The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Hurray! Our Leicester City Premiership Season Tickets this afternoon. No idea what the postie was up to, but I suppose a few more hours "delay" after a 10 year wait is neither here nor there.

In celebration I thought I'd list a few "memories" of the managers and players of the "twilight decade" of Leicester City, lest their contributions be forgotten (in no particular order):

Danny (Yellow Card) Tiatto (73 apps, 3 goals) - mostly a dangerous looney when on the pitch

Patrick (Red Card*) Kisnorbo (126 apps 10 goals) *occasionally rescinded on review after poor refereeing decisions.

Holloway's Hungarian "Dream Duo" - Zsolt Laczko (9 apps) and Gabor Bori (6 apps) - how could we forget them - quite easily as it turned out.

Ian Holloway telling us to "chill out and have a sarnie" as he worked his miracle of relegating the club to the Third Tier for the first time ever.

"The Golden Age of Gary Megson" - thankfully it only lasted 41 days.

Elvis Hammond (58 apps, 8 goals) - a fraud as a "striker" at Leicester and more recently a jailed money launderer.

Hossein Kaebi (and his translator) (3 apps) - apparently a famous Iranian International with 89 full caps.

Milan Mandaric promising "I'll get you out of this division (Championship) (within 3 years) and keeping his promise by getting us relegated.

Stephen "Treatment Table" Clemence and Lee Morris also known as Lee Morris-Injured to give him his full name.

Prolific strikers such as Barry Hales, Geoff Horsefield, and Mark ("Big Dave") De Vries - almost 100 appearances between them and only 12 goals.

Rubbish team kits by Jako and Joma and their cousin Burqa Burrda

Martin "Mad Dog" Allen - a big clue in the name might indicate why his managerial tenure was brief.

Full backs Alan Maybury and Robbie Neilson - both fondly remembered for having no recovery pace whatsoever when caught upfield.

Great goalkeepers like Rab "The Brickie" Douglas, Kevin "Watch the Bounce" Pressman and Chris "Watch the Back Pass" Weale, not forgetting Mark Bunn.

Astrit Ajdarevic and his headband  no, it was actually a "headstring" - that's all I can remember about him.

Ricky Sappleton (1 app) - his almost complete lack of first team action gave him time to win the "Tour de France" twice using only a stationary exercise bike at the club's Belvoir Drive training ground.

Wayne Brown and his divisive political views - a bit right-wing for Leicester.

Ryan Smith throwing his City shirt to the ground - subsequently he threw his football career away as well.

Other players (mostly past their "sell-by" dates), whose contributions should not be forgotten include Scot Gemill (son of Archie), Patrik Gerrbrand, Jason Jarrett, Kelvin Etuhu, Andrew Johnson (the famous Welsh International not the English serial diving one), Darren Kenton, Jamie Clapham, Carl Cort, Radostin Kishishev, Josh Low, David Martin (son of Alvin and decent goalkeeper) ,Chris Makin, Nathan Blake, Miguel Vitor,Momo Sylla, Lee Hendrie......

Thank goodness that's all over... well at least for a season....

Well at least they gave us the boy Lineker about 100 years ago...............

Good to see Gillingham making their usual flying start lulling the other 23 teams into a false sense of security with a stunning 4 - 2 defeat to MK Dons - and they're not even a "proper" team............ :no:

Well a 1-0 win at home to Rotherham is not going to set the world alight but three points is three points. We played better at Wembley and lost. Not too many changes to last season. Wisdom and Bamford have gone back and Thorne is injured. The new lad Cyrus Christie looked promising and Hendrick has carried on his good form. The new boy from Real Madrid came on in the second half although the jury is out on him.

0ne down after eight mins and its here we go agian only for new boy fontte to terrorise the colchetser defence to go in at half time 2-1 up 

second half fontte tired and colchester get a deserved  equeliser  cant complane at two goals away from home and a point 

hope still springs eternal cmon tics 

How did I miss the twelve - repeat, twelve - goals shared between Dagenham and Brentford, not including penalty shootout?

Probably because that competition gets very little publicity compared to some other one which I believe starts on Saturday. Apparently only 1,576 didn't miss it - a shame really.

Edited by cary hill

Great to see MK Dons draw Man Utd in the 2nd round of the Capital One Cup, their manager Karl Robinson was my old neighbour and school friend from nursery till the end of senior school. Both him and his brother were football mad, and it's good to see Karl become a successful manager after his playing career was cut short through injury.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was looking at the "Berkhampstead Willy" thread and it lead me, via that page, to this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28796590

I don't know what your view of this is, but if I take a video of a goal at a match, surely that video is different, albeit in angle or timing, from the one on the TV. If the Premiership clubs can't be bothered to police it in ground, then they can't be moaning about it breaching their "rights". I wonder if this was the real reason behind the "security" scare a Man U.recently. 

Like it or not social media and instant recording and uploading of events is the norm now and the old rules aren't suitable for the environment they are in. Maybe Sky et al should be buying video online at much cheaper prices than the Premiership is charging.

As for "intellectual" rights, rather a contradiction in terms referring to some of the antics of some on the field.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

• RMweb Gold

I was looking at the "Berkhampstead Willy" thread and it lead me, via that page, to this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28796590

I don't know what your view of this is, but if I take a video of a goal at a match, surely that video is different, albeit in angle or timing, from the one on the TV. If the Premiership clubs can't be bothered to police it in ground, then they can't be moaning about it breaching their "rights". I wonder if this was the real reason behind the "security" scare a Man U.recently. 

Like it or not social media and instant recording and uploading of events is the norm now and the old rules aren't suitable for the environment they are in. Maybe Sky et al should be buying video online at much cheaper prices than the Premiership is charging.

As for "intellectual" rights, rather a contradiction in terms referring to some of the antics of some on the field.

Rob

So presumably, as well as the ticket price, once inside the ground one will have to keep ones eyes shut until a fee is paid to these leeches so you can actually see their "intellectual property".

What a load of absolute b#ll#cks.

Mike.

Rob

I don't think the ban on laptops and tablets is anything to do with recording the match - mobile fones which have far better cameras, and indeed cameras themselves are still allowed during matches. As they have been very specific about which kinds of device are banned and indeed the dimensions of allowed devices, this is definitely a security measure.

Mark

Sky's English Premiership Final Table for the 2014-15 has accidentally been leaked on social media. Mobile phone screenshot below:

post-9751-0-86018300-1408106281_thumb.jpg

Very tight at the bottom and they seem to have made a terrible mistake with the relegated clubs.They obviously don't fancy any of the "also rans" attempting to bridge the gap to the elite seven this season, but they may be using the wrong algorithms.

Edit: Pulis has messed this table up by leaving before the season has even started and Crystal Palace's final position now needs reviewing.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

It is interesting how many predictions have Manchester Utd back up in the top-four. Okay, the Moyes era was pretty disasterous, but for me said more about SAF's ability to get more out of ordinary players than Moyes' ability as a manager (although he in no way set the world alight in that line). van Gaal does not have the quality squad of Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal or even (dare I say it) Liverpool, so I do not share the optimism this season (even without European football). I suspect they will do better than last season, and may even grab fourth if lucky.

Hull have the distraction of Europe, and that can kill a team, and Southampton may not do as well as predicted here.

Palace have no doubt gone from being a solid mid-table bet to being one of the favourites for the drop. It is amazing the influence on a manager in these circumstances and I am pretty sure Pulis will not be out of work for long.