The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Hailsham Town FC U18 2 - Bexhill United U18 0

A win for the youth team! - incredibly, the first of the season, which lifts us to the dizzying heights of 5 points. Very nice day, and some good football played as well despite a bobbly Beaconsfield pitch. Target man Dominic Onions got the first - latching on to a pass some 50 yards from goal and taking it to the edge of the box, leaving a defender on the floor, and slotting home. The second came midway through the second half - prodded home from close range after a dangerous Taylor corner. Was nice to see the lads enjoying their football and playing with freedom, and a lot of the credit for that has to go to ex-Youth Team manager Joey Stevens, who stepped in today to cover the unavailable Paul Turner. Few stand out performances - the tall Onions, who was a real handful up front, his strike partner Jamie Dickinson, who never stops running, and George Marshall, a very tricky right sided midfielder. Keep hold of him, and I think we might have a genuine prospect.

Seaford up next for the youngsters, home on Thursday night.

Portsmouth FC.

A club in heavy debt, has changed hands four times this season, came close to folding, is in administration, fails to pay its staff four times, and then is forced to make fifty of them redundant, they’ve just been relegated from the top flight, will start the next season on minus ten points...

…and they beat Spurs 2-0 in added time to make it to the FA Cup Final.

It's a funny old game and then some!

Well done to Pompey - not only did they beat a club who stripped them of their best players and their manager, but they proved beyond reasonable doubt that money doesn't buy wins in football - heart does.

<br />Portsmouth FC.<br /><br />A club in heavy debt, has changed hands four times this season, came close to folding, is in administration, fails to pay its staff four times, and then is forced to make fifty of them redundant, they’ve just been relegated from the top flight, will start the next season on minus ten points...<br /><br />…and they beat Spurs 2-0 in added time to make it to the FA Cup Final. <br /><br />It's a funny old game and then some!<br /><br />Well done to Pompey - not only did they beat a club who stripped them of their best players and their manager, but they proved beyond reasonable doubt that money doesn't buy wins in football - <i>heart does.</i><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not sure about Heart, more like fete and luck played their part...Dawson slip and a dodgy penalty verus a Crouch disallowed goal' Still thats football and it will save us getting beaten by Chelsea in the final which would feel a darned site worse than i feel now. BUT good luck to Portsmouth and i hope O'hara can now play at Wembley before we loan or flog him to Newcastle ( could do with him back realy )

Portsmouth FC.

A club in heavy debt, has changed hands four times this season, came close to folding, is in administration, fails to pay its staff four times, and then is forced to make fifty of them redundant, they’ve just been relegated from the top flight, will start the next season on minus ten points...

Why will they start next season on minus ten points? They have already had nine points deducted this season. Come to think of it, why is it minus nine in the Premiership and minus ten in the other leagues?

Good win on Sunday, I think Avram Grant is an underated manager.

Geoff.

With regards the points deduction - the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/23/portsmouth-administration-points-deduction claims 20 points next season, but having read the rules I find it would in all likelihood be just a 10 point deduction for Pompey next season, if it is applied.

Pompey's current story has echoes of a lot of clubs in recent financial crisis - the big difference is the choice of trophy to win! :)

With regards the points deduction - the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/23/portsmouth-administration-points-deduction claims 20 points next season, but having read the rules I find it would in all likelihood be just a 10 point deduction for Pompey next season, if it is applied.

Clear enough. Can they do worse than Lancaster City? Points deducted for administration, they ended the season on +1 point. So they left an opening for someone to 'better' that.

The Premiership are now talking about sixteen million quid parachute payments for relegation. That should help cushion the fall a little. How the hell did they get into this mess in the first place?

Geoff.

Clear enough. Can they do worse than Lancaster City? Points deducted for administration, they ended the season on +1 point. So they left an opening for someone to 'better' that.

The Premiership are now talking about sixteen million quid parachute payments for relegation. That should help cushion the fall a little. How the hell did they get into this mess in the first place?

Geoff.

By buying players they could not afford on wages they had no chance of paying. Sounds familiar as lots of clubs are on borrowed time(and money). As stated before in this column clubs are deducted points as they are deemed to have cheated by living beyond their means and gaining an unfair advantage. To be fair a club the size of Portsmouth with gates around 20000 for home games cant hope to compete fairly with the likes of Man Utd on 75000 gates. BUT more will follow this sticky path and the parachute payment will probably be given to creditors. Its the fans that suffer, so make the most of your cup final as more gloom is ahead. Not for the players though, they will just move on..

To be fair a club the size of Portsmouth with gates around 20000 for home games cant hope to compete fairly with the likes of Man Utd on 75000 gates.

Fair enough, but there's no reason why Portsmouth couldn't have competed with clubs like Fulham, Stoke or Birmingham, all of whom are having great success with limited resources. The mistake was in trying too hard to match the bigger clubs' spending, without the cash to do it.

Anyway, one good thing to come out of all this (and I hope Portsmouth fans won't think I'm making light of the club's woes - I'm not) has been to see the passion and commitment that Avram Grant has brought to his job. He was mocked, quite wrongly, as a nobody when he was at Chelsea (not by me, although I did compare him to the Simpsons' Fat Tony...), and it's great to see him smiling! To tell the truth, and I'm speaking as a Chelsea fan, I really don't care who wins the FA Cup final. Well, I do, obviously, but a victory for Pompey won't ruin my day completely...

• Like 1

Fair enough, but there's no reason why Portsmouth couldn't have competed with clubs like Fulham, Stoke or Birmingham, all of whom are having great success with limited resources. The mistake was in trying too hard to match the bigger clubs' spending, without the cash to do it.

Anyway, one good thing to come out of all this (and I hope Portsmouth fans won't think I'm making light of the club's woes - I'm not) has been to see the passion and commitment that Avram Grant has brought to his job. He was mocked, quite wrongly, as a nobody when he was at Chelsea (not by me, although I did compare him to the Simpsons' Fat Tony...), and it's great to see him smiling! To tell the truth, and I'm speaking as a Chelsea fan, I really don't care who wins the FA Cup final. Well, I do, obviously, but a victory for Pompey won't ruin my day completely...

Fair enough, But Fulham are bankrolled by Mr Fayed and Birmingham by the Gold Brothers and Sullivan, now by some rich Asian chap whose name escapes me. Not sure about Stoke, but dont think they have spent mega millions. The fact remains they fell into the same trap Leeds did a few years ago and now look where they are. Pompey could well slip as low, but for the fans sake i hope not.

Come to think of it, why is it minus nine in the Premiership and minus ten in the other leagues?

Geoff.

Geoff,

Apparantly its down to the number of teams in the respective leagues.

Mind you I'm sweating on our Play-Off place, I think Forest are more or less guaranteed a Play-Off place, I also think Cardiff will stay where they are, but the last spot is between Swansea, Leicester, Blackpool and Midlesbrough.

Hopefully it won't come down to a last match shoot out between us and Middlesbrough, we could seal a Play-Off place with one more win over Watford and a draw, and considering that Blackpool have to play Forest then depending on that result it could be Swansea sweating more profusely than us.

Oooohhhh permutations, permutations. But you've got to admit it's exciting ;) ;)

Regards

Neal.

Yes indeed, and that's the beauty of the play off system. Without it the season would already be over, promotion wise. If Blackpool can't beat Forest I think that's it for us this season, but it has been a terrific season for a little club with 'normal 'funding.

Geoff.

Yes indeed, and that's the beauty of the play off system. Without it the season would already be over, promotion wise. If Blackpool can't beat Forest I think that's it for us this season, but it has been a terrific season for a little club with 'normal 'funding.

Geoff.

Now there's a phrase you don't often see: "the beauty of the play off system"

Got to like a system that promotes teams that finish 6th.

Funny old game football. On Sunday Spurs lose to Portsmouth in a game most people thought they would win. Last night Spurs beat Arsenal, a team that normaly we never beat. As i've said before, all tickets at White Hart Lane should carry a Government Health Warning..

Hailsham Town FC U18 2 - Seaford Town U18 0

Another good win for the youngsters, and a good performance to boot. The opener came about 10 minutes in, George Marshall nodding home a near post cross, before Jamie Dickinson raced onto a through ball to add a second with a fine effort midway through the half. There could have been more - Dickinson and Onions unlucky, while Taylor had a shot well saved. After the break, Seaford came out of their shells a little, but their only genuine chance came 10 from time, a cracking shot which Olly Nicholls tipped onto the bar before gathering the rebound. Hailsham too could have added to the scoreline after the interval - Shearing had a shot well saved, Onions grazed the bar with a header and Betson saw a free kick brilliantly palmed around the post. Pleased with the result though and the performance, the boys did well - goes to show what good a bit of confidence does :)

I am absolutely shredding my fingernails right now - Charlton play Norwich tomorrow, I have a ticket, and I am hoping for a win, obviously...but the whole league could be blown open if both Charlton and Millwall win, putting them right up with Leeds and Norwich going into the last few matches...anyone could win league 1 from first to fifth if results go their way.

Like I said, nail biting! :(

well luton have been on amazing form lately,26 goals in 5 home games and it looks like watford could be relegated,but dunstable town of whom i work for have been doing quite well lately.i have to feel sorry for portsmouth its a shame they got relegated but im hoping they give chelsea a run for there money in the fa cup final.

Wick 0 - Hailsham Town 0

A patched up Stringers side missing the banned Alexander and Putland put in a very gutsy performance at a sun-drenched Crabtree Way today, earning a vital point. Straight from the off, Hailsham were keen and wanted the ball, with Tristan Jarvis a shining light in the centre of midfield alongside brother Ash, and Lee Lock a menace coming forward from right back. Jarvis had the best chance of the opening exchanges, with a shot across goal that was deflected for a corner, whilst Cooper and Schaaf both also came close. Wick moved the ball around nicely, but couldn't find a killer ball, with Jenner called into action to make two good saves late on. Hailsham did tire as the second half went on, but found a second wind 10 or so from time, and Schaaf was desperatley unlucky with a looping header, whilst Bryant did well to deny Cooper. All in all, a very well earned point, and a great performance with some players in unfamiliar positions. Really, really pleased with our fight and determination today.

This result, along with Mile Oak's 4-2 defeat at leaders Whitehawk, and most importantly the news that only one side will be relegated this season means that Hailsham Town are staying up!!!

To quote Jonathan Pearce; "It's like Birthday, Christmas and New Year's Eve rolled into one" :) :)

What a great day smile.gif , well if you're a United supporter.

Last minute winner against the 'noisey neighbours' (third time this season biggrin.gif )

Spurs repaying the favour with a tasty win against Chelsea.

Icing on the cake, Terry gets sent off.

Looks like it could be an interesting finish, Liverpool v Chelsea last but one game of the season, Liverpool need a win for fourth...............

Carlsberg don't do dilemmas...........................oh hang on, they do wink.gif biggrin.gif

What a great day smile.gif , well if you're a United supporter.

Last minute winner against the 'noisey neighbours' (third time this season biggrin.gif )

Spurs repaying the favour with a tasty win against Chelsea.

Icing on the cake, Terry gets sent off.

Looks like it could be an interesting finish, Liverpool v Chelsea last but one game of the season, Liverpool need a win for fourth...............

Carlsberg don't do dilemmas...........................oh hang on, they do wink.gif biggrin.gif

Like the bit about Spurs, no problem mate, BUT we need another 3 points next week at yours, and knowing Spurs you never can tell, still if we lose i can always console myself with stopping both Arsenal and Chelsea. If only we hadnt lost twice to Wolves and to Stoke at home !!! Funny old game aint it.

Well, no idea what's happening regarding promotion/relegation now. Had heard, which appeared confirmed, that only Sidley could go up. Now Rye won last night, and the SCFL site says that they have 'finished in a promotion position', whatever that means...

Hopefully we'll find out before June :/

Bank Holiday Monday will see me take in 3 games - Hailsham v Mile Oak in the evening, Brighton Reserves v Bognor Regis Town in the Sussex Senior Cup Final at 3, and in the morning, Rottingdean Village v Ifield Edwards, my first jaunt into County 3 (Level 11 of the Non League Pyramid).

Not been there before, but the ground looks rather picturesque :)

8aug2009131926utc.jpg

(Picture taken from SCFL website, hosted elsewhere to save their bandwidth)

Like the bit about Spurs, no problem mate, BUT we need another 3 points next week at yours, and knowing Spurs you never can tell, still if we lose i can always console myself with stopping both Arsenal and Chelsea. If only we hadnt lost twice to Wolves and to Stoke at home !!! Funny old game aint it.

Given the contrast in usual form between the two teams I'm still flabbergasted as to how we managed to win both fixtures against Spurs this season. Now hoping that we cling on to Premier League status; given that WBA look to be going up, some good derby fixtures should be on the menu for next season!

David

• Like 1