The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

A Beckham classic tonight. According to his nibs "The World cup is one of the biggest competitions in the world." Really, David?

Wot, bigger than LA Galaxy?

• RMweb Gold

Dunno if anyone else saw this, but I saw a stat that read something along the lines of, "The last time that:

Fulham were relegated, 

a team won the FA Cup from 2 goals down,

Athletico Madrid won La Liga and

Real Madrid won the Champions League (or whatever it was called back then)

was the year 1966... "

Think that this may also be the year when most Everton players (at least until close of transfer window on 31 August) are in England line-up since 1966. Melrose will probably confirm.

• RMweb Gold

I have been struggling all day to remember the  name of the young Everton midfielder who played for  England before moving to Man City - where he has disappeared without trace, Ross Barkley has replaced him both at Goodison and in Brazil. Hope he enjoys watching from home.

• RMweb Premium

I have been struggling all day to remember the  name of the young Everton midfielder who played for  England before moving to Man City - where he has disappeared without trace, Ross Barkley has replaced him both at Goodison and in Brazil. Hope he enjoys watching from home.

That'll be Jack Rodwell, finest footballer to come out of Southport since Jimmy Rimmer! He's had lots of injuries (16 appearances over two years) but is suffering the same fate as Scott Sinclair. Still time for both of them to turn their careers around but it may not be at City. (Also see Adam Johnson)

David

Actually the rumours around here are that Scott Sinclair is set to revive his failing career with a move to the mighty Derby County.

Be a good move for him that. Still hoping the Blades get Brayford back.

Edited by stannyblade

Cant remember a loan player quite like Brayford for us. Loved by absolutely everyone and a top guy to boot. Met him after we played Stevenage and my boy had his photo taken with him.

HIS FIRST NAME IS JOHN, IS JOHN, IS JOHN

HIS SECOND NAME IS BRAYFORD, IS BRAYFORD, IS BRAYFORD,

AND HE'S GOT A BEARD, A BEARD, A BEARD

THATS THE WAY WE LIKE IT WE LIKE IT WE LIKE IT

I see the spray can for marking 10 yards at free kicks has made it to the World Cup. It's been in North America for a few years.

Interesting addition - I also see that Brazil are as good at diving as they ever were, I was "almost" convinced a couple of them were mortally wounded!! :jester:  :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

I see the spray can for marking 10 yards at free kicks has made it to the World Cup. It's been in North America for a few years.

And will supposedly be in the European Champions League next season.

I quite like the idea. Is this actually something positive that North America has done for soccer football?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Interesting addition - I also see that Brazil are as good at diving as they ever were, I was "almost" convinced a couple of them were mortally wounded!! :jester:  :jester:

Yes...that pesky invisible sniper was there again; taking pot-shots into the Croatian 18 yard area...

• RMweb Premium

Croatia deserved a draw at least, the penalty was an appalling decision. Neymar was lucky to only get a yellow, although Modric seemed to be looking for it, his eyes on the player not the ball. The disallowed goal was also a poor decision. The 'keeper didn't hold the ball that was crossed and bumped into the forward.

Unfortunately the Brazilians will take heart from what was an average performance, if that had been Germany instead of Croatia I think they could have lost.

But who knows, early days yet. Plenty of time for more bad decisions and blatant diving and if we're lucky an odd good game or two. It is the World Cup after all.

Rob

• Like 1

don't think anybody saw that coming

Spain 1 - 5 Holland

It should have been Holland 5 Spain stuffed........

Brilliant headed goal by Van Persie. Robben played way better down the centre than he usually does with his club on the right. So good to see how the game picked up after 20 minutes or so. Spain looked old to me. Really enjoyed it.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, England were just not quite good enough; just a little bit careless with the passing and it did not work for Rooney; again. It was a better performance than recent competition showings, and things are looking positive for the future.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus