The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

A proper ding-###### for the start of Ramadan!

Edit: Strange to relate that the Vietnamese unit of currency is a proscribed word, or indeed Edward Lear's luminous-nosed character.

...or indeed the sound of a bell....

• RMweb Gold

I burst out laughing when Gary Lineker asked Ruud Gullit if, when he was a manager, he had ever left any big names on the bench ............  with Alan Shearer siting in the chair next to him. Brilliant

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm wondering what the excellent Brazil side of '82 make of the current side with instead of Socrates and Zico we now have Hulk and Fred.Both can't hit a barn door with a banjo.

Awful refereeing - had he ever done a match at this level before - or was that the intention?

Some of these World Cup referees are so bad that they are making Howard Webb look as if he is at the top of his game.

I see that Irmatov (Uzbekistan), probably the best ref at this World Cup, has got the Holland v Costa Rica game tonight. Let's hope he can stop Robben "falling over" quite so often with some tough love.

....I see that Irmatov (Uzbekistan), probably the best ref at this World Cup, has got the Holland v Costa Rica game tonight. Let's hope he can stop Robben "falling over" quite so often with some tough love.

Well, it's gone to a penalty shootout here in Salvador. The Dutch haven't been able to get past Navas during the 90 + 30.

Subbing the goalkeeper in the last minute of extra time purely for the penalties was something I've never seen before.  Add in the gamesmanship from Krul who was telling each kicker he had seen their previous penalty kicks and it made for an exciting finale...

I missed the games on Saturday.....

Brazil are so disappointing compared to their flowing predecessors - they certainly know how to shut down games this year.

Still fancy Argentina - and I still cannot believe that I actually typed that!

Otherwise something else to do in in Rio (if watching the sexiest women in the world on LeBlon beach becomes tiresome)....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=440564&nseq=14&favsearch=1

Best, Pete.

Subbing the goalkeeper in the last minute of extra time purely for the penalties was something I've never seen before.  Add in the gamesmanship from Krul who was telling each kicker he had seen their previous penalty kicks and it made for an exciting finale...

It shows you how Van Gaal thinks ahead.

Finally worked out why Brazil are so boring in this World Cup - they are too dependent on knackered Premiership players for midfield creativity and inspiration. Add in two profligate strikers, who wouldn't be out of place in the Premiership, and factor in Neymar's "replacement" Jo, who was hopeless the Premiership a few years ago, and they've done well to get to the Semis.

I missed the games on Saturday.....

Brazil are so disappointing compared to their flowing predecessors - they certainly know how to shut down games this year.

Still fancy Argentina - and I still cannot believe that I actually typed that!

Otherwise something else to do in in Rio (if watching the sexiest women in the world on LeBlon beach becomes tiresome)....

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=440564&nseq=14&favsearch=1

Best, Pete.

You didn't really miss much Pete - the Holland/Costa Rica game was the worst bunch of second-rate high-school football I've ever seen! How can a so-called world class team like Holland fart around with the ball in their OWN HALF for about 44 minutes of the first half? Costa rica played fairly consistently, but they weren't exactly containing Holland, Holland just kept playing pass-the-ball between the defenders and the keeper!They appeared to be playing for the draw??? Don't think anyone had explained the fact ONE of the teams needed to win,  to either of them.

Also, they (Holland) managed to be caught offside about 8-10 times - not due to close calls by marginal passes, they had one or two forwards literally STANDING in visibly offside positions as the game moved forward on almost EVERY offensive threat, as we used to say "the blind-school could have figured out they were offside!!"

Personally, I think both teams should have been disqualified for impersonating world cup teams and "anyone - even England (shudder)" replaced for them as moving to the next round - really crap...

I was somewhat expecting Holland to go far, but after this abizmal effort I hope the get beaten about 10 - nil in the next round, they don't deserve anything more.

Discuss... :jester:

Appalling ref, I agree. How come the horrendous knee in the back that saw Neymar stretchered off was not spotted by any of the officials?

I think the referee had decided that the two 'Tom Daly' dives from Hulk, the second of which earned Brazil a goal from the resulting free kick, ought to be balanced as is the modern way in football  :jester:  :jester:

Didn't Charlton once do it in a play off final? Vs Sunderland I think