The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Dave,

to be honest the "Foxes" thoroughly deserve the Championship Title for their performances over the season and Burnley deserve to get promoted as well. As for us we have been very poor this season,especially when it comes to scoring goals (Leaving Charlie Austin 15 of the 54) out of this criticism. Granted we have been tight at the back on most days.

On paper we were as certain for promotion as Crystal Palace were for relegation and although I think a play off place is more or less certain for us I can't see us doing anything in them and Derby will be my bet for the third promotion place.  As for 2014-15 season we will have to have a mega sort out in my humble opinion. Leicester will hold their own and stay up in my opinion,but mainly because teams like Norwich,Aston Villa,Swansea,West Ham & Hull City will not be a great deal better.

Good Luck though to Leicester.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

.......stay up in my opinion,but mainly because teams like Norwich,Aston Villa,Swansea,West Ham & Hull City will not be a great deal better.

You missed Sunderland off your list.

Well you have to keep on believing don't you?

Sunderland need a miracle and these last two games, Man City and Chelsea, both away, seemed like dead cert losses.

In the event, they've turned in two heroic performances and surprised almost everyone.

I just feel gutted for them for what happened at City the other night, especially considering today's result.

So close to being an improbable 6 points from those two games. Will those 2 points let slip at City be the difference at the end of the season?

Liverpool are sadly, odds on favourites now, especially if they win tomorrow at Norwich.

If the do win, even a Chelsea win at Anfield is now unlikely to be enough to stop the premiership trophy going to Merseyside for the first time.

Chelsea? So inconsistent.

Am I the only one who thinks that Mourinho seemed to have given up a few weeks ago and is ready to ditch his beloved Chelsea if and when a certain bigger job becomes vacant in a couple of months time?

Man Utd are very unlikely to make the Europa League. It requires Everton to lose 3 out of their 4 remaining fixtures, with one win and Utd to win 4 out of their remaining 5, or Everton lose 2 win 2 and Utd to win all 5.

I can't see Everton losing that many games and if they beat Utd tomorrow (Sunday), I think that more or less that seals Utd's exclusion straight off.

Having said that, Everton's loss at home to Palace mid-week, was an massive opportunity thrown away. Had it gone the other way with a home win, I reckon Arsenal wouldn't have got back into the top 4. Now it looks the other way and I suspect it'll be very hard for Everton to grab that gilt-edged 4th spot.

There seems to be quite a bit of anti-Liverpool feeling around at moment with many not wanting them to win the title. I happen to think it would be great (cue the disagrees from some brainless people). After all Liverpool have not spent the money that Chelsea and Man.City have recently. They have never won the Premier League and are not managed by a "foreign" manager.

Above all

25 years on. What a fantastic tribute to the 96 people who needlessly lost their lives!

There seems to be quite a bit of anti-Liverpool feeling around at moment with many not wanting them to win the title.

Despite what one or two footie journalists have said to the contrary, I get the impression that there's an overwhelming feeling against them winning it.

I happen to think it would be great (cue the disagrees from some brainless people).

Add me to your list of "brainless people" too.

After all Liverpool have not spent the money that Chelsea and Man.City have recently. They have never won the Premier League and are not managed by a "foreign" manager.

Nowhere near the amount that those two have spent, but they have spent a huge amount of money building this team. A lot more than Arsenal, for instance.

I really think they'll have to spend a lot more to repeat this success next year though.

Foreign manager?

Do you mean not British?

...or should I say not a United Kingdom citizen?

Well I recall that 14 out of the previous 21 Premiership titles have been won by teams led by British managers.

• RMweb Premium

Liverpool are sadly, odds on favourites now, especially if they win tomorrow at Norwich.

If the do win, even a Chelsea win at Anfield is now unlikely to be enough to stop the premiership trophy going to Merseyside for the first time.

Chelsea? So inconsistent.

Am I the only one who thinks that Mourinho seemed to have given up a few weeks ago and is ready to ditch his beloved Chelsea if and when a certain bigger job becomes vacant in a couple of months time?

I don't see that it's Mourinho's fault.

For some strange reason, we're stuck with that useless Torres, while we sell off people that can actually SCORE (the very purpose we got Torres for, at vast expense). Recent sellings have been Mata & Sturridge, both of whom have been scoring for their new clubs. Just how many times this season, have Chelsea been knocking the ball all around the goalmouth, but not between the sticks!

You can blame the ref, (sometimes correctly) but the answer is to score more goals. Simple really, we just need to get players that can score.

• RMweb Gold

For some strange reason, we're stuck with that useless Torres,

As I used to play up front myself in my football days I can really sympathize with what Torres is going through at the moment.I know what it's like to go ages without scoring when nothing goes right for you.20 minutes without scoring was a long time in football in my case. ;)

Personally speaking, given it's the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough, I'm more than happy as a neutral to see Liverpool win. They've played exciting, high scoring football all season and it looks like they are going to be the most consistent of the teams in the top four this year. 

More to the point, I do think Liverpool's revival under Brendan Rogers has thrown some impetus into the English game - for a start, it makes the other teams who looked too comfortable in some ways over the last three or four years sit up and take notice. Bring on the end of the season, and the start of the next because I think the English game has got exciting again this year. Not predictable which is the best thing in my books.

…now returning to the Championship, I've been a weary Charlton fan the last six months. Jose Riga does seem to be doing an okay job but the squad needs a clear out in the summer, irrespective of if we stay up or not. All to play for and with one game in hand still. It looks like Millwall and Charlton might just avoid the drop too which would be welcome as I enjoy our away days to the Millwall faithful, always fun (despite not winning there for some time!) Good luck to them and us one hopes.

I wasn't suggesting it was his fault, but rather a feeling that if a certain vacancy was to come up (????) .....he'd be off like a shot to the job he really wanted.

You could have been playing a certain Everton Loanee upfront these past two seasons ! 

Lukaku must have made a difference.

This season is clearly the fault of Jose that Lukaku is not playing for the club.

Edited by CUTLER2579

…now returning to the Championship, I've been a weary Charlton fan the last six months. Jose Riga does seem to be doing an okay job but the squad needs a clear out in the summer, irrespective of if we stay up or not. All to play for and with one game in hand still. It looks like Millwall and Charlton might just avoid the drop too which would be welcome as I enjoy our away days to the Millwall faithful, always fun (despite not winning there for some time!) Good luck to them and us one hopes.

If you think it is weary supporting Charlton you cannot begin to imagine how it feels to be a Blackpool fan. Started the season with five wins out of six, the best in the club's history, and top of the table. Now on a run of two wins in twenty six games. The club is run on the cheap by tight fisted owners. OK, everybody says that, but the evidence is there for all to see. Will I stop supporting them? Of course not, I'm as big a masochist as any other football supporter. 

• Like 1

Despite what one or two footie journalists have said to the contrary, I get the impression that there's an overwhelming feeling against them* winning it.

*Liverpool

Particularly evident when you only read the Manchester Evening News

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Premium

Torres wasn't useless when he played for Liverpool. Still, the 50 million quid we got from his sale was a sort of compensation...

What a bargain, obviously on his way down! Then you got to buy Sturridge, who hardly ever played for Chelsea as loaned out.