The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Gutted for Peterborough who played some great football this year. Watched a mesmerising second half at the Valley yesterday where Bristol City showed some guts but not enough skill I fear. They'll be back soon though - great fans making the trip down to Charlton.

So another year in the championship, but you know what? I'm just happy we have such a passionate, determined manager at the helm.

Peterborough scored more goals than Hull, unfortunately their defence was not as good.

A strange season for Blackpool; started by wondering if we could win automatic promotion, or would it be play-offs? By the time we were onto our fourth manager of the season we were trying to avoid relegation. As Jimmy Greaves used to say, "It's a funny old game". 

Well done Cardiff, changing to red shirts cannot possibly have had that much effect, could it? 

With Cardiff's promotion to the Premiership next season there will be three Welsh teams in the Premiership - Cardiff, Swansea and Gareth Bale.

Aah Gareth Bale - schoolmate of an 'egg chaser' named Warburton.

That would look good in their games master's CV - he brought on the hottest property in the Premiership and a British (and Irish) Lions captain.

This is what Cardiff has waited 50 years for ( me, 40+ years).

Thousands take to the streets to celebrate into the night.

I know my memory is fading with age, but I didn't recall seeing many of those faces at Spotland in a blizard, or freezing at Plainmoor or standing a crowd of 1,800 at The New Den on a Tuesday night for a Mickey Mouse Leyland Daft Milk monitor cup game......

Overnight, I seem to have turned into one of the folk I least like ...... a Premiership supporter !

Brian R

PS

Well done "The County" - back in the league after a 25 yrs absence.

post-1599-0-67376900-1367834047_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-85694800-1367834152_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-22624600-1367834187_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it me or is Bellamy engaged in an argument in Brian's first photo????

Now that would be unusual.

Agree with you about it being good to have him back though.

• Like 1

This is what Cardiff has waited 50 years for ( me, 40+ years).

Thousands take to the streets to celebrate into the onight.

I know my memory is fading with age, but I didn't recall seeing many of those faces at Spotland in a blizard, or freezing at Plainmoor or standing a crowd of 1,800 at The New Den on a Tuesday night for a Mickey Mouse Leyland Daft Milk monitor cup game......

Overnight, I seem to have turned into one of the folk I least like ...... a Premiership supporter !

Brian R

PS

Well done "The County" - back in the league after a 25 yrs absence.

proper premier credentials tho sold your soul as a club to get their cmon the blue..... Whoops sorry isn't it the red birds now ?

• RMweb Premium

SAF, could be this year, could be two years, absolutely no idea there are that many conflicting rumours and counter rumours, I doubt if anyone other than the Glazers, Fergie, Cathy and possibly Gill actually know...  ...Personally and it's just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing, I can see it being this year, but wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to be proved wrong.

Can you tell me what the winning lottery numbers are for this Friday...please? :D

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me who we are getting as manager next year when (as I assume) David Moyes goes to Old Trafford?

I have a suspicion that it might be Martinez. What do you  reckon Dreyfus?

How about Rafa Benitez as he'll be free at the end of the season. :mosking: Ex Liverpool too.

• Like 1

Enjoy your retirement Fergie!

Replacement - where would you look, Moyes at Everton could be a good fit. Some suggestion they could nick Mourinho from Chelsea's grasp as well. Rafa is free at the moment. I would love them to go for Holloway just for the entertainment value!

Mark

• RMweb Gold

This could be the reason why negotiations between CFC and Mourinhio apparently stalled yesterday. I wonder if MUFC would really want him because he gets itchy feet and looks for  a new challenge every couple of years. Moyes has demonstrated his staying power and loyalty to a club, as has Martinez

• RMweb Gold

The BBC have just announced David Moyes will be the next Man Utd manager.

Was the announcement made in time added on. :mosking: Seriously though I think he'll do well for them.

Remember when football news wasnt a circus? And it wasnt a driving factor for media to be first with announcements. Think they would still be better off commentating.

I would have liked to have heard nothing of any of this news until it was done formally via the clubs involved.

Cant say im that enamoured with how Mr Moyes has let his contract rundown, no compo for Everton.

Not sure who I would like to see in the dugout next season... lets just hope Bill Kenwright has been doing his homework

Ian

Was the announcement made in time added on. :mosking: Seriously though I think he'll do well for them.

So, hmmm, strange day......Like I said before no shock, but a bit of surprise, ah well all good things come to an end, I can understand younger United fans who just don't know 'life before fergie' for me I was more gutted when Tommy Doc got sacked, but then again I was a lot younger then and idolised his swashbuckling side of the 70s......

It may come as surprise but whilst I'm sorry to see him go it's probably the right thing for him and he club,  there does need to be a spring clean and some of the deadwood needs pruning, and I don't think SAF would have got rid of one or two who need to go.

Dunno if it's going to be Moyes for definate  certainly looks that way, not certain myself but our last Scottish manager who had never won anything and had Merseyside connections didn't do to badly so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, if it is, I seriously think it's going to be a case of Auf wiedershen/Au revoir Wayne, and to be honest I''ll be quite happy about that.

So, thanks for (a lot of) the good times, my fav three being in reverse order, 1999 Champions League final, the treble and all that, 1992/3 v Blackburn, first league title in 26 years and what a difference from the year before when we blew it and Leeds won it, and top 1991 ECWC Final v Barcelona in Rotterdam, might seem strange, but if you were there you'll know why, the entire trip was 'special' in pre sky and pre football is trendy times, every red you knew seemed to be there often by nefarious means, it was a good weeks trip.......

So these ring a bell or two, Chris Turner, Mike Duxbury, Arthur Albiston, Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Graeme bloody Hogg, Clayton Blackmore, Remi Moses, Frank Stapleton, Peter Davenport and Peter blue **** Barnes, Fergie's first United 11, lost 2-0 to Oxford (!) at the Manor Ground, I was at that one, won't be at the last but might turn out on Monday to see the parade in M/cr, shouldn't be too busy there as we all know that  there's no United fans in M/cr.......

• Like 2