the various European leagues.

Meanwhile Chelsea limp along towards the end of the season. Losing 2 points at home to the Saints.

Will they have enough of a lead, to make it as Premier League champions? Shows how bad City & The Rest are!

• RMweb Gold

Much as I admire Gus Poyet, who represents the star-turned-struggling football manager, I think that asking him to perform "The Great Escape" yet again might be a bit too much this time.

He ain't going to get the opportunity to try.

Although who the heck we can get at this stage of the season is a mystery to me.

I agree with your main point regarding Chelsea, from all accounts it was a woeful match, for which Chelsea deserved to lose. But isn't it 3 Premier League clubs with a 4th in a play off stage round?

Yes, it is, but the play-off is usually a fairly easy one, given the seedings and the relatively high rating of the PL. I was just musing as to whether this might be reduced at some point, from 3+1 to 3 or 2+1, if English teams don't start to do a bit better in the next few years.

By the way, I'd thought I'd share with you all a brilliant idea I had the other day! There has long been discussion regarding the merits of the Europa League winners getting a place in the following year's Champions' League, so here's the logical next step. Are you ready? It deserves a line of its own:

If the winners of the FA Cup come from the Football League (or lower), they should get instant promotion to the Premier League!

I await your reasons for why this would be a bad thing. For any argument you give, I am confident that I can name 3 stupider ideas which have become reality in world football in the last 10 years.

• RMweb Premium

By the way, I'd thought I'd share with you all a brilliant idea I had the other day! There has long been discussion regarding the merits of the Europa League winners getting a place in the following year's Champions' League, so here's the logical next step. Are you ready? It deserves a line of its own:

If the winners of the FA Cup come from the Football League (or lower), they should get instant promotion to the Premier League!

I await your reasons for why this would be a bad thing. For any argument you give, I am confident that I can name 3 stupider ideas which have become reality in world football in the last 10 years.

The obvious question is, how would a Premier League club be selected for relegation to replace them? A club finishing 4th last would take a dim view of being 'safe', then a week or so later, being kicked out, assuming the existing promotion rules didn't get overridden. Also this would only occur, every time the moon turned blue, as very rare a non Premier League club wins the FA Cup.

That's almost sedition - Millwall might only be half a dozen flakey results away from the Premier League  :jester:

Not criticising the FA Cup winners promotion idea - imagine what would happen if Bradford had gone all the way!! Does that mean they would get bumped up a few divisions. Hey great idea - they may break our pitiful 11 point worst tally in the Premier League!!!

• RMweb Gold

Not criticising the FA Cup winners promotion idea - imagine what would happen if Bradford had gone all the way!! Does that mean they would get bumped up a few divisions. Hey great idea - they may break our pitiful 11 point worst tally in the Premier League!!!

If Bradford could carry over the points already accrued against PL opposition, that would give them a healthy start!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sunderland appoint a new manager, guess who their next match is against.......West Ham.

I wish I had a £10 for every time this has happened to us. We must hold some kind of record for playing teams that have just sacked their manager. :no:

Rob

Well its Dick  Advocaat who is also known as "Egg Flip".   (only the older Alcoholics like myself will remember this) Until the end of the Season.

That's what's so good about the Stadium of Light, that feeling of stability for the supporters.

The Super Hoops. PML.

Regards.

The obvious question is, how would a Premier League club be selected for relegation to replace them? A club finishing 4th last would take a dim view of being 'safe', then a week or so later, being kicked out, assuming the existing promotion rules didn't get overridden.

In my masterplan, the FA Cup winners would replace one promoted team (or possibly replace the 6th-place Championship team in the playoffs, but I'd prefer instant promotion), not increase the number of relegations. It's only the extreme rarity of such a situation that makes it workable, in my view!

• RMweb Gold

So you would have teams slog their guts out over a 46 game season, earn promotion, only to be then told 'sorry, not this time'?

Somehow I can't see it catching on, even if it were to be once in a blue moon.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

So you would have teams slog their guts out over a 46 game season, earn promotion, only to be then told 'sorry, not this time'?

Somehow I can't see it catching on, even if it were to be once in a blue moon.

Well why not, that's what happens in the play offs, and that's a bloody stupid money making idea if ever there was one.

Mike.