Ratio Bogie "B" van

JZ

• RMweb Premium

Going through the last box from when I moved house, I came across a ratio "B" van which is finished bar the markings. Needless to say, no instruction sheet can be found. Is there anyone out there who has a finished example they could post a photo of. I have had a look through all my Southern Region books and while the van appears in many photo's, none are clear enough to make out what goes where. I will have enough transfers to do it, so I do not need a reference for any sheets, though I suppose it may be easier with a dedicated sheet. Livery green late '50s early '60s.

Going through the last box from when I moved house, I came across a ratio "B" van which is finished bar the markings. Needless to say, no instruction sheet can be found. Is there anyone out there who has a finished example they could post a photo of. I have had a look through all my Southern Region books and while the van appears in many photo's, none are clear enough to make out what goes where. I will have enough transfers to do it, so I do not need a reference for any sheets, though I suppose it may be easier with a dedicated sheet. Livery green late '50s early '60s.

There's a picture of a blue one here :- http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p37189319.html

Green ones had the same lettering format, but in yellow and a different typeface. My recollection was that this lettering was all that was normally carried by these vans- it was usually the only part of the vehicle where it was possible to discern the body colour below the muck.

The lettering was, more-or-less, as below:-

B

SxxxS

Load xxxxx Tare xxxx

Inside length xxxx

Overall width xxxx

Overall Height xxx

XP

Tare

The text regarding vehicle dimensions was noticeably smaller than the rest.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have got the Modelmaster's sheet on my wanted list. Just waiting now until I have a worthwhile amount for an order.

Thanks for all the responses.

Guest Belgian

Congratulations on finishing this kit. I started mine some 30 years or more ago (I think) but have never managed to garner enough patience to fit all those tiny bits of etched brass nor found an entirely satisfactory method of glueing them on accurately and satisfactorily.

JE

I know exactly what you mean :lol: I started mine last week thinking it would be done in a couple of days. Since then, I've been sticking on the little brass bits, though I did decide to make my own handrails from brass wire rather than bother with the etched ones. There are no spares on the etch so, needless to say, the carpet consumed one hinge and one T handle. Hopefully, I'll finish the handrails this weekend.

Nick

I know exactly what you mean :lol: I started mine last week thinking it would be done in a couple of days. Since then, I've been sticking on the little brass bits, though I did decide to make my own handrails from brass wire rather than bother with the etched ones. There are no spares on the etch so, needless to say, the carpet consumed one hinge and one T handle. Hopefully, I'll finish the handrails this weekend.

I've had my Ratio "B" since the 1990s. It sat untouched in its box for years, then in a fit of activity a few years ago, I built the underframe and body shell, and began detailing the roof. Bill Bedford's leaf-sprung bogies were assembled, running on Exactoscale wheels.

That's as far as I got (see photos for current state of play). There's still no glazing in the windows, no handrails or door handles :O Being mostly plastic, it is still very lightweight so I need to put some weight blocks in there somewhere. Does anyone do the correct pattern sprung buffers for it?

The old Chivers etched "B" kit is going to be heavier, but I haven't started that one yet.....

post-6879-0-08452700-1296915787_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-55324100-1296915827_thumb.jpg

I'll be using MJT bogies on mine and will probably drill out the supplied white metal buffers and spring them myself. I've done this before with wagon buffers. As you say, it will need some extra weight. On the subject of wheels, the kit included a set of 00 Mansell pattern wheels which surprised me for vehicles built, I think, between 1939 and 1952. I'll need to replace these with P4 wheels, so is this correct, or should I be using a disc pattern wheel?

Nick

....On the subject of wheels, the kit included a set of 00 Mansell pattern wheels which surprised me for vehicles built, I think, between 1939 and 1952. I'll need to replace these with P4 wheels, so is this correct, or should I be using a disc pattern wheel?....

I've used discs.

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations on finishing this kit. I started mine some 30 years or more ago (I think) but have never managed to garner enough patience to fit all those tiny bits of etched brass nor found an entirely satisfactory method of glueing them on accurately and satisfactorily.

JE

What I didn't mention when I said the last box from the house move, is I moved here in 1998.

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of wheels, the kit included a set of 00 Mansell pattern wheels which surprised me for vehicles built, I think, between 1939 and 1952. I'll need to replace these with P4 wheels, so is this correct, or should I be using a disc pattern wheel?

The drawing in Mike King's book shows standard SR steam bogies with 3'7" discs.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope nobdy minds me "hijacking" this thread however it ties in nicely with an inquiry of my own. I'm not normally a purchaser of Southern stock and don't know much about it however as I have seen numerous photos of ex-Southern vans in deepest Scotland I figured they got around during BR days. That and the fact that I will operate to a bit of an "it's my train set" philosophy I picked one up when I saw it going cheap on Trademe (Antipodean equivalent of ebay) and now have to decide what version of early BR livery it will wear. I've seen photos of them in (dirty) crimson; (dirty) green and (dirty) blue. So my question is this: Were any of them painted maroon, dirty or otherwise or did they all go to green from crimson? I'm beginning to suspect the latter but would appreciate confirmation from someone more knowledgable on such matters please.

Thanx heaps.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

LIke others I am now rebuilding my Ratio Van B, but have lost one of the buffer/stock moulding. Can anybody point me in the right direction of some acurate (if possible) replacements for these. As there are probably not may alternatives I dont mind if what they are made from or if they are sprung or not.

Any help welcomed.

Sue Rose

• RMweb Premium

There's a well illustrated article on these vans in Model Railways for January 1988 by Eric Kemp, 20 photos mostly in colour, worth finding it if you are building one.

Just happened to come across it last night.

Regards

Keith

Your suspicions are correct! They never wore maroon,BTW,-what period are you modelling?

Thanks for the clarification, forgotten I'd even posted this!

I'm primarily interested in the late '50s to mid '60s era although I might let a few pre-TOPS blue diesels sneak in at some stage! Primarily ex-LNER however my enthusiasm for diesel hydraulics means that my (future) layout will see more than a smattering of western region stock.

Another question for you - what variety of green did the southern region use please? The Humbrol one I have here looks like it might be too dark...

Regards,

Rob.

Rob, I'd say it doesn't matter overmuch. Someone who knows more about chemistry than I do reckons that green darkens as it fades [unlike red], plus it was by no means common for these vans to be washed and very likely that they were covered in crud.

Chris

Archived