Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Better than that! If I recall the old site correctly, they’ve been in CAD development for ages but now the CADs are said to be “nearing completion”. With all the other plates Dapol is spinning in the air, I’d say that’s a good sign, even if it will be a while until they emerge. 

Better than that! If I recall the old site correctly, they’ve been in CAD development for ages but now the CADs are said to be “nearing completion”. With all the other plates Dapol is spinning in the air, I’d say that’s a good sign, even if it will be a while until they emerge. 

Well they are published in the Dapol Digest

assuming this is a composite for 6123 and the headcode box fitted 29s - exhaust port is very wrong for a 29. Most 29s were fitted

with two rotary ventilators on the roof and also bogie dampers. As theyre not in a different CAD colour are Dapol not going for the class 22 style removable

side skirt/fairings on this one? - would be a pity as they fell off just a much as on the class 22. Otherwise shape looks pretty good.

• 1 month later...

Were they ever going to do the 29 in N gauge or did I imagine it?

The N gauge 29 was mooted by RevolutioN trains on a Crowd funded bases.

However, not enough people were interested, so it didn't go ahead.

Shame really

Pepsi

Edited by ukpepsi

The N gauge 29 was mooted by RevolutioN trains on a Crowd funded bases.

However, not enough people were interested, so it didn't go ahead.

Shame really

Pepsi

I've been wondering for the last few years whether the 00 one is going ahead too

I've been wondering for the last few years whether the 00 one is going ahead too

It sure is taking a long time but the folks at Dapol seem to be concentrating on trying to get the 68s right. There are other projects on the go too. I like my Dapol 73s but as is widely known, there are one or two problems with them. If they get the 68s right, I’ll forgive the delay to the 21s and 29s. In fact, I’ll look forward to them even more eagerly.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting really fed up with this now, this is rapidly approaching the biggest con trick ever to be foisted on our hobby. No news from Warley, and they always seem to be "doing something else". How much of all this is merely to stop anyone else producing the last main line diesel not currently produced? And, if so, why?

waiting for Dapol to produce anything is a thankless task and a quick away to get old.  

6 years and no progress?  catenary range, bracket signals etc etc. And little or no communication.

A terrible way to run a business

Better to forget all about them and then be pleasantly surprised if one day out of the blue something turns up that you want. 

Well they did show us some progress on the CAD work in September. So tooling won't be far off. 6 years can be a long time, however if Dapol have been through a rough patch and are on their way out of it, I think it's okay for us to try and understand the situation. At the moment they're probably fast pacing everything to clear their back-log, just because something YOU want hasn't had as many updates as something else, that doesn't mean they are a bad company.

If you are indeed getting fed up, then go get a Hornby one and spend time detailing it. If you think they've announced it just to stop any others from doing it, then keep your theories aside, that's a kind of loco that only Heljan would've probably done (with such low demand I don't see Hornby or Bachmann doing it, and DJM would've sat on it too). Give them a chance to get back into full form. And if you cannot just move on in life. Communication exists in the form of the Dapol Digest, if you ask nicely you'll get a reply.  :derisive:

D6122 pictured at Hither Green Jan 28 1968.
The loco was moved from store at Inverurie Works to Hither Green in Nov 1967.
It was used for rerailing exercises but was withdrawn in late Dec 1967.

d6122.jpg

The RCTS have a photo of it en-route at Crewe....

https://www.rcts.org.uk/popup.htm?img=D6122%20at%20Cewe%20South%20depot%202%20Crewe%20South%2022Oct67&cl=diesels

Edited by Holmesfeldian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We need a positive sighting on the Southern or Western. If we can find one, watch the demand go stratospheric..,

As a devout South Western Englander Mad McC, I very much have a great love of Scottish diesels. They were the most exotic beasts we could encounter on our forays, I have multiple examples in my fleet, from class 17s, highland 24/1, 26 and 27s to Haymarket 40s. A few more NBL products would be more than welcome.

I only ever saw one, D6121/2 the Hither Green beastie at Woodhams, Barry in 1976.

Neil

• Like 2

A few more NBL products would be more than welcome.

I couldn't agree more.

I had hoped that the 21/29 would appear sooner rather than later.

However there have been other interesting releases in 2016, enough to keep me interested.

However, I'm still hopeful that this Loco will be available about the time my layout is ready for the exhibition circuit in late 2017.

Pepsi

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...