The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Why doesn't football and football media coverage have an enforced break for a month in the summer, like F1.

Then we could have something more interesting in the sports news?  :jester:

Well it could be worse, there could be a sub-thread here, just on the speculated moves between Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool alone! Certainly the case elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested in railways and model railways and that interest carries on all year. I'm also interested in football so why shouldn't that interest carry on all year? Fortunately Waterford United (Airtricity League Division 1) play from March to October which supplements the time when Arsenal, Bolton Wanderers and Southport aren't playing. Looking forward to being at Waterford v Salthill Devon on 4th October for the penultimate game of the season - unless they make the play-offs :-)

David

David,

it's more to do with media coverage of footing the ball.

I once heard a radio interview with a senior Australian cricket commentator who, when on a visit to the UK to report on the test matches some years ago and after an absence of several years, was asked what changes he saw in the UK. He replied that coverage of football had grown to excessive proportions and to the detriment of coverage of other sports.

Footing the ball has become major business but not everyone is that interested, including many of my friends. I  do get annoyed by the media's presumption that all the nation cannot live without football and all that surrounds it.

Jol

• RMweb Gold

I usually have sky sports news on for company when I'm at home, in the background.

Today they have covered baseball, tennis, athletics, cricket, motor racing golf and American football as well as soccer so that's a pretty good range really. With Sky now having a formula one channel I haven't seen any evidence of a break in media coverage. At the end of the day some people don't like one sport or another , some hate all sport with a vengeance. I really don't see why there should be a break in coverage of football. If you like it, watch it, if you don't - in the words of the childrens TV show -  just switch off your television set and go and do something less boring instead. In the newspapers it's the same principle, turn the page.

• RMweb Premium

I usually have sky sports news on for company when I'm at home, in the background.

Today they have covered baseball, tennis, athletics, cricket, motor racing golf and American football as well as soccer so that's a pretty good range really. With Sky now having a formula one channel I haven't seen any evidence of a break in media coverage. At the end of the day some people don't like one sport or another , some hate all sport with a vengeance. I really don't see why there should be a break in coverage of football. If you like it, watch it, if you don't - in the words of the childrens TV show -  just switch off your television set and go and do something less boring instead. In the newspapers it's the same principle, turn the page.

Colin,

I have no issue with dedicated programs on t'box. As you say I can turn it off or change the channel to something less boring. It's the way footing the ball intrudes into tv and radio news that is my major issue.

It's also interesting to see the amount of space by the game taken up in noospapers, compared with other sports.

However, I realise that I am very much in the minority in this forum, so the likelihood of anyone seeing my point, let alone understanding or agreeing with it is  about as likely as Hornby bringing out an RTR P4 loco (or even an EM one).

Jol

Edited by LNWRmodeller

I just finished watching Swansea-Man United on a sports-only channel here, and brought up the TV guide to see what else might be on. I see NBC - a main network -  had been showing it as well! Soccer from somewhere other than North America on a main US network - I wonder how long that will last?

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's the big kick-off later today......in the Conference North (and South). Good luck to all the clubs involved, but especially the mighty Stalybridge Celtic.

Ah, the Bower Fold, one of my very favourite grounds :-)

David

Ive just watched my team put in a great performance against arsenal - you wouldnt know it though, sky sports football first have just spent 20 minutes discussing the problems with arsenal rather than the quality of our performance. It will be exactly the same on match of the day later - such a narrow focus on such a few clubs it infuriates me.

• RMweb Premium

Ive just watched my team put in a great performance against arsenal - you wouldnt know it though, sky sports football first have just spent 20 minutes discussing the problems with arsenal rather than the quality of our performance. It will be exactly the same on match of the day later - such a narrow focus on such a few clubs it infuriates me.

Might of been worse - the discussion could easily be on 'how wonderful' United are!

:scratchhead:

Your pushing against an open door with me there.

You try supporting a team outside the Premiership, its almost as if there is no other football outside of the Premiership, especially where the BBC is concerned. Now the Football season, believe it or not, actually started 2 weeks ago, not this week when the Premiership prima-donnas donned their kit, I settled down on the 3rd August as usual to watch the BBC results show on the Red Button to find it wasn't there, even though all the Football League games were being played.

Now I know the BBC have a program on AFTER Match of the Day showing the Football League highlights, but just for once it would be nice for the Football League to be noticed and appreciated by the BBC, not all of us line the pockets of Murdochs Empire.

Right I'll get off my soapbox now, at least we've won our first 2 away games for the first time, well ever!!!!

Regards

Neal.

UTF

• 2 weeks later...

Coventry's "pantomime" move to Northampton seems to be paying dividends as an entertaining 17 goals (5-4 and 4-4) have been scored in their first two "home" games. The pity is that barely more than 17 genuine Coventry City fans will have witnessed the entertainment.

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Coventry's "pantomime" move to Northampton seems to be paying dividends as an entertaining 17 goals (5-4 and 4-4) have been scored in their first two "home" games. The pity is that barely more than 17 genuine Coventry City fans will have witnessed the entertainment.

Not quite true David.There was about a 1000 'home' fans there on Sunday.It will go along way in paying for the new proposed stadium.Not. ! :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hardly sportsmanship. They gave the goal back in extra time to compensate for a highly controversial goal they scored to equalise in normal time, without which they would have lost in normal time. It was also after they had got their noses in front in extra time. More empty gesture than sporting, i'm afraid. I think it's as well they lost in the penalty shootout, TBH.

But what is sporting? Was a Birmingham player going down with 30 seconds to go and their goalie kicking it out sporting. They knew that that wasted some time and by the time Yeovil would 'automatically' give the ball back time would be up therefore denying Yeovil any chance of equalising. The trainer didn't even come on. The ball was kicked out and he got straight up. I thought the rules now were you played to the refs whistle and he decides if the injury warrants stopping the game.

Yeovil could just as easily cry foul.

I thought it was a good opportunity to let the Birmingham goalie score though!

Gareth

• RMweb Premium

Have just discovered that down to the intricracies of the UEFA co-efficient system, a league two side is 91st and a Scottish second division side is 92nd. The Scottish one is easy - Glasgow Rangers - but the League 2 side? Step forward the mighty Pompey; ranked higher than the record title holders in Scotland!

• RMweb Gold

Have just discovered that down to the intricracies of the UEFA co-efficient system, a league two side is 91st and a Scottish second division side is 92nd. The Scottish one is easy - Glasgow Rangers - but the League 2 side? Step forward the mighty Pompey; ranked higher than the record title holders in Scotland!

What do you expect from a competition where the winner can come from a City where the winners where sometimes they're not even the best side.Liverpool 2005.Everton finished higher in the league that season.

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, the irony is not lost. Take Chelsea in the 2011/12 season...both Spurs and Arsenal finished above them in the league, yet they were champions of Europe. In fairness, we are not comparing apples with apples here...the long slog of a league campaign isn't quite the same as a cup competition.

It did, however, emphasise the fact that league weighting must play a big part. Pompey had an okay single season in the UEFA cup - home draw with Milan was a good result - but Rangers made the final a few seasons ago...and were consistent European participents. I'm really not sure how we managed to be above them...

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus

Oh yes, the irony is not lost. Take Chelsea in the 2011/12 season...both Spurs and Arsenal finished above them in the league, yet they were champions of Europe. In fairness, we are not comparing apples with apples here...the long slog of a league campaign isn't quite the same as a cup competition.

It did, however, emphasise the fact that league weighting must play a big part. Pompey had an okay single season in the UEFA cup - home draw with Milan was a good result - but Rangers made the final a few seasons ago...and were consistent European participents. I'm really not sure how we managed to be above them...

really quite simple the co efficient in scotland is mince whereby down south it is good.WATP