The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Gold

I see David Beckham is launching a new book and American Major League Soccer team.

Is there no end to this man's talents?

It is hard to start a new team but I want to bring a certain amount of history to my MLS team

Someone should try to explain the meaning of history to him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought you meant quarter past eight, going back to sky now, slightly embarrassed

Hi Colin,

Easy mistake to make  :) . Not having SKY I enjoy the ITV coverage of a match each round, but that may be history from 2015 unless all the interested parties cobble a deal together.

It's football Jim, but not as we know it.

Rob

Not sure what the FA have done in regard to that match to earn the title of "nincompoops". I mean normally, yes, but they haven't had time to say much about it, right or wrong.

Now I'm a Chelsea fan, so disregard the following if you wish...

West Brom's second goal - foul on Ivanovic in the build-up?

Poetic justice?

Ramires no worse than at least one player from every PL team?

Discuss!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure what the FA have done in regard to that match to earn the title of "nincompoops". I mean normally, yes, but they haven't had time to say much about it, right or wrong.

Now I'm a Chelsea fan, so disregard the following if you wish...

West Brom's second goal - foul on Ivanovic in the build-up?

Poetic justice?

Ramires no worse than at least one player from every PL team?

Discuss!

Used to happen A LOT under Fergie at United. Now he's gone, they don't get dying seconds goals any more. Sad really - not.

• RMweb Premium

Agree, the FA haven't had a chance to act - or not - in this case, so its probably a little too early to criticise...

The foul on Ivanovic? That was a fifty-fifty challange, Ivanovic lost. As a top-quality defender, Ivanovic should be much stronger that.

The penalty? Exactly the same...a fifty-fifty challenge, from which the Chelsea player hit the deck. Really, really soft...and a decision that Marriner will not look back on with pride. I'm not anti-Chelsea, but that was a point Chelsea did not deserve.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve Yup Im a Baggies fan!

So I'll not voice my opinions on the first 3 but just let the MOTD pundits , press and blogging public speak.

But FA Nincompoops? Its taken them since 1966 to sort out goal line technology (But a good job it wasn't in place then I think!) I watched the Wales v SA rugby Sat evening - SWMBO not happy but that's another matter! - where cheating and foul play were identified by the ref assisted by the 4th official and managed appropriately. How long before football has the courage to address the issue?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

None of the three penalties in the Premier League this weekend should have been given. Reid made no attempt to foul Ramires and I don't even think that it was a dive, just two players coming together. Goal kick, nothing more.

Jaaskelainen had made a mess of collecting the ball but he was reaching out for it on the ground and had no idea that there was a player coming from behind him who then went on to fall over Jaaskelainen's outstretched arm. Certainly not an intentional foul and certainly not a penalty, despite what Shearer and Owen reckoned.

Swansea equally robbed by the referee making a guess at contact through a crowd of players. Even with the benefit of several replays from different angles it didn't look like handball so how the referee was so certain only he knows.  More worrying though for the Swans is their increasing ability to be in a position to give away late goals. As a side with their ability to keep control of the ball it is a worrying trend which won't escape the attention of other managers.

David

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, there was one other penalty in the PL at the weekend which the ever-incisive Shearer described as 'stonewall' (whatever that means) and that was Steve Harper's hopeless lunge at Adam Lallana.  Hugo Lloris ('the sweeper goalkeeper') it wasn't and was duly despatched with customary violence and aplomb by England star Rickie Lambert. Bet the watching Roy was impressed with that one, although I expect that the nerveless Lambert will go all shaky when faced with Manuel Neuer.

Not to labour a point but the penalty given to Tottenham on Thursday was especially amusing.  After sticking a leg out and up-ending Eric Lamela the Sheriff defender turned away theatrically with arms raised hoping to indicate that no contact had been made.  Even the ever-incisive Shearer could have made the point that it wasn't the players arms that were the problem it was the fact that his foot had, undeniably, made contact with Lamela and not the ball!  No need for guessing by the referee on that one . . .

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear Pompey have sacked their manager...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25093818

The team haven't been great lately, but in such a tight league a couple of wins shoots you up the table. Wittingham has been a great servant to the club, through some dark times. People tend to forget we are not a Premiership or Champioship team in league 2, we are - in terms of playing staff - a brand new team. Most fans are just grateful the club is still in existence.

Best of luck to Guy Wittingham for the future.

• Like 1

My club has it's problem with it's owners SISU and is well documented but our owner hasn't quite come out with this load of trollop to it's supporters. :O

We've had a ground move to another town but not a name change yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25174266

I'd have thought the "Hull" bit of the club name was just as big a "problem" as "City" for him in marketing terms.

Dave Jones sacked this afternoon as Sheffield Wednesday manager. As a Wednesdayite, I (and my Dad) are rather happy about the decision as we have been so poor in the last few games with the exception of the 5-2 home victory against Reading, the only game this season which I attended.

My preferred replacement for Jones would be Sean O'Driscoll from Bristol City, but as my team has one of the lowest budgets in the Championship, I don't think if we could afford him but it would be nice if he did come to get us winning matches and up the league.

Up the Owls!

Sam

Sam, it sounds like you brought them luck, so it your fault for not going to more home games. Seriously though Wednesday had plenty of opportunities at Blackpool and just could not put he ball in the net. Regardless of who is the manager, if the players perform like that there is little any manager can do except carry the can for his players' ineptitude. 

Dave Jones sacked this afternoon as Sheffield Wednesday manager. As a Wednesdayite, I (and my Dad) are rather happy about the decision as we have been so poor in the last few games with the exception of the 5-2 home victory against Reading, the only game this season which I attended.

My preferred replacement for Jones would be Sean O'Driscoll from Bristol City, but as my team has one of the lowest budgets in the Championship, I don't think if we could afford him but it would be nice if he did come to get us winning matches and up the league.

Up the Owls!

Sam

Why did Mandaric have to do this now??

Couldn't he have waited until after we'd played them??

I'm sure he did to spite us, as after he allowed Pearson to leave for Hull we then went through the pantomime of various managers including Sven. But once he sold us to our current owners and we lured Pearson back, we're starting to reap those benefits.

Oh and did I mention that we're top of Championship :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  but how long we'll stay there is anyone's guess, after last seasons dismal run post January anything can happen. But I'll enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Regards

Neal.